TWO

Innocence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


The new chapter two my lovelies, remember this is all new! ^^

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

 

 

The obnoxious bleeping woke me early on Monday morning, as did the heated conversation taking place outside my room. I strained to hear as I brushed sleep from my eyes and struggled to sit upright through the aching pains in my ribs and leg. Hushed voices echoed through the empty and I fumbled with my sheets, desperate to clamber from my bed and find out what was going on.The rabble was obviously two men arguing, their words were hushed whispers that had grown too loud, attracting the attention of the nurse. She hushed them angrily and they fell silent, the bleeping filled the otherwise empty air as the nurse stalked away, her shadow casting light through the closed blinds of my glass walled room. I waited patiently as the door clicked open and two men shuffled in awkwardly, sliding the door shut with a loud click behind them. I instantly recognized Taemin as the taller of the two, his sharp suit and polished shoes standing out against the pristine white of my room.

'You've been here for five minutes and you've already caused a scene.' Taemin hissed at the other man, his hand still on the doorknob as the other man strolled toward the opposite window.

'I caused a scene? Seems I'm not even allowed to ask questions now.' The smaller man snorted, his voice was surprisingly abrasive, a harsh contrast to Taemin's soft voice. I'd constantly laughed at the older man growing up because when he scolded you it was just about as terrifying as being hit in the face with a fluffy pillow. 

'I should have known better than to trust the police to handle something delicately.' Taemin hissed back, turning to lean on the closed door.

'Well as a lawyer I suppose you're just a master of handling things delicately. Do we deal in secrets? PhD in lying too, I suppose?' He barked at Taemin who bristled angrily. 

Lazily I leant over the side of my bed and knocked my palm loudly against the light switch on the wall, flooding the room with bright fluorescent lights. Taemin jumped in surprise, tipping backwards into the door a retort halfway out of his open mouth. The other man merely looked over from his place by the window, one thick eyebrow poised high as he snorted.

'Areum! You're awake!' Taemin exclaimed as he gathered himself upright, shooting a sharp glance over at the other man. 

'Hard not to be with you two arguing.' I sighed, rubbing the top of my aching leg. 

'Does it hurt?' Taemin asked hurriedly, clearly prioritizing my comfort over his irritability with the other man for a few moments as he rushed forward to examine my ankle, he peeled the sheets backward gently as a soft gasp escaped his lips. 

'How bad?' I whimpered, looking down at my palms in favor of my damaged limb. 

'It looks a little better, I'll go get the nurse. You might need a higher dose of pain medication.' I nodded meekly as Taemin hurried away, casting the other man a scathing glare as he left. With two fingers he pointed towards his eyes, before shoving in his direction as he retreated out the doorway. I would have laughed if I wasn't so extremely uncomfortable. 

The other man watched me silently as I continued to stare down at the fingers, tracing the burns that ran horizontally across my palms. His gaze was locked onto me, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd dissolved into nothing but a shriveled corpse by the time Taemin returned with the nurse. Awkwardly I coughed, covering my mouth weakly. 

'You're not contagious, are you?' He asked quietly and I nearly tipped out of bed in surprise. I coughed again, unsure as to who he was.

'I'm not sick.' I mumbled awkwardly, running my fingers nervously through my matted hair as he walked quickly toward the bed, holding his hand out firmly. 

'Hello, 'Not Sick', I'm D.O.' A few seconds passed before his words registered in my mind. I looked up quickly, questions creasing up my brows as he smirked at me. I nearly dissolved into a fit of coughing when my gaze caught his. His brows were sharp over his large, dark eyes. They were a cold shade of brown, much darker than my own and caught the sunlight just right as it peeked through the window, illuminating his soft lashes. 

'You're supposed to shake it.' He said, waving his hand a little in front of me. Hesitantly I lifted my arm and allowed my palm to slip into his. With one smooth shake, he pulled away so he could examine my hands. It was then that I connected the name given to me to the agent I had heard of in passing. I glanced hurriedly at the digital clock on the bed-side cabinet and realised that it was Monday.

'I'm Park Areum.' I mumbled weakly, turning away from him. 

'Oh, I know.' His words caught my attention as I cast him an unsure glance. 

You're who Taemin wants to babysit me?, I wrinkled my nose up in confusion as I examined D.O's small frame. He looked about as threatening as a school teacher. 

'What?' I asked, my fingers curling up, realising being distracted had afforded him a few extra seconds to examine my skin.

'Those look like burns.' He shrugged, as he slumped himself into the chair next to me. Closing his eyes for a moment. I leapt at the opportunity to examine his face as the sunlight hit it, catching and settling on the smooth crease of his nose and full lips, which were set in a soft expressionless line. 

'What were you and Taemin arguing about?' Curiosity got the better of me as I realised Taemin was still gone.

'Whether or not he's paying me enough to babysit you for the foreseeable future.' D.O rolled his head from left to right, smiling as the bones popped and clicked. 

'Probably not. But if the money wasn't better than what you earn now, you wouldn't be here.' He chuckled, as I sat myself up further in bed, struggling with the heavy brace on my ankle. A warm hand enveloped my shoulder and I jerked bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter