oo5

Nail Shop Paradise

"Sunbae, let's get drinks." Peniel opened the store's main door for Sohyun just as she was heading out. She looked at her co-worker confused as she had never been invited or done anything additional after work with the boys.

"Drinks? Drinks where?" The idea didn't sound all that bad. She'd been working at Paradise Nails for a whole month now and things were going decently. Albeit her relationship with the boys was stagnant, no one made the effort to progress or build on top on what little to no bond they had with Sohyun as she was a female-- their only female co-worker afterall. This would be the first time that she got to do something fun off duty, and she happened to have money from the most recent payment too.

"I was thinking of just a nearby pub down the street." Peniel stated. They stood in front of the almost empty parking lot. Minhyuk's car was still parked, Hyunsik had left moments ago. They were the only two that owned vehicles. Ilhoon had his motorcycle, Sohyun rode an actual bicycle and the rest took public transportation. "I'll pay."

"Great!" Sohyun was sold. It didn't take much to get her to go along for a few drinks. She threw her thumb up at Peniel who returned the gesture and then Sungjae's arms flew over the duo's shoulders, popping his head betwixt them.

"Where are we going?" He asked bluntly inviting himself. Peniel rolled his eyes.

"You can't even drink, you're a minor."

"Ah, it'll still be fun!" He protested taking his arm from around Peniel's shoulder seemingly getting closer to Sohyun. "Right, Noona?"

"The more the merrier!" She agreed. Peniel had no choice as the three walked together to the nearby bar. Peniel was only invested in a bottle of beer while Sohyun ordered two bottles of soju.

"Ya know," She said after her fourth shot. "I've been thinkin. Those Anti Trinity bastards really have it out for me. They don’t even try to help me when things get too hectic in the shop. What kind of teamwork is that?!”

“Anti Trinity…?” Sungjae mouthed the words he never heard and looked to Peniel for answers. The older male sighed.

“She’s talking about Eunkwang, Changsub and Hyunsik. I’ll admit, those hyungs aren’t that helpful when it comes to teamwork. At the end of the day they’re just looking out for their own skin.”

“Aren’t we all?” Sungjae interjected surprised at the opposing mindset. “They do it all. Manis, pedis, massages, eyelashes, eyebrows, they’re constantly busy. With the shop getting more popular none of us have time to even take breaks. That leaves more room for mistakes. That means more of Minhyuk’s fury.”

The three shuddered. It was true, the shop was gaining more customers daily and it was hard keeping up. Minhyuk wasn't contempt with customer satisfaction and has been considering hiring more employees. Some began worrying that they will be replaced.

Sungjae continued bitterly, “People that have guaranteed their stay are Noona and Ilhoon. Small fry like us are easily replaceable.”

“Aissh, don’t say it like that.” Sohyun snapped, completely drunk. “That punk Ilhoon…how is he even better?” The boys exchanged looks, shocked that there was a female dissatisfied with Ilhoon. “Always quiet. Doesn’t know how to hold a conversation. What? “You’ll win them with your heart”? I’m still not given the respect I deserve.”

Sohyun’s head hung loosely as she hovered over her last bottle of soju. She stopped drinking out of the shot glasses. Peniel hesitantly touched her shoulder sadly.

“Sunbae. That isn’t true.”  He then looked at Sungjae who was at loss for words. He spoke with his eyes instead, gesturing for them to leave. Peniel shook his head furiously. Sohyun needed to sober up before they could take her home. Sungjae’s eyes widened, wondering if they even knew where Sohyun lived. Peniel shook his head again. Sungjae pointed at him, and mouthed the words “house”. Peniel’s eyes furrowed and made a cross sign over his chest in disagreement. Sungjae nodded his head while Peniel continue to refuse the idea and then Sohyun snapped her bottle on the table.

“Yah, yah, yah, you two clowns are boring. Let’s go karaoke.”
“Oh.” They scrambled for their things and to pay for the drinks while Sohyun left the bar. The night out for drinks quickly turned into looking out for Sohyun’s wellbeing. They found a nearby karaoke spot where Peniel told the staff to not sell any drinks to them no matter how many times Sohyun asked for them. And it didn’t stop her from complaining after every two songs.

“What are those useless servers doing? I asked for rice wine nearly half an hours ago, eh? What kind of service is this?”

“Sunbae,” Peniel sounded sheepish as he tried to explain his lie in the middle of singing, “They can’t sell us alcohol with Sungjae present. He’s a minor.”

“What is this bull you’re spouting? You don’t think I know how a karaoke works? I’m entitled to what I pay for in this country.” She walked out as belligerent as she sounded. “I’ll be back with two bottles of soju, just you wait.”

Sungjae didn’t know if he should go after her but Peniel told him not to. “She’s going to do what she’s going to do. Rash girl.”

 

“As expected from a girl just my style.” Peniel darted his eyes at Sungjae, surprised by his sudden choice of words.

“What?” He asked, “You like Sohyun?” Sungjae casually nodded as if it was common knowledge. “What to do? I like her too…but I think I have an advantage since I’ve liked her longer than you.”

“Oh really?” Sungjae continued nonchalantly, “I’ve liked her since the first time I saw her.”

“What? The first time?” Peniel asked in shock. Even he couldn’t go up against that.

“Yeah.”

“Why?” He asked in defeat.

Sungjae suddenly smiled, remembering his first time seeing her. “I liked her hair.”

Sohyun’s voice sounded from the hallway, this time a lot louder and agitated than how she talked toward the boys. They both peeked their heads out of their room; Sohyun was at the end of the hallway rubbing her head angrily. There were a group of older looking men around her.

“I already told you I don’t want to sing with you!” She snapped. “Geez I can’t even drink in peace.”

“You can have all the drinks in our room, miss.” One of the men persisted. He grabbed her by the elbow and she failed to snatch away from him being too drunk. Without a moment’s notice Sungjae’s foot was suddenly attached to Sohyun’s assailant. Peniel followed by grabbing Sohyun’s hand as they fled the scene. The chase didn’t end as they departed the karaoke without paying the final bill. The trio ended up escaping to a subway station using the public transport as their getaway. The boys were out of breath, sweating for their lives while Sohyun who sat in between them began laughing. The males thought she had gone insane, but they found themselves laughing at the situation as well.

“Does anyone even know where this train is going?”