Know Your Characters: Korean Consonants Bonus Mini Lesson∼ Double Consonants

Learning Korean and Hangeul (SuJu Style)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thank you all for joining me again. I realized that in our last lesson, I didn't really delve into the double consonants. So, today, I'm going into just a brief lesson on it. So, our lesson for today? "Know Your Characters: Korean Consonants Bonus Mini Lesson∼ Double Consonants"

And our host?

Kim Jongwoon (aka Yesung)!!!

(Isn't he adorable? Come back soon, 오빠!) 

*clears throat* 

Anyway, as I was saying, Mr. Kim will be joining us for this mini lesson as well as the first part of our next lesson.

 

So, as I mentioned in our last lesson, the double consonants are a little difficult to distinguish for English speakers. In all honesty, the best way to better understand them is to listen to a native speaker. However, I will strive to lay down the very basics (and I mean the VERY basics) here.

 

Last lesson I gave you this: 

ㄲ= kk

Ex:   꼬리= [kkori] tail

꿀= [kkul] honey

꿈= [kkum] dream

 ㄲ tends to sound like a hard "ga" sound at the beginning of a consonant or the equivalent of the "k" in "sky". For example, in  꼬리= [kkori] tail, it sounds like "kgori". (Sorry. I don't really know how else to explain it. :/ )

 

 

 

ㄸ= tt

Ex:   딸= [ttal] daughter

땀= [ttam] sweat

 또 봅시다! =[tto bopsida] See you later!

ㄸ is tricky. (At least for me it is.) At times it definitely sounds like the "t" sound in "star" (as in "I'm a Rockstar∼") at other times it sounds more like "duh". 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter