1

Sparks Fly

"Appa!" Taemin run to his parents' room, wanted to ask them to buy him a new set of crayons because the old one was as small as his pinkie.

 

Instead of answer from one of his parents, the little boy heard his parents talking. He peeked through a tiny gap. Taemin could only understand little thing about what his parents had been discussed about. Something about him being old enough for kindergarten. Taemin scrunched his eyebrows as he trying to think what is kindergarten to no avail.

 

As the little light bulb appeared above his mushroom hair, he knew where should he be asking such questions.
 

"Hyung!" He knocked once. No answer.
 

He got a little bit impatient and knocked once again "hyung hyung taesunnie hyung!"
 

The little click sound signaling the door was unlocked made him a little more jittery "Taeminnie I have homework to do" his brother complained.
 

While looking up to meet his hyung's eyes, he asked "hyung, what is kindergarten?"
 

Taesun ruffled his younger brother's hair and told him to sit on his bed "why so sudden?"
 

"Appa and dad said something about me entering kindergarten. What is kindergarten?" His tiny arms flailed in the air out of desperation of knowing the answer.
 

Taesun put his hands behind his head as he think "kindergarten uhm? Well, as far as I could remember, kindergarten is a nice place. The teachers in kindergarten teach you how to read-"
 

"You're the teacher in kindergarten?" Taemin asked, hands on his mouth.
 

His brother threw him a confused look "what?"
 

"You teach me how to read, and appa too he teaches me how to count and daddy teaches me both sometimes." He stated "why do I have to go to the kindergarten then?"
 

For someone at his age, Taemin was pretty demanding; he asked this and that and wouldnt stop until he got the proper answers to anything. Taesun would say he sometimes frustrated by it but at the same time, he couldn't complain because Taemin was just special that way.
 

Taesun leaned against the head of the bed, hands on the back of his head while watching his younger brother amusingly. He let out a sigh before answering "It's different Taemin-ah, you're going to meet a lot of people around your age and I guess they have a playground where you can play during recess. Oh and they serve a really tasty food sometimes but other times they taste yucky so, yeah" Taemin looked at him attentively.
 

"But, if you wanted to know more. Why don't you ask appa or daddy?" Taemin nodded and stormed out of his brother's room without saying any words.
 

Somehow, Taesun already know what kind of headache his appa and daddy were going to have while answering his younger brother's questions.

 

"Appa!"
 

The said man put his reading glasses and book down on nearest drawer. Patting the empty space on the bed, signaling the young boy to climb up to the bed "yes?"
 

There was a sound of water splashing on the bathroom, the little boy assumed it was his Daddy taking a shower; he just went back from work Taemin had helped him carrying his bag.
 

The little boy curled his fingers around his Appa shirt, his head rested on his appa's chest "Appa, why do I have to go to kindergarten?"
 

"Who told you?" His appa asked.
 

"I heard you and Daddy talked about it earlier" Taemin had replied with a low tone, fully aware that it wasn't polite to eavesdropping. "Sorry, Appa" he added, afraid that his appa going to be mad at him.
 

Taemin's appa; the renowned singer-song writer also a full time Appa for both Taemin and Taesun plus a faithful husband to his Lee Jinki, chuckled by the innocence of his youngest son.
 

As he ruffled his son's hair, he was thinking of how to answer the curious boy in front of him. He knew his son to well, the little boy wouldnt satisfy with a simple answer "because my Taeminnie is a big boy. And a big boy has to go to school, like Taesunnie hyung."
 

"Taesunnie hyung goes to kindergarten as well?"
 

And by that, Jonghyun chuckled "He was, when he was about your age."

 

"is it fun in the kindergarten?"

 

"I'm sure it is" Jonghyun stated, why was he so sure, well it was because "Jongin is going to be there too." He informed, knowing pretty well that it would draw Taemin's attention

 

And with that, Taemin's face lit up "really?" the little boy suddenly sat up "really appa?" he made sure.

 

Jonghyun nodded, assuring that "Yes Taeminnie, Jongin is going to be there as well"

 

Jongin- the Kim Jongin- was the same age boy as Taemin who lived next to their apartment door. Jongin was a bit taller than Taemin even though Taemin was a little bit older than Jongin. The boys were always spending time together with each other; either playing cars or watching TV or drawing, they always together. So when Jongin's mom said Jongin was old enough to enter a kindergarten, Jonghyun then considered the same thing.

 

The sound of water streams was stopped as a sign that his daddy was finished taking a shower. Taemin didn’t wait until his daddy sat on bed before asking "Daddy, is it fun in the kindergarten?"

 

Jinki looked over to his husband, and got a shrug in return "Wow, it was a long time ago since I went to kindergarten Taeminnie" he said "but yeah, I think it was fun. I met lots of people there and we also going on a field trip sometimes, it was fun"

 

Taemin's tiny pure heart swelled in excitement because kindergarten sounded fun in his parents' story. Not to mention, Jongin was going to be there with him. The four year old was more than ready for kindergarten.

