NORTH [Straight Encounter]

Once in a Lifetime

 

The sun shines through the glass of every high buildings in the city. When other people saw many glass buildings, they usually awed the exterior. But to a certain someone, every surrounding felt like a challenge.

"Good morning, Mr. Kim. The file is ready."

"Thank you, Sulli. I will be right there."

"Mr. Kim! How about the evening meeting?"

"Tell them I can go to their meeting. The time is enough!"

"Ok, Mr. Kim, reported right away!"

Kim Joonmyeon was a co-director of a company under Wu's. For every businessman in the world, Wu corporation was the biggest so they dreamed for working in here including Joonmyeon. With hard work, he climbed to the top and could work with Mr. Wu directly. In fact, they became best friend and often got along together.

"So how's the deal?" Yifan entered the room as Joonmyeon stopped staring at the papers.

"Such a nice way to greet a person," Joonmyeon sighed as Yifan chuckled.

"Then I'll give you something special," Yifan gave an envelope to Joonmyeon who stared curiously at it.

"What is this? Don't say that you fell for me already," Joonmyeon chuckled as Yifan laughed.

"I only love someone else okay and you know who that is. You should find someone too," Yifan suggested.

"No time for that," Joonmyeon opened the envelope, an invitation word greeted as he scanned the letter.

"Heck! To London? Two weeks? Are you insane?! I can't leave my cousin alone!" Joonmyeon hollered as Yifan calmed him down by pushing him to sit again.

"Yaaah, that is the way to the gold deal! You know how big Lee corporation is and we can work together with them!" Yifan argued back.

"Fine I'll go. But please let me have time with my cousin first," Joonmyeon said as Yifan nodded.

***

"London? Two weeks? Wow that's long," Kyung Soo said as they had dinner together two days before Joonmyeon departed to London.

"I'm sorry to leave you alone here. This is such a big deal and I can't get away from it," Joonmyeon said sadly.

"It's okay hyung. I can take care of myself, really."

"But please be safe. I know you are busy too. Don't let people get you down, okay?"

"I will hyung," Kyung Soo smiled as Joonmyeon hugged him tight.

***

Joonmyeon dragged his luggage to the departure gate. Kyung Soo hugged his cousin again before they separated. Yifan showed up and also gave Joonmyeon some short advises on how to deal with Lee Corporation's representator. Soon, Joonmyeon waved goodbye to Yifan who decided to accompany Kyung Soo home.

Joonmyeon didn't know who was the representator that they needed to meet in London. He practiced his English often by reading a novel. Sometimes he would talk with Yifan or Kyung Soo in English. Glad that they supported him well.

The stewardess began to spread around the area while offering the beverages. He choose to drink a warm cup of tea.

"Do you have peppermint tea?" A person behind him asked as the stewardess sadly shook her head and politely said that there was no peppermint tea.

"Okay, warm tea will be okay," The man said again as Joonmyeon somehow attracted to his voice but didn't dare to look back.

Hours in plane made Joonmyeon's feet went numb. He stood a bit to let the blood rushed to his feet. Stumbling, he lend on every chair and walked to the back of the plane.

"Oops," A voice heard as he bumped into someone because he was so drown in moving on his feet.

"Sorry," Joonmyeon looked up and met with two dazzling chocolate orbs, staring at him intensely.

"Not a problem. My feet are somehow numb too so I stand up," The man replied while grinning sheepishly as Joonmyeon startled to see his overloaded charm.

"Oh okay. Need to go first," Joonmyeon walked passed the man and headed to the toilet as fast as he could.

"No time for that kind of thing. No time," He reminded himself.

Joonmyeon sprinted to his seat and spent the day with sleeping. He needed that because of every day routine with work.

"Attention to all the passengers. We arrived at London...."

The man opened his eyes and strolled down from the plane along with every passengers. Joonmyeon waited for the last because he didn't want to get squished by everyone. When he stood up to leave the plane, someone bumped him from behind.

"Sorry again," The same man spoke as Joonmyeon nodded and walked first wth the man behind him.

They went to the luggage rail side by side between the crowd and waited patiently for their own. Joonmyeon got his luggage and with a slight nod, he said goodbye to the man as he went away first.

"Joonmyeon!" A call heard at the arrival gate.

"Siwon hyung!" a dazzling man called as he waved his hand.

"Nice to see you here!" Joonmyeon spoke in English as Siwon laughed.

"Good try, young man. Let's go to the hotel. Tomorrow night will be our best day," Siwon said as he helped Joonmyeon with his belongings.

