Five

Straight As and Cigarettes

"Woah, this is where you live?" Jongdae exclaims as he cranes his neck upwards in order to take in the sight before him. It turns out that Joonmyun's family lives in one of the many (extremely expensive) traditional houses in Seoul.  Jongdae couldn't see much of the actual house because of a worn white wall that separates the house from the street, but from what he could see, the house was huge. Peeking out over the wall was the roof of the house, the wooden beams smooth and gleaming with a fairly recent layer of polish.

"Nice crib, cupcake."

"Yeah, uh, thanks." Joonmyun responds awkwardly.

"Joonmyun Oppa, your house is so big! Oppa," MinDae turns to address Jongdae now, "I told you he was a princess! See, he even has a castle! Joonmyun Oppa, do you have a dragon?"

"Uh, no. I have a dog though?"

MinDae squeals delightedly. "Can I see him, can I see him!?"

"No Puddin' Pop, we gotta go home. And I've told you before that it's rude to invite yourself into other people's homes," Jongdae admonishes.

"Sorry Joonmyun Oppa," MinDae apologizes, chagrined by her public chastisement.

"It's okay. You can come meet my dog. Her name is Barbara."

"What a silly name," MinDae giggles excitedly, rushing ahead to grab Joonmyun's hand again.

"Are you sure? We don't want to be a hindrance." Jongdae is uncomfortable by Joonmyun being nice, even if it is only to his sister.

"Whatever, it's a dog. It doesn't matter." Joonmyun leads MinDae through the gate and into the house.  Jongdae makes as if to follow them, but upon further reflection, decides against it.

Figuring no harm will come to MinDae, Jongdae instead takes a seat on the ground and leans his back against the wall.

He's confused by Joonmyun's sudden change in behavior, that's for sure. He's never been nice to him, and even after Jongdae had rescued him from Xiumin, Joonmyun had done nothing but treat him harshly.

After a few more minutes of quiet contemplation, Jongdae decided that he'll never know what anybody, but especially Joonmyun, is thinking. Sighing, Jongdae reaches into his pocket and pulls out a pack of slender cigarettes, along with a sleek silver lighter.

Lighting up, Jongdae manages to take a few puffs and relax just a fraction before his reverie is interrupted by a shrill shrieking sound.

"DELINQUENT! HOW DARE YOU LOITER IN FRONT OF MY HOME AND INVADE IT WITH YOUR NOXIOUS FUMES!"

"Hey lady, I'm sorry. Relax, okay? There's no need to get worked up." Jongdae puts on his most disarming smile as he drops his cigarette to the ground and crushes it with the toe of his shoe. "I'm just out here waiting for my sister."

"The likes of you do not belong in this neighborhood," she continues to lecture, completely unaffected by his charm which throws him for a loop.

"I do not pay as much as I do so that street rats like you can disturb the peace."

"Honestly lady, your shrieking is destroying the peace more than me sitting here smoking."

"I will not accept such a tone from you! Get out of here before I call the police."

"Alright ma'am, relax. Let me just go grab my sister and I'll be out of your hair." Jongdae tries to placate the clearly disgruntled woman. He makes his way to the gate that Joonmyun and MinDae had gone through earlier, but as soon as he tries to step inside he is met once again by a piercing cry.

"What do you think you are doing, boy!? Get away from my home!"

Jongdae makes the connection then.

"Ommani! Why are you yelling so much!?" Joonmyun questions in an irritated manner as he steps through the gate with MinDae's hand still enclosed in his.

"Get back inside, Joonmyun, I'm dealing with the garbage."

"Ouch," Jongdae mutters as he picks MinDae up once again and cradles her possessively to his chest.

"You can unbunch your now ma'am, I'm leaving."

"Yah, Jongdae! You for-"

"Kim Joonmyun! Don't you dare tell me you're friends with that boy?"

"He's not my friend..." are the last words of the argument that Jongdae hears as he turns the corner out of earshot.

"Don't cry, Oppa." MinDae snuggles closer into Jongdae.

"Don't worry, Minnie Me, I'm not. That nasty woman doesn't deserve the satisfaction of my tears." Jongdae clutches her even tighter to his chest. "So how was Barbara?"

"She was so cute!"

Jongdae smiles, cheered up once more by MinDae's bright chatter.

 

A/N:

Short again, but at least it's something.