Being me

Abandoned Disgrace

“I’m so sorry, Mia.” The elderly said as she put the last baggage into the car boot. Mia gave her a half smile, signing her that she was fine. “It’s okay, grandma.” She replied.

It is the day. She thought in her mind. Mia had never feel this miserable, moving school is hard, especially for an Asian girl like her. She sighed deeply as she walked into the house to pick the last item she was going to bring. Her violin. Her only helping hand, might seem funny to you because it isn’t even a human but it is the truth. She sighed again for the umpteenth today and took the fiddle along with her.

“I’m done, Margaret.” She shouted from the door, standing with her small, slightly ripped violin case in her hand. Mia’s family was never wealthy to fulfil all of her fairy tale wishes. Well, family seems a little bit exaggerated, maybe it is just her grandparents that she lived with for the past 15 years.

“Chop! Chop! I don’t want to get caught in the heavy traffic.” Margaret shouted, signalling her to get into the car. Mia knew that Margaret was never a kind adopted mother from the first time she laid her eyes on her. She walked towards her grandparents, she knew they had never want to let her go. Mia didn’t blame her grandparents for not being wealthy, it is fate. She can’t do anything with fate.  It is god’s work and she knew god did it because it is the best for her.

“I’m going to miss you, darling.” Her grandmother stated, her hand caressing the soft skin of Mia’s face. Mia smiled sincerely before replying, “Grandma, it’s not like we’re not going to see each other again, I promise to always pay you a visit.” The elderly held out her pinky finger and Mia chuckled softly, holding back the tears that had been glistening in her eyes. “Pinky promise?” She asked. The moment when their fingers linