The Past

Against The Limits

It's been exactly two weeks since they've became friends. It wasn't hard for them to get along at first, but they found it kinda strange for them to consider themselves close friends. They acted so natural around each other, joking and laughing together like everything seemed funny. Sometimes even talking sarcastically like they hated one another, teasing and insulting were what made them feel entertained about their friendship.

 

Then, there were those quiet moments, no conversation, no laughter. Only their locked eyes were screaming silent words while sinking into the hole of thoughts they both created. Every blink their eyes took wrote a new chapter for them to read, feeling drunk as they lost themselves in between the lines of the empty meaning to their addictive stare.

 

But of course, it couldn't last forever. Shion would always be the first to look away whenever she felt her pulse was slowly increasing. She tried to always avoid looking at him for too long, but her eyes felt so attracted to his ones as though they held something magnetic within them.

 

Jimin wasn't that different from her, he felt the same way. Every time they fell into each other's deep trap of wonders, he never wanted to escape. He searched for her glitters as he wandered around her jet black eyes, not bothering to look for the exit. And with that, he felt a strong light weighted pressure on his heart. So from that moment, he knew he would crave something hard sooner or later.

 
 

It was a normal Friday, the two of them were sitting in class, He was teaching her something she didn't understand about their last math lesson while she listened carefully to him. When they finally finished, they spent the next 20 minutes challenging each other in an online game in their phones. After playing a couple of times together and ended up with Shion winning the highest score, they settled their devices on the table while they massaged their hands and fingers.

 

'Hey Jimin, I've always thought about this question. It's about you'. He looked at her while he crossed his arms and leaned back on the chair. 'Oh really?! What is it?'. He acted surprised and curious even though he really was wondering about her question. 'Why did you choose to teach math? What's so special about it?. She asked.

 

'So you wanna hear my story? Okay then, I'll tell you about my past'. She rested her head on her palm as her arm was placed on the table by her elbow, getting ready to hear her teacher's history. 'Ever since I was little, I've faced so many difficulties with math. It was hard for me to get everything at once, so I barely passed every exam and test. But when I turned 15, my math teacher changed me. She tutored me whenever she had time and always encouraged me to do my best. Even though she was always feeling tired after her classes, she still gave her all in teaching me everything about math. But one day, she quit being a teacher without me knowing why, and from that day, I felt obligated to study more and help others with their math problems like you'.

 

'You decided to become a math teacher all because of her? Wow, so you really were dumb back then, and maybe still are'. She jokingly said it as she tried to about his past. 'Yeah, because people like you need my help. And besides, you actually remind me of her. The way you both always complain about being tired and how you both love to sleep on the table'. He looked somewhere else as he remembered his precious math teacher, pretending to be sad.

 

'Oh come on, that was the silliest thing you have ever said. Please Don't tell me you went on searching for her after you graduated, because that would sound like you were literally in love with her'. She said with an annoyed tone as she sat up straight to playfully hit his arm. 'Would you be jealous if I did that?'. He asked while a small smirk was forming on his lips. 'No, of course not! Even if you did it, it's all in the past'. She casually answered, leaning on the wall behind her.

 

'Okay, so what about you? What's your life story?'. He felt eager to know about her previous years, he wanted to know the story behind her cold attitude. But he somehow knew there was something that effected her which made her who she is, something that left a permanent mark on her heart. 'So it's my turn now huh? There isn't much to know about my past'. Her voice was steady, though it showed a little sadness when she looked at her hands as they toyed with the hem of her navy blue shirt.

 

'You don't have to tell me if it bothers you'. He rested his hand on her knee as he sensed her soreness from the way her fingers messed around with the fabric. She looked at his solicitous eyes, letting herself fall into the depth of his dark orbs as they shared an ambiguous stare. Once again, they lost themselves as they tried to understand what hadn't been said yet.

 

'It's okay. I'm not annoyed, just regretful'. A smile managed to reach her face as she couldn't break their eyes' meeting. 'We all regret our past and previous mistakes, even though they are the main elements of our current materials'. He smiled brightly when he felt relieved that she wasn't sad about him mentioning her past. 'So wise and .... scientific...'. They both chuckled when Shion commented on his utterance, letting the subject slide away.

