Forward

Straight As and Cigarettes

Joonmyun finishes up tightening the laces on his sneakers before sitting up straight at his desk, making sure his pencil is parallel to the notebook on top of his desk, its pages open to a blank surface, ready to be filled with notes.

Satisfied with his precision, Joonmyun looks around the room and eyes his fellow classmates.  It's the first period of the day, and the teacher has not yet arrived so the room is in varying states of disorder.  Some students are sleeping peacefully at their desks, drool leaking out of the corners of their mouths to pool disgustingly on whatever they are using as pillows, be it arms or notebooks.  Some students are chit-chatting with their neighbors, asking about each other's weekends or frantically copying homework assignments.  Still others are wreaking as much havoc as they possibly can, throwing little balled up bits of paper at each other, or tying together the laces of unsuspecting, sleeping students.  But whatever they are all doing, Joonmyun finds he doesn't particularly care and turns back to his own desk, settling for reading a little bit of his book before school officially begins for the day.

That was probably a bad decision, Joonmyun thinks as the teacher enters the classroom right as he is getting to the of the story. Sighing, Joonmyun finishes up the paragraph he is on before delicately placing a bookmark between the pages and returning the novel to his backpack, where it will likely reside until he gets to read it again at lunch.

The teacher clears his throat to begin the lesson, and Joonmyun takes that as his cue to focus in on the front of the classroom and begin dilligently taking notes.

About twenty minutes into the lesson, the door opens and in breezes the notorious trouble-maker of the school.

"Kim Jongdae, so nice of you to join us," the teacher intones, not even bothering to look away from the notes he is writing on the board.

Jongdae dutifully ignores him, instead taking his assigned seat next to Joonmyun who looks at him disdainfully and wrinkles his nose at the scent of cigarettes.

"Oh pull the stick out of your ," Jongdae snipes at him before resting his head over his crossed arms on the desk, pulling his hood over his hair, and promptly falling asleep.

Joonmyun rolls his eyes at the predictable behavior before once again returning his eyes to the front of the room.