Siwon was Yifan's right hand in several cases, especially the international one because of his fluency in English and Mandarin. Yifan choose him to help Joonmyeon in London. Besides, Siwon just finished another deal in that city so what's the loss of helping Joonmyeon too.

"I don't know how to speak well," Joonmyeon admitted.

"You can learn how to and I'll help," Siwon pointed at the hotel as Joonmyeon gasped because it looked so fancy.

They arrived at the lobby as another taxi stopped in front of them. Siwon happened to went out first and Joonmyeon followed after that. The passenger ahead also opened the door and headed back to take his luggage. Joonmyeon gasped to see the same man he bumped to in the plane. The man didn't see him and continued to chat with the driver.

"What are you staring at?" Siwon realized Joonmyeon's attitude and followed his gaze.

"Oh he's here too," He continued as Joonmyeon turned to his hyung.

"Who is he?" Joonmyeon innocently asked.

"He's the representator from Lee Corporation. The best in negotiation, Kim Jongdae," Siwon explained shortly as Joonmyeon's jaw hung open right away.

"Fine then," He sighed and continued to walk inside the hotel with Siwon.

***

Siwon asked Joonmyeon to go have dinner with him in downstairs. Joonmyeon actually didn't used to cold weather like this so he kept his scarf lingering on his neck neatly. He sighed in relief to see an empty table near the heater. But then frowned when someone stormed to get it too.

"Oh there he is," Siwon referred to Jongdae who successfully sat near the heater.

"I can't stand the cold," Joonmyeon sighed as Siwon laughed.

"Then let's sit beside him. You can know each other well before the formal meeting," Siwon walked to the table with Joonmyeon trailing behind him.

"Are these seats empty? My friend can't stand the cold," Siwon's greeting made Jongdae turned to see those two.

"Oh. Yeah it's empty. You two can sit here," Jongdae gladly let them sit as he recognized someone.

"You again. We met at the plane remember?" The cat-smiled man greeted Joonmyeon as the latter nodded.

"So you know each other?" Siwon interfered.

"Not by name, I guess. Well let's formally introduce ourselves. I'm Kim Jongdae and who are you?" Jongdae cheerfully shook hands with Siwon and Joonmyeon.

"My name is Choi Siwon and this is Kim Joonmyeon," Siwon answered.

"Oh! You are the Wu Corporation's representator! I heard about Mr. Choi in several negotiations and you are good. I know also about you, Mr. Kim. Mr. Lee, my boss said that I will meet you in the formal meeting tomorrow morning," Jongdae replied as Joonmyeon somehow didn't know how to breath because of Jongdae's positive radiance.

"Yeah hope we can talk well," Joonmyeon pushed his tongue to form several words.

"I hope too. Nice to meet you guys here. We are not in formal situation so please don't talk about work," Jongdae sipped his coffee after that as Siwon agreed.

"So how about London?" Siwon asked Jongdae.

"Cold! But London is beautiful. How long have you stay here, Siwon-ssi?" Jongdae asked.

"Until today, a week. My gorgeous boss wants me to go here for several meetings. I guess it's great to spend some time here," He replied and said his order to the waiter.

"How about you, Joonmyeon-ssi?" Jongdae asked Joonmyeon who wanted to drink his macchiato.

Joonmyeon suddenly sneezed out loud that everyone in the restaurant glanced at their table. Jongdae chuckled a bit and took his handkerchief. He extended his hand to give it to Joonmyeon who stared at it dumbfoundedly. Siwon tried not to laugh and tugged Joonmyeon's feet with his.

"Thank-Thank you," Joonmyeon took it while blushing like crazy.

Their ordered food came and they ate in comfortable silence that night. Joonmyeon couldn't help but shuttered with his spoon and fork. He couldn't do things normally, thanks to Jongdae and his charms.

"So, I guess the dinner ends here," Jongdae finished eating.

"That fast?" Siwon asked as he turned to see Joonmyeon's expression.

"I guess, see you guys tomorrow?" Jongdae stood up after shaking hands with those two and went away.

"You like him, don't you?" Siwon quickly integorated Joonmyeon who blushed instantly.

"Stop interogating me or I will bring out your cards," Joonmyeon threatened as Siwon chuckled.

"Hey, we're official already," He referred to Cho Kyuhyun, first right hand in accountant departure in Wu corporation.

"For real?! When?!"

"Several days ago. Through phone calls. But it was fine."

"I will ask yours and his details for real after this deal," Joonmyeon smiled and punched Siwon's shoulder in amusement.

***

The cold breeze greeted Joonmyeon as he woke up and quickly pulled the blanket closer to him, longing for the warmness of sun. A sound of opened door heard as he saw Siwon walked out from the closet with his full formal wear.