 
 

'Come on, you need to leave now before it's too dark. Let me walk you to the exit'. Jimin stood up and offered her his hand with a playful smile on his face. Shion stood up and took her things then noticed his awaiting hand. 'Thank you, but I'm already on my feet'. She sarcastically said it then she saw the change in his expression as she 'kindly' rejected his hand.

 

'Who said I wanted to help you stand up? I actually wanted to hold your hand as we walk together'. He took a small step, wanting to get closer to her while he acted serious as he played with her. 'Sorry, but I don't want rumors to spread about us dating'. She tried to walk pass him but he stood right in her way, getting more into character when he saw the bit of disturbance in her eyes.

 

'But I thought you don't care about what people say about you'. Her eyes were showing him different emotions as he spoke in a low tone while looking at her with his curious eyes. She couldn't reply as his gaze slowly turned into something vague, letting her feel nervous when he started to lean little by little to her face.

 

'Why is it so easy for me to make you feel nervous? Though it's always entertaining to watch you while you try to hide it'. He literally whispered when the space between their faces got shorter, his hoarse voice was what made her step back and immediately hit the table behind her with the back of her thighs.

 

He laughed abruptly as he saw how scared she looked when she backed off, he really did mean to make her feel that way. 'You're making it seem like I almost did something wrong to you'. He ruffled her short hair while grinning widely at her, messing up her neat hair as he tried to remove that adorable expression from her face.

 

'Yeah, you would've done something if I didn't back off'. She breathed out of relief when he stepped aside for her to pass. 'Annoying monkey'. She mumbled as she walked pass him with an annoyed tone, and of course, he heard her then chuckled quietly before following her out of the classroom.

 
 

Their walk to the exit was quite silent at first, although Jimin did try to make a conversation with Shion, but he didn't know exactly what to talk about, plus she seemed distracted by her thoughts as she kept looking at the floor. He wrapped his arm around her neck and draw her near his side. She lifted her head to give him a questioning look, but he wasn't facing her, he was just smiling to himself while looking straight. 

 

'Umm... can you remove your arm from around my neck? And why are you smiling?'. She asked him with her hand on his arm, trying to pushed it off but she was too tired to do so. 'One, no, I won't remove it until we reach the exit. And two, I'm just glad I'm walking with you, so can you please put up with me a little? You know I won't see you for two days'. He looked at her with a pout on his lips, acting all cute and sad while she rolled her eyes and looked away.

 

'I'll take that as a yes'. He happily said while he tighten his grip around her neck, causing her to sigh out of annoyance. They walked a few meters more until they saw the exit. Jimin dropped his arm while he pretended to cry, Shion cringed as she watched him wipe his fake tears. 'You can be so childish sometimes, I still wonder how did you even become a teacher?'. He laughed at her comments then pinched her cheek for insulting him.

 

'So can i leave now? Or do you want something else from me?'. She asked innocently, hoping he'd say no and let her go. 'Just one thing. I want you to be careful, don't go wandering around somewhere else, I don't want you to get hurt'. His eyes explained everything, even more than his words. He sounded overprotective with that serious strong voice of his, but his look made her feel important and it allowed her heart to soften.

 

He grabbed her hand and held it tightly, not wanting to let it slide off of his grip. 'If you held my hand when I asked you to before leaving the classroom, i wouldn't be able to let you go easily'. His voice was a mixture of desperation and sincerity, and his eyes needed to say something so badly, but his heart was too confused about the hard beats it's having.

 

'But I have no right to do that'. He finally slipped her hand from his own as he realized how much time he wasted trying to say something he didn't know how to exactly pronounce it. He turned around then walked back to the classroom as he wanted to just run away from all of the confusions, he couldn't even say goodbye because it felt heavy on his tongue. She stared at his back as it slowly disappeared the farther he went on walking alone, wondering about his odd behaviour a minute ago before leaving the huge empty building.

 

-

 

 

Okay Jimin acting strange and his past wasn't really surprising...... but it will kinda be like 'Oh, so that's the case' after a couple of chapters...! :P 

I'm sad to say that I'll be taking a short break for like 3 or 4 weeks (wow, so short...) Because I'll be dealing with some school and I'm not really sure of what to do with the upcoming chapters... 

-

N.T.K ~