oo4

Nail Shop Paradise
Sohyun pulled the shop door open and to her surprise she found Changsub sitting at his station, looking as though he was practicing putting eyelashes on a mannequin head.  He didn't hear her come in. He was concentrating so hard on his work that for a moment Sohyun thought he was a decent worker. She had the same intentions to come into the shop early and prep her station. She cleared .
 
"Good morning." She announced. Changsub looked up, unmoved, and then went back to his practice. Sohyun frowned. "You could at least say it back." She quietly went over toward her station next to his. She sat in between him and Ilhoon but they never bothered speaking due to how busy they usually were during work hours.
 
"Wow, you're getting better at putting on eyelashes." She complimented. He continued to ignore her which pissed her off more but before she could yell at him more of the staff began to enter the shop. They, too, began to prep their stations and practice, showing Sohyun that this was part of the routine for everyone. Even Peniel was practicing. The only people who weren't present were Minhyuk and Ilhoon, which Sohyun could see why. Minhyuk was the owner and barely did work outside of managing unless things got too chaotic. Ilhoon, well Ilhoon was perfect at everything he did.
 
Slowly Sohyun asked, "Why...did you guys decide to get into the nail salon business?"
 
Hyunsik answered first. "It's just as you put it last night: I'm growing my fanbase." Although he said it with a smile Sohyun could feel that her words were a lot harsher than she remembered. She apologized and didn't want Hyunsik to feel targeted or that her statement was directed at him. "It's ok. I can't be mad at the truth."
 
Sohyun sheepishly nodded and asked the others. Sungjae put it simply:
 
"It's a job."
 
Changsub abruptly stood, quieting the room. Without looking at her he said, "You're not the only person who needs to make a living." He went to the back to change into his working clothes while Sohyun exchanged a confused look with everyone.
 
Eunkwang informed her that out of everyone, Changsub's ego was bruised the most from her words.
 
✮✮✮
 
At the entrance of the first customer the staff bowed in their full uniform set and warm smiles.  Later in the day, as the day was going by normally, Hyunsik was performing the usual: a dirty massage on the back of a thirsty and lonesome woman who considered herself a fan but happened to be waiting on an acrylic set.
 
"Where is he?" An upset voice sounded from the bottom floor. A woman stormed in, Peniel recognized her as a returning customer.
 
"Welcome back."
 
"I said where is he?" She shouted causing Peniel to flinch. Sohyun asked Ilhoon who the woman was looking for but Ilhoon sighed and slowly retreated to the back. Meanwhile the furious woman stormed up to the second floor and found Hyunsik in his massage room.
 
She hissed though clenched teeth, "You jerk. Is this how you treat all of your customers? Is this how you treat the ones that take care of you?" Hyunsik immediately stopped and bowed but that didn't stop the woman's purse from hitting the side of his face. "Look at me when I'm talking to you, you piece of filth. Do you not know how to use a phone after someone has bought so many things for you? Huh?"
 
"Lady, are you crazy?" The customer that had been receiving the back rub stood to her feet and wedged herself in front of Hyunsik to protect him from the woman's purse. "Yah, you can't just hit people, especially Hyunsik oppa." She pushed the woman's shoulder who scoffed and began hitting the girl with her purse too. Soon they were both rolling on the floor, tangling their bodies and their hairs while Hyunsik failed to break them apart. The whole shop could hear the commotion and worse yet, Minhyuk's booming voice as he yelled:
 
"ENOUGH!"
 
The women stopped and stood stiffly, as if Minhyuk was their boss. His eyes never left Hyunsik as he told the women to leave before the authorities would be contacted. The two males escorted them to the first floor and bowed as they departed. Customer and staff alike shared an astounded expression.
 
"I apologize for the incident just now." Minhyu announced cooly. "You were all probably afraid. To make up for the inconvenience I won't charge any customer that remains for the rest of the day. Once again, I deeply apologize." He did a 90 degree bow to the whole shop and departed to his back office. Hyunsik gulped, knowing that he would soon meet his end after work hours.
 
Sohyun's jaw was still practically unhinged. She couldn't believe what she had just witnessed moments prior. Worse yet was that Hyunsik was so shameless to put his customers in that type of situation. Albeit his disgraceful performance, Sohyun did feel bad for Hyunsik knowing Minhyuk would tear him a new one. Which he did.
 
"Do you have any idea what type of jeopardy you're putting this business in? The news that will go around town that one of our staff members messes around with the female customers and takes them for granted. It's so careless, so thoughtless- so inhumane!"
 
Hyunsik flinched at every word Minhyuk spat. His voice was loud and frightening but the look on his face, the veins popping from his neck and forehead scared Hyunsik less.
 
"I have the mind to fire you right here and now!" Minhyuk continued. The rest of the staff held their breath. They toed the line at a distance where Hyunsik could get his special judgment. Although disappointed they certainly didn't want to lose a staff member. Minhyuk let out a loud sigh and finally lowered his voice. "The loss of business today will be deducted from your pay. Everyone is dismissed." He threw his clipboard down and exited the room; not bothering to give anyone else their reviews. Everyone finally exhaled and breathed comfortably.
"I can't believe this happened." Eunkwang said in awe quietly.
 
"Actually I knew this would happen sooner or later." Sungjae said in confidence. Changsub and Eunkwang scolded him for being inconsiderate and raised their fists but Hyunsik stopped them.
 
"He's right. I'm such a womanizer that I knew it would catch up to me one day. I was just too foolish to stop myself." He had been smiling but Sohyun knew he felt awful on the inside. Sohyun watched him closely as he approached Ilhoon. "For now on I'll direct all my attention towards Ilhoonie." He went in for a hug but Ilhoon brushed him off and went to the back to change. Hyunsik scoffed and caught Sohyun staring. "You think I'm disgusting right?"
 
She shook her head. "What you did wasn't nice, but that doesn't make you a disgusting person. You consider yourself an idol in the eyes of your customers, and they consider themselves as fans. It's ok to love and be loved by them but...don't take advantage of their love."
 
Hyunsik smiled, and when he did so did his eyes, making Sohyun know for sure it was sincere. "You're right. I'll do better from now on." And he bowed to her for the first time.