Act 1

Sunshine

Yeon Hee

 

A tomboy. That's what everyone called me. I wasn't bothered by it. In fact, I actually liked it. I'd rather be a tomboy than be a damsel in distress. I was outgoing and borderline noisy, though never a troublemaker. I preferred comfortable, baggy clothing over those tight and skimpy dresses. I didn't put on makeup often, what was the use of putting it on when it was going to come off within a day? You would expect a teenage girl like me to pore over fashion magazines and keep up with the latest fashion trends, but boy you are mistaken.

My parents wanted me to grow up to be as pretty as a flower, just as the "Yeon" in my name suggests. But alas, I turned out to be a girl with average looks and a little higher than average intellect. Heck, even my s are average sized.

I don't think that I am ugly, but I'm definitely not pretty either. I don't have milky white and smooth skin. I don't have big, doe eyes. I don't have a sharp nose nor high cheekbones. I hovered between the acceptable and the ideal weight range and had on abit of fat that some girls would immediately want to lose. While girls started wearing contact lenses, I stuck to my trusty pair of glasses. I had medium length, jet black hair that I always kept up in a high ponytail or a messy bun. I was satisfied with my image.

None of these changed even when I realised that I had a small crush on my childhood friend, Chanyeol. We've been friends for nearly 8 years and we were inseparable. I was so close and comfortable around him that I could even let loose my unlady like gestures and language around him freely without feeling self-conscious. I guess I liked him because I could really be myself around him. 

He is my sunshine. He infects people with his happy virus everywhere he goes. He knows me better than I know myself. He knows that I like sleeping with my windows open. He knows that I like tea over coffee. He knows that I love performing. He knows that I hate exercising. He knows when I had a bad day and was always there for me during my ups and downs. You might have the impression that he is a creep at first due to his lame jokes and insane laughter, but that's what made Chanyeol Chanyeol. 

I could deny it all I want, but I was attracted to him partly because of his looks. His hair so soft that I want to run my fingers throught them (too bad he's too tall). His eyelashes so long it would make any girl jealous. His dazzling smile that could sweep anyone off their feet. His deep, husky voice that makes girls swoon. He is more than good-looking. And his charming personality made him even more popular in school. He has a flock of fangirls waiting for him by the locker everyday, hoping to pass gifts or have a glance of his handsome face.

However, he completely changes around his friends and me. He would reveal his playful demeanour, playing pranks on his friends and cackling crazily afterwards. He would become as childish as a 7 year old, often using aegyo to get what he wants from his hyungs and noonas.

Sometimes I wonder if I should act more like a girl around him. Maybe put on some light makeup? Would he even notice the difference? Ha, fat chance Yeonhee. He's probably too busy devising a prank to be bothered. And it didn't matter, did it? We clicked from young because of our similar personalities, not because of our looks or popularity. We stood by and supported each other. We were real friends.

Did I mention that he is also multi-talented? He can rap, beatbox, dance and play the drums. He can also play the guitar. I always play a scenario through my head countless of times, where he would play the guitar only for me while I would quietly listen, though melting inside. The thought always makes my heart pound furiously.

Too bad it will never come true.