o10 END Part II

Nail Shop Paradise

“If it’s alright with you, could I walk you home?” They were words that no one in the shop had ever offered, and surprisingly the suggestion came up through Ilhoon. The showcase ended on a good note, the staff catered to the rest of the customers including Sohyun’s old clients, consolidating new business. Sohyun unlocked her bike but didn’t get on. She nodded at Ilhoon’s offer, curious about the man that never speaks.

“How will you get home? Are you not bringing your bike along?”
“It’s alright. I’ll just come back for it.” Sohyun frowned, suddenly feeling like a burden and she damn sure wasn’t comfortable with that. Ilhoon suddenly chuckled. “I can read your face pretty well. It’s really ok. I have something important to say.”
“Oh.” Her dread of being a liability was replaced with the feeling of anxiety. What on Earth could he be announcing to her so importantly after work…alone? It wasn’t as though she could have changed her mind and just rode off. They treaded the sidewalk not saying anything for a while. The sun was completely gone but the day felt like forever. It had been a good day but Sohyun wanted to rest and see her family. Footsteps shuffled from behind and the two quickly looked back. There was nothing.

But in fact, there was something. Or rather, someone. Some ones. Changsub found the two, Ilhoon and Sohyun, having their conversation outside the shop. He nearly had an aneurysm when Ilhoon asked to walk Sohyun home. Nearly two when she agreed. He couldn’t get two steps in in his attempt to follow when the rest of the staff caught him.

“Why are you being sneaky?” Hyunsik asked him looking over his shoulder. The boys caught the scene that made Changsub transition to his lurk mode.

Sungjae tilted his head dumbfounded. “Are they dating? Can’t be.”

“Of course they’re not dating.” Minhyuk blurted, surprising everyone with his presence alone. “At least…I don’t think so. Aiish, it’s hard to tell. Ilhoon doesn’t really tell me everything the way he used to back then.”

“Oh? Peniel has started to follow them.” Eunkwang announced. Changsub exchanged looks with everyone and then crouched to proceed his lurk mode. The rest shrugged and began sneaking as well. With extreme stealth they followed Ilhoon and Sohyun until Peniel tripped. The boys quickly helped him to his feet and hid behind a storage pod. Ilhoon and Sohyun looked around briefly and turned their attention back to each other. They completely stopped their walk only a few minutes from the shop itself. They stood in a broad parking lot with a few storage containers like the one the boys hid behind to listen. Ilhoon spoke first.

“I like you.”

Everyone covered Changsub’s mouth to keep their post secured. Sungjae bit his fist, finding it hard to keep his composure as well. Everyone was shocked, to say the least. Even Minhyuk’s eyebrows raised.

Sohyun tucked her chin down. She avoided Ilhoon’s eye contact and instead looked down where she rolled a rock under her foot.

“The thing is,” She mumbled, then sighed, then gathered all her confidence and stopped looking down. “There’s already someone I like.”

“I know.”
“You do?”

“I noticed for a while now. But I wanted to confess my feelings because…after tonight I won’t be working at the shop anymore.”

Sohyun’s body jerked. All of her anxiety and worry were replaced with anger and shock.

“What are you saying right now, are you saying that you quit? That you’re just going to leave?”

He nodded. “Yeah.”

“Why?”

“I was always going to leave. I never planned on staying at the shop forever. Your hard work and perseverance motivated me to do something I love. I’m going to study abroad—I leave tomorrow in fact.”

Sohyun stared blankly, having a hard time coming up with words that would convince Ilhoon to stay but her mind was useless as well. “This is all so sudden.”

“I was going to leave quietly. I know it’s cowardly but I knew I wouldn’t be able to handle the reaction of the others if I told them I was leaving. “Should I leave a letter?” “Should I call them after I land?” All of these scenarios tore me up inside. But nothing tore me up more than thought of leaving you without saying goodbye.”

Sohyun’s breath became heavy, she didn’t know why she was struggling for air, but her right hand swung across Ilhoon’s face and she felt relieved.

“You cruel bastard. How could you be so selfish and so cruel?”

He spoke quietly, “The world is cruel. And I’m a selfish guy.”

Sohyun felt bad she hit him so suddenly. She drew her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest.
“Take care.”

“YAH!” It was the loudest “yah” they ever heard. It was Earth shattering, almost satanic. The two looked over their shoulders and saw a huffed up Minhyuk with staff members using their bodies as shackles around his ankles.

“Don’t kill him, boss!” Peniel pleaded but to no avail. Minhyuk slowly but surely made his way over. At the point of his approach the others barricaded themselves around Ilhoon. Changsub found his spot in front of Sohyun as usual.

“You little .” Minhyuk broke through easily and grabbed Ilhoon by his collar. “You think that little of me—of us, to runaway so easily? Is that it?”

“No.” Ilhoon avoided his gaze and that pissed Minhyuk off more. He started laughing.

“What can I do? Your plane leaves tomorrow. And we’ve already caught you like this.”

Sungjae squeezed in between the two with a daft smile. “Clubbing. Can we go clubbing?”

“And drinking.” Eunkwang added.

Hyunsik also suggested, “Don’t forget karaoke.”

“Then it’s settled.” Minhyuk announced, “Tonight we go drinking one last time with Il!” The boys hooted and yelled in the empty streets. Ilhoon was obviously not up for it, probably one of the reasons why he didn’t tell them, but he was slung over Hyunsik’s shoulder like a kitchen rag. They ran off, still yelling and Sohyun waved to Ilhoon for the last time.

 

End


 

I know the end is extremely abrupt but it's supposed to be that way. It may be a bit TOO abrupt of an ending but I wrote this last chapter, both Part 1 and Part 2 in one sitting. It's now 3AM but I told myself not to go to bed until I get this chapter done. I'm sorry if it's ty, although this is how I've always intended to end the story. You find out that Sohyun has a crush on one of the staff members but she doesn't reveal who. In a sense, the story continues, it just won't continue in writing. I could technically do more chapters but my objective was to introduce a realtionship between Sohyun and each BTOB member. Ilhoon's depature is just the end to a beginning. If there's anything you would like me to expand on just leave a comment. But anyway, I hoped you enjoyed this short story. Of course I'm going to edit when I re-read because I always have a few hiccups here and there. I'm working on a new story starring Sohyun of course so look forward to it!

tumblr_nbaq3b0y4C1qcjuzlo6_250.gif