3

Sparks Fly

If there's one thing Taemin's parents always teach him, that is "always smile. It'd make everything better". Which at first, Taemin thinks, it's pretty lame. How are you supposed to smile when you don't feel like smiling? How are you supposed to smile when someone not even smiling at you? Wouldn't it make them think you're weird?

 

And that's exactly what happened when Taemin meets Minho on their first day of kindergarten.

 

Minho is hiding behind his mom while Taemin introducing himself to Minho's mom. It's only when Minho's mom had pushed her son in front of Taemin and his dad to introduce himself to them that Taemin could clearly see the other's face. Even though Minho doesn't smile, Taemin doesn't wither as he keeps smiling. He gives this boy he just met that day the best smile he could possible give. Because Taemin is nice and he listens to his parents.

 

If Taemin has to be honest, those aren't the only reasons.

 

There's something about this boy with his eyes so big, and how he slightly lisping, or how he keeps  scratching the ground by his shoes like he's trying to kill ants with his feet, (also Taemin notice this Minho boy is a few centimeters taller than him. Which he hates to admit)  that Taemin is dying to know. So what if he thinks he has the best smile (his dads approved anyway) and he wants to show them and make this boy, Minho knows about it.

 

"How old are you?" Taemin asks quietly. Both of the parents are in the middle of catching up with each other.

 

Minho looks up to meet Taemin's curious gaze, "five" Minho says curtly. (Ah, so that explains why he is taller than me, Taemin thinks)

 

"I'm four. So it makes you my hyung! Hi Minho hyung."

 

"Oh.."

 

"Oh?"

 

"Good?"

 

"Hmm yeah. I wish I could be your hyung or something. I have no little brother and I only have hyung, his name is Taesun hyung." Taemin gasps when Minho tilts his head "oh I talk too much huh? I'm sorry Minho hyung"

 

Minho doesn't respond, unless how his lips slightly curve into a smile is a respond then yes, he's responding. Not that he didn't want to, in fact he wanted to but he didn’t have a heart to stop Taemin (he actually likes how Taemin talks and how his little hands flail into the air while he's talking. It's so cute. But Minho doesn’t admit it, yet)

 

In other hand, Taemin wants to squeal because this Minho hyung is so cute!!!!

 

"so uhm," Minho starts, drawing Taemin's interest "is this your first day too?"

 

Taemin nods, "I've been waiting for this day to come since forever!" Taemin made a gesture with his little hands showing how much the "forever" seems like (which is the length of his left arms until the tip of his right fingers)

 

 

The parents chuckle when they finally notice their children are talking to each other. Taemin, with his ever so bouncy mood, and Minho being the shy one.

 

"Is he always like that to his new friend?" Soojung asks Jinki

 

"If he instantly likes them, yes he is" Jinki answers, smiling as he looks at his youngest trying to show Minho his new ballet move he just learned from his ballet class "Minho seemed to make a good impression to him"

 

"Well, that's rare. Minho isn't usually good at making friends and that's my biggest concern with him going to kindergarten" Soojung explains. She is surprised of how Minho responds when Taemin asks Minho's opinion about his new move. "they could get along really well, I know that" Soojung was and is never wrong. And nor will she.

 

"Ah let's go they're going to be late" Jinki exclaims after looking at his watch, it's 7.20 which means the school will be start in another 10 minutes.

 

 

 

The parents walk their children to the teacher who is welcoming the new students on their first day at the front door. While Jinki has to tell his son to be calmer and not jumping around, Soojung has to slightly drag her son and assures him that "no Minho, they're going to like you so much. No one will ever hurt you, and if they ever hurt you just tell the teacher or just tell Taemin, he will get him them back"

 

"Taemin listens, make friends okay. Don't bother your teachers so much, just be more uhm calm? And eat your lunch, your appa made it and he would be upset if you didn’t. What else?" Jinki tells his son before handing him to the teacher. "Ah! Also, Minho is a bit shy and he would have a hard time at making friends with others, Taeminnie would help him right?"

 

Taemin scrunches his nose cutely like he is thinking, just to tease his dad he'd say "hmm okay."

 

"that's my Taeminnie!"

 

 

 

"Mom I want to go home" Minho almost cries. In other days, Soojung would give in and take her son home. But not this time, she has to act a little strict to her only son even though her heart clenches in every sniffles her son makes.

 

"where is my brave Minho gone? You're a big boy now, right sweetie?" Minho nods as he wipes his own tears by the back of his hand. "Just one day okay, if you don’t like it then we can try to figure things out. But promise me you'll be a good kid, okay? Don't be shy. I know Taemin would gladly help you."

 

At the mention of the name, Minho's eyes lit even it still puffy "he would?"

 

Soojung chuckles, "So you like Taemin huh? That's good."

 

"He's nice" Minho replies shyly

 

"He is. Ah mommy will be late for work, be nice Minho ya" Soojung tells his son before handing him to the teacher.

 

 

Soojung and Jinki bid their sons goodbye and walk together to the parking lot. Truth to be told, it isn't just their sons who feel anxious about first day of school (despite his excitement, Taemin also a little bit anxious about it but he doesn’t tell his parents), their parents also feel the same way. Maybe even more. Their steps should be a little lighter with no little boy to be held, but no, it just makes them a little heavier.

 

"I never thought sending my son off to kindergarten would be this hard" Jinki laughs stiffly, "I mean, this is my second time! I should've gotten used to this kind of feeling, right?"

 

"Don't ask me. I'm not an expertise in this field"

 

"You and Myungsoo should be thinking about another little Myungsoo or little Soojung then. Minho would want to have little siblings you know"

 

Soojung rolls her eyes, her friend really knows how to kill the mood. "Jinki, don't even start with that" 

 


Happy new year guys!

Please tell me how should I end this supposed-to-be-a-oneshot thing T.T