Act 3

Sunshine

Yeon Hee

The past few days, Chanyeol hardly paid any attention to me. He was busy fawning over Yoomi, along with the rest of the class. I was left to entertain myself during breaks between classes. The rest of the guys that I hung out with with Chanyeol had offered me a spot in one of their basketball sessions, but I was never athletic and tired out quickly, so I politely declined, instead preferring to watch at the sides or wander around the school. 

Today, I chanced upon a music room while walking aimlessly down a corridor. I heard the sweet melody of a piano playing and like a moth drawn to light, I slowly advanced towards the room. The door creaked slightly when I pushed it open to peer inside. A boy with chocolate brown hair was seated before the piano, fingers sliding effortlessly over the charcoal and ivory keys. I was completely entranced by the elegant music he was playing. My mouth shaped into a small "o" unconsciously. I stood in a daze by the door even after the beautiful piece of music ended.

"That was beautiful." I whispered. Apparently, he was able to hear me and his head whipped around to look at me.

"A-ah. I'm sorry. I didn't m-mean to intru-" I stuttered, feeling heat flood my cheeks.

"Its fine, Yeon Hee-ssi." The boy said, giving me a slight smile.

"How did you know my name?" I look at him, a little startled.

He chuckled, "I'm in your class. In a few of them anyway. I'm Yixing by the way, but everyone calls me Lay."

"I'll call you Yixing then." I said as a slight grin crept onto my face.

It has been two weeks since Yoomi came. Two weeks since I had an actual conversation with Chanyeol. Did he not care for the 8 years of our friendship? Did he not care for me? Was he blinded by Yoomi's beauty?  I still felt a bubble of jealousy grow inside me whenever I saw Chanyeol accompanying Yoomi around the school, even though could maneuver around the school fine by herself. Of course I would, it was an 8 year old crush!

So when Chanyeol asked if I had wanted to meet at the ice cream shop, I was ecstatic. On cloud nine, even. He was finally paying attention to me. I guess he realised that he had been a jerk these two weeks.

Flashback

The name Yeollie^^ flashed on my phone screen. I cleared my throat and answered the call, trying to mask the obvious excitement I had. 

"Yeon-Hee ah, do you want to meet at the regular place after school? The ice cream shop? I know that I haven't been spending much time with you these days." Chanyeol asked, his tone a little cautious.

I had desperately wanted to scream "Yes!" like a madwoman but composed myself and did not reply.

"Yeon? Are you mad at me? I promise I'll spend more time with you in the future~ Buing Buing~~" Chanyeol pouted.

"O-okay." I stuttered out.

"Great! Meet you at 3." I could almost see him grin by his cheerful tone.

I had wanted to look my best when I met him, so instead of my usual ponytail, I braided my hair into an intricate pattern, put on some lip gloss and dusted some blush onto my cheeks. 

I walked to the ice cream shop with a spring in my step. I check my watch. 2.40p.m. I smiled as I sat down on a seat outide the shop, basking in the warm sunshine. 

 

Chanyeol

I realised that I wasn't paying much attention to Yeon Hee these few days. Or was it these weeks? Although Yoomi lit up my day everytime I saw her, I missed Yeon Hee's company. Yoomi and Yeonhee were completely two different people. Yeon Hee was a tomboy while Yoomi was ladylike. Yeon Hee wouldn't bother with makeup whereas Yoomi would. Yeon Hee was loud and stood up for herself while Yoomi was fragile and quiet. I missed how we would have food wars in the cafeteria during lunch. I missed her carefree personality I missed how we would go out every Wednesday after school to the ice cream shop. So, I decided to give Yeon Hee a call to apologise and hopefully spend more time with her.

I was relieved that she agreed. However, she seemed a tad angry.

When my classes ended at 2.45p.m., I had just enough time to reach the ice cream shop. I grinned at the prospect of having a proper conversation to Yeon Hee after so long. 

However, when I was packing my bag, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see an angel looking up at me. Suddenly, all thoughts of Yeon Hee vanished from my mind. "Chanyeol-ssi, can you help me with my math? I don't get these few questions and I know that you're really good at it so-" Yoomi asked. 

"O-Of course Yoomi-ssi! Anything for you." I smiled.

While I was teaching Yoomi, I couldn't help but look at her beautiful features again and again. She was so pretty. Any guy would probably give an arm to be in my shoes.

"Oh, its 6. Its getting late Chanyeol oppa. I'll be heading home first. Thank you for all the help." Yoomi gave me a radiant smile as she got up from her seat. My jaw dropped open as I stuttered a "Goodbye Yoomi-ssi!"

I was still gaping when she left. Did she just call me oppa? I grinned like an idiot.

It wasn't until I was strolling home did I realise I had missed the meeting with Yeon Hee. I cursed at myself. She wouldn't be so stupid to wait for so long, would she? Hurriedly, I sent Yeon Hee a text.

Sorry Yeon. I was teaching Yoomi-ssi some math problems and totally forgot about our meeting. You aren't still there aren't you?

Sent 6.03p.m.

Yeon Hee

Its 3p.m. Why isn't he here yet?

Its 4p.m. He's late. Never mind, he'll come.

Its 5p.m. Did he forget completely?

Its 6 p.m. Did he stood me up? As if answering my question, my phone buzzed. 

Chanyeol:

Sorry Yeon. I was teaching Yoomi-ssi some math problems and totally forgot about our meeting. You aren't still there aren't you?

Sent 6.03p.m.

Unbelievable. So it was because of Yoomi. I was tired of Chanyeol only thinking about her. 

Stupid, you really think that I would wait for you that long? 

Sent 6.04p.m.

The moment after I sent that, I screamed. I probably looked crazy outside the shop. People stared at me weirdly, but heck it. I was so done with all of this. I was done with being jealous. 

After my scream fest, I heard the ring of the bell, signalling the exit of someone from the shop. Great. It was probably the staff wanting me to get my off their seat for being a nuisance. When I looked up, I was surprised to see Lay looking down at me with a cup in his hand. With a frilly pink apron.

I burst out laughing.

"So it indeed was you, Yeon Hee-ssi. Have a cup, my treat. You've been outside for 3 hours..." Lay offered me the cup.

I couldn't stop laughing as I accepted the cup.

"Why are you laughing, Yeon Hee-ssi?" Lay looked at me, cocking his head, giving me his signature blur look.

"Nothing. Skip the formalities Yixing! Any one who offers me icecream is automatically promoted to be my friend." I declared while digging into my ice cream. 

"So, we meet again. I didn't know you worked here." I grinned while looking at his apron. 

And as we talked, I felt a familiar warmth spread throughout me again. Maybe it was because of the ice cream that made me happy. 

Or maybe, it was Yixing.

1.3k phew! Please comment and subscribe! ^^ Thanks to Lildevilxoxo for being my first subbie :D