"Where are you going?" Joonmyeon murmured as he drowned himself onto the pillow again.

"The meeting is in 2 hours from now. Get ready!" Siwon reminded as Joonmyeon's eyes shot open and he stormed to the bathroom.

It took 15 minutes for Joonmyeon as Siwon shocked to see his dongsaeng got ready that fast. Joonmyeon just shrugged after Siwon argumentated about the preparing time. They quickly entered the elevator to go to a meeting room prepared by both company.

Joonmyeon almost bumped to Siwon because when he opened the door, Jongdae sat calmly in the meeting room. There were four people including Jongdae inside. Siwon swayed away to the empty seat and signalled Joonmyeon to follow him. The man almost groaned because Siwon pointed a space between him and Jongdae. At last he sighed while deciding to sit.

"Good morning," Jongdae greeted casually.

"Morning Jongdae-ssi," Siwon nudged on Joonmyeon's feet to reply too.

"Morning too," Joonmyeon lowered his voice and heard Jongdae's chuckles.

"Are you still sleepy? You are cute like that," Jongdae said as Joonmyeon flushed red and Siwon almost choked on the coffee provided there.

"Are we complete now?" A man asked as everyone looked at each other. "Let me see, representator from Wu corporation?"

Siwon and Joonmyeon lifted up their hands automatically.

"From Lee corporation?" Jongdae lifted up his hands along with two other people.

"Let's begin the discussion for the deal then," The man spoke as everyone began to let out their papers and laptops.

***

Joonmyeon slumped himself onto the bed after those crazy meetings. Siwon quickly took a warm bath and it shocked Joonmyeon.

"Why you get ready again?" Joonmyeon asked in confusion.

"I need to go back to Seoul!" Siwon chirped happily.

"What?! What about me?!" Joonmyeon jumped from the bed.

"Since the important meeting was done. You have a full two weeks from now to discuss the papers with the beloved Jongdae!" Siwon beamed and Joonmyeon's jaw hung open.

"Heck! I better go home! Why don't we discuss it in Seoul?" Joonmyeon frowned and drowned his face onto the pillow.

"Courtesy to Wu Yi Fan. I think he wants to set you up with that Jongdae," Siwon stared at his phone and Joonmyeon quickly grabbed his phone to call his boss.

"Hell!" Joonmyeon groaned in despair as a faint knocks heard outside.

"Don't open that!" Joonmyeon panicked because he was still in his stripped pyjamas but too late, Siwon already pulled the door.

"Excuse me. I need to see Joon...," Jongdae stopped upon seeing a little built-man, laying on the bed with a set of stripped pyjamas.

Jongdae's laugh erupted right away as Joonmyeon ran to the bathroom. Siwon laughed as well but he let Jongdae to go inside.

"He is sure a cute man," Jongdae's eyes sparkled in happiness.

"Yes he is cute. But I need to go now. Gonna catch up with flight schedule," Siwon moved to the bathroom door. "I'll go first!!"

"Yaaah! Be careful!" Joonmyeon didn't want Siwon to go and sobbed silently.

"Jongdae is outside!" Siwon finally said before he went away as Joonmyeon groaned.

This was gonna be a loong day.

***

It turned to be Jongdae who asked Joonmyeon for coming with him to a tourist side.

"I always want to see this legendary clock!" Joonmyeon beamed as they stared at the mighty Big Ben.

"Should we take a picture together?" Jongdae went away and asked someone in English to take their pictures.

"For real?!" Joonmyeon shocked when Jongdae pulled him and posed to the camera.

Joonmyeon flushed red because Jongdae held his hand tightly in the photo. Somehow Jongdae managed to say thank you and showed the photo to Joonmyeon. The cat eyed smile attracted much that Joonmyeon didn't even blink upon the photo.

"Are you okay? Your face is red," Jongdae put his palm on Joonmyeon's forehead, slightly checking on the temperature.

Joonmyeon shocked to see the close-up version of Jongdae. This man was surely charming with his sharp jawlines. His slim body fitted well with his quick and sharp movements.

"Should we go to a museum?" Jongdae lifted the pamflet as Joonmyeon got his conciousness again.

"Yeah we can," He said, fully clueless about the topic.

"Then we can take another knowledge! Shall we go?" Jongdae extended his hand as Joonmyeon stared at it dumbfoundedly.

"Uh? What happen with your hand?" Joonmyeon asked in confusion but then almost gasped in shock when Jongdae wrapped his hand to Joonmyeon's.

"Don't get lost," Jongdae beamed as they walked hand in hand to the next destination.

***

Jongdae walked happily while humming to his room after he accompanied Joonmyeon to the another's room. He couldn't be more happy to make Joonmyeon smiled or laughed along the sightseeing. His phone rang right after he closed the hotel room door.