 

"Taeminnie" his appa called him. Taemin tilted his head to his appa's direction, humming in response. "Try to be friends with others okay, not just Jongin. Not that I don't like you to play with him but there are going to be a lots of kids there and you might like to meet and be friends with them. Jongin would probably love to make more friends as well"

 

With that, Taemin only nodded. Although he wasn’t sure about it, he wanted to make friends but he didn’t know how. He hoped kindergarten just as fun as his parents described to him.

 

One month later
 

It is (finally) the first day of kindergarten for Taemin. To say that he is excited would be an understatement. He's been jumping all over his room since the first blink he makes on that day. Jinki; who is in charge to wake their kids up while Jonghyun settles in the kitchen, making breakfast, can only shake his head watching his youngest son. A smile tugged on the corner of his lips.

 

After persuading his youngest son to take a shower and also helping him to get into his school uniform, Jinki goes to the kitchen, Taemin follows swift, bouncing every so often. Jinki feigns cough to draw Jonghyun's attention from the breakfast he is currently making to where Jinki is, Taemin hiding behind his Daddy "drum roll please" jinki tells his oldest son, taesun complies drumming his palms on the surface of the dining table "kindergarten student, Lee Taemin!"

 

Jonghyun lowers the heat of the stove then looks at the little boy in his new school uniform. It is light green with checkered pattern on the hem of the sleeves, also the same light green pants and white shoes and white socks also the same light green hat. Jonghyun has to put both of his hands on his mouth, suppressing the squeal that might come from his throat.

 

"Appa, are you crying?" taesun teases. Taemin watches his appa bewilderedly, his lips pursue, pouting as he stretches his arms wide enough and wraps his Appa for a hug.

 

"Appa, don't cry"

 

Jonghyun holds him up "no, I don’t cry, baby. Just a little something on my eyes" his husband sniggers, taesun could only smile knowing very well that his appa hates that.

 

"Put him down, Jonghyun. He's a big boy now, remember"

 

The said man nods, settling his son on the chair beside his oldest son before pecks the mushroom haired boy on his cheeks.

 

"Aigooo, my little brother is finally a big boy now" Taesun ruffles his younger brother's hair lovingly.

 

Jinki couldn’t be grateful enough to have such a wonderful family. His loving husband, his two lovely sons. Everything is perfect for him now.

 

They have their breakfast together. After that Jonghyun would send off his husband and Taesun out of the door with Taemin on his hand, but now he would be the only one who sends his husband and sons alone.

 

At first, he wants to be there for Taemin's first day at school but his schedules don’t allow him.

 

Taesun goes to school earlier than Taemin, after sending Taesun off he turns to Taemin. Practically he showers the little boy with kisses as Taemin couldn’t stop giggling, "it tickles, appa!" he says between the gritted teeth.

 

"Taeminnie, promise me something" Jonghyun starts, he has to make this real quick as Jinki waits them in front of their door "promise me, you are going to be a good boy. You have to listen to your teacher and make friends, okay?" Jonghyun lifts his pinkie.

 

Taemin hooks his pinkie on his appa's "promise"

 

After 20 minutes of driving, Jinki pulls his car off in front of a colorful building and announcing "we're here!". Taemin watches it amusingly, mouth forms the letter 'o'

 

His dad opens the door for him and he steps out of the car. His heart is racing on his chest, both excitement and nervousness. Jinki squeezes his son's hand, "hey, calm, Taeminnie."

 

Someone is calling his daddy's name and they both turn. There is a woman; around his Daddy's age he assumes, and a boy wearing the exact same uniform in her tow. Taemin notices the other boy has large eyes and it somehow reminded Taemin of keroro the frog that he watches everyday on TV.

 

"Taeminnie, this is auntie Soojung. She's both my and appa's friend" Jinki explains his son. Soojung ruffles Taemin's hair.

 

"Hello, my name is Taemin" Taemin bows as he introduces himself. Jinki looks at his youngest son proudly.

 

Soojung squeals, telling how cute Taemin is before presenting her son in front of Jinki and Taemin. The other boy is a bit shy, because he only looks up to meet their eyes once. "Baby, introduce yourself"

 

The boy bows first and looks up to meet Jinki's eyes "Hello, my name is Minho"

 

Taemin doesn’t miss the way the other boy's smile and he is eagerly wants to know more about this boy named Minho. 

 

 

a/n : okay so first, this was supposed to be one shot only but i've been wanting to write this kind of story forever, I think why not now? second, this also was supposed to be 2min and only 2min. then jongyu was supposed to be their teachers but i came up with this idea sooooo you know. anyway, thank you for reading!