2

Sparks Fly

Having to balance between work and taking care of his five year old boy wasn’t an easy task for Soojung. Ever since the little boy came to her and his husband's life, it was always a constant move; house-her parents' house-work and it goes on and on and on every day. she entrusted her son to her parents while she and her husband going for work. But as time goes by and her parents could barely handle the energy of their grandson, she and her husband decided to just sign Minho up for a kindergarten.

They thought it was convenient to sign Minho up for kindergarten, because the said kindergarten also provided a daycare for working parents. The only problem was, how were they going to tell Minho?

You see, despite the fact that Minho was a full ball of energy, Minho was also a very shy kid. Minho wouldn’t easily talk to someone he didn’t really familiar with, unless his parents were there to tell him this and that. And so, his parents were worried about it.

Myungsoo -Soojung's husband- thought that night was the night they need to break the news to Minho. Soojung agreed. "now or never" he assured his wife once again.

They were having a dinner, the three of them sat in the dining room. The little boy sat across his parents. His legs had not yet reached the floor which let him to swing his little feet back and forth.

"Minho ya" Soojung started. The little boy looked up and hummed in response. "Dear, you're a big boy now, right? Well, Daddy and Mommy think, Minho should go to the kindergarten." She side glancing his husband, trying to find a support or something.

Minho only looked them with confused look. Myungsoo cleared his throat before saying "what your mommy trying to say is.."

"I am a big boy now and I should go to school, right?" Minho finished for his Daddy.

The elders could only look at each other and back to Minho with amusement in both of their eyes, their baby boy was finally turned into a big boy now.

"Grandma told me about it yesterday, she already explained everything to me" Minho explained, his feet swung a bit faster and it made him a little bouncy on his chair.

Myungsoo and Soojung was relief they didn’t have to go through what Jinki and Jonghyun; their friends went through while explaining the whole thing about kindergarten to Taemin. Soojung was already prepared for questions they might get from Minho. But fortunately, they didn’t have to get those kinds of questions from their little-wait, big- boy

After they dropped the conversation about the kindergarten, they continued to eat their dinner. Minho would chirp in to his parents' conversation ever so often about their day. It would amazed his parents, how the little boy could blend in into their light conversation about the news that came on tv (they let the tv on while having their dinner in case the dinner is too quite)

Thinking her son might need a "boys talk", Soojung told her husband to get Minho ready for bed. While she handled the dirty dishes and cleaned the tables. Even though Myungsoo had told his wife that Minho didn’t like it when his parent's interfering things that he could do by himself. Soojung just shooed him away from the kitchen, "He's five yeobo. He would love some chats with his dad. Besides, he still don’t know how to get in into his pajamas"

Sighing, he turned his heels and made his way to the room at the end of the hallway with a big keroro poster stuck on the door.

"Appa, I can do it by myself." Minho declared once Myungsoo entered the five year old's room.

"Okay I'll just wait here then" he told his son who was running to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

Myungsoo dropped himself to Minho's bed; it was a race car bed, too small for the young dad, sighing "where have my baby boy gone?"

Five minutes past and Minho came back to his bedroom. Taking off his blue pajama from the closet, he brought it back to his dad "Appa, can you help me with these?"

Immediately, Myungsoo sat straight. Why was it so good to be needed by your son? he thought to himself. "You don't know how to wear this?" He asked anyway.

Minho nodded, a little bit struggling to get out from his previous clothes; Myungsoo noticed the shirt was already too small for the five year old. "The buttons are so confusing to me"

Myungsoo restrained himself from chuckling, knowing his son hated it "okay, let me help you" he then slipped the pajama to Minho's body.

Instead of went straight to the bed, Minho who was now in pajama, ran to the bookshelf on his room. "You read books before bed?" His dad asked him.

"Yes. But, reading is hard. So I just looking at the pictures" Minho finally decided on which book he wanted to read -or look at the pictures and walked to the bed.

The young dad watched his son getting immersed in his own world. It was amusing how Minho's eyebrows would furrow and his lips closed in a straight line. Caught in curiosity, Myungsoo asked "Minho ya, what are you reading?" as he scouted closer to his son. Throwing his hands on his son's shoulder, Minho then laid his head on his dad's chest.

"You want me to read it to you?" The little boy asked. "But I can't read appa, I can only tell you how the pictures look"

His dad nodded understanding "it's okay. Once you get into the kindergarten, you'll be able to read every books in the whole world"

"Really?"

The young father nodded, assuring his little boy that the kindergarten wasn’t a scary place nor was it boring. The little boy seemed more convinced by it. In fact, he couldn’t wait until the first day of going to kindergarten.

 

The alarm goes off precisely at 6 AM. Minho doesn’t need his parents to wake him up anymore since the previous month, saying he needed to practice for school (and he is a big boy now, which left his parents sighed because honestly a five years old isn't supposed to say that such thing). Being a nice boy he is, he doesn’t forget to make his bed knowing how his mom wouldn’t have time to make his bed.

The uniform had already been prepared since the night before, Minho carefully get dressed. Now that he knows how to do the buttons, he doesn’t need his parents help anymore (Much to his parents relieved and disappointed that their little boy- one and only- boy doesn’t need their help anymore).

Well, he does still need his parents help when it comes to tying his shoes. Myungsoo had taught him for few times how to do it, but the little boy got even more confused with all the twists and turns. Even though Soojung thinks the face Minho makes whenever he tries to concentrate is cute, she always be one step ahead and put the shoes on her son.

"You're going to make lots of friends right?" Soojung asks while preparing his lunch box. It has a keroro with its big eyes, Minho had chosen it personally.

While munching his breakfast, Minho nods enthusiastically. It also one of those things that relieves Minho's parents, the fact that Minho isn't as shy as he used to be. Maybe he still has the shyness in him but still, the fact that he is excited to make friends is just a relief to both of the young parents.

"Great!" Myungsoo ruffles his son's hair playfully, earning a pout from the little boy. His dad just ruined his hair in his first day of school. "Oops, sorry son"

When the lunch box has been put in his little bag, Soojung tells Minho it is finally time for school. Minho doesn’t tell this to his parents, he feels his heart pounding inside his chest. He doesn’t like the feeling, it is uncomfortable according to him.

"Breathe Minho, breathe" he chants to himself on the way to the kindergarten. His mom ;who is driving beside him glances to her son "what's wrong baby?"

Minho shakes his head "n-nothing mom"

"Minho my dear, I know it's not nothing when you keep clenching and unclenching your fist. I'm your mom, remember?" Soojung says, while her eyes are fixated on the road upon them "would you tell your mom what's wrong?"

Minho sighs, rubbing his sweaty palms against his pants "To be honest, I'm scared, mom" Minho gasps when he notices the school building is finally in sight.

"Scared? Why?"

"you know, I don’t really good at making friends mom. What if they think I'm no fun? What if they think I'm boring?"

The car comes to a halt. Soojung unbuckles her seatbelt and helps her son afterward "ah sweety, you are the most fun person mommy ever met. And I'm not just saying it because you’re my son" she could see his son's lips tugging upwards slightly "In fact, I know someone who would like you. Hmm they should be here..Ah there they are!" Soojung says excitedly once she spotted a little boy being tugged by his father. "come on Minho!"

Then you already know what happened after that. But here's a little something you might want to know;

Minho sees, nope, he looks at the boy in front of him, and his tummy makes a little funny sound. Actually, he himself is surprised by the fact that he doesn’t hated that feeling.

"Hello, my name is Taemin"  in fact, Minho likes that feeling.