"How was it?" A familiar voice heard over the phone as Jongdae laughed.

"As you said before. He is cute as heaven," He answered while putting his coat onto the hanger.

"Uh that's cheesy. But still, do the proper work because we're partners now," Yifan replied.

"Of course Mr. Wu. I and my Joonmyeon won't let you down."

"Wait, you are official already?"

"Not yet," Jongdae's lips curled up to a cat-like smile.

From the first time Jongdae saw the paled skin man in the plane, he fell right away to his charm. The innocence of Joonmyeon left him off guard until he called Yifan to confirm the exact description that Yifan told earlier.

Jongdae wasn't that silent. He was a cheerful bubbly person who could make friends with many people. Due to his outgoing persona, he easily suppressed his nervousness and went with the flow including on how to talk to this Joonmyeon guy.

But he was happy now because Joonmyeon didn't slap his hand away and they let go of each other before Joonmyeon closed his hotel room door. He never felt a real love until he found Joonmyeon and his silly antics from pyjamas to his childish side when they went sightseeing. But due to their short encounter, he kept thinking of Joonmyeon would accept his confession or not.

"What should I do?" Jongdae asked confusely to himself.

He went to take a bath and the shower after undressing. The sprinkles of water made him realized that he should let everything went with the flow and maybe he could start the first flow.

"Huh? Go back to Seoul?" Joonmyeon asked after he opened the door, revealing Jongdae with his suitcases.

"You said before that you wanted to finish the papers in Seoul?" Jongdae replied.

"Okay! I'll pack first! I hope you don't mind to wait for several minutes! But wait! How about the ticket?" Joonmyeon stopped in his track to the room.

"Already booked!" Jongdae beamed as Joonmyeon smiled and quickly packed all his belongings.

"Thank you so much!" Joonmyeon said as they took the cab to the airport.

"Don't mind it," Jongdae replied and the silence engulfed them again.

"Uh? How about a visit to my apartment? I can cook you dinner or maybe we can go to a restaurant? I want to pay you back," Joonmyeon said as Jongdae almost choked in disbelief.

"For real?" Jongdae's blush made Joonmyeon found any other weaknesses in this man.

"Yeah. I can call my cousin right after we land."

"Then what will you say to your cousin about me?" Jongdae began to sip his coffee again.

"I will say that my boyfriend wants to come over," With that words from Joonmyeon's lips, Jongdae blurted out all the coffee and choked in shock.

"Are you okay?" Joonmyeon quickly gave his mineral water to Jongdae who flushed red.

"Is that true? That you will say that?" Jongdae's eyes widened because he was lost at words and didn't think that Joonmyeon would be this fast about relationship.

"Yeah, I like you and I'm happy to say it. I'm being nervous as hell before but I will work on it now," Joonmyeon found a positive radiance from Jongdae's sudden smile.

"Fine then," Jongdae swifted a bit and kissed Suho's lips for seconds as the latter stunned.

"Do you want to be my boyfriend, Kim Joonmyeon?" Jongdae surely asked.

"Of course, young man," Joonmyeon smiled as he intertwined their hands.

The plane landed in the noon as he called his cousin right away.

"Hyung? You are back?!" a surprised tone heard after Joonmyeon greeted him.

"What's wrong? Where are you anyway?" Joonmyeon curiously asked because Kyung Soo didn't really go outside that often.

"I-I'm in my... my boyfriend's place!" Joonmyeon shocked by the answer and Jongdae's curiosity peaked up too.

"OMG you had a boyfriend and you don't tell me anything?! Okay ask him to have dinner with us! I want to see him right away!" Joonmyeon insisted.

"What?! Ask him to have dinner with us?!"

"Yes and go back to our place okay," Joonmyeon said as Kyung Soo promised and they ended the call.

"Wow, a breaking news," Jongdae commented as he put their suitcases in the baggage of the cab.

"Definitely, hope his boyfriend will be good," Joonmyeon said.

"Oh wait, I forget to tell you."

"What, Jongdae?"

"I even live in the same apartment but 10 floors away from you," Jongdae said as Joonmyeon's jaw hung open.

"How can you?!"

"Ask that Yifan guy. He recommended me to move there," Jongdae replied as Joonmyeon noted that he needed to skin Yifan alive someday.

"Okay fine, let's go back home," Joonmyeon beamed as the cab began to departure.

"Don't get angry to Yifan. I was the one who asked for it," Jongdae quickly said as Joonmyeon turned to him, wide eyes.

"So you stalked me that far?" He asked in fear as Jongdae laughed out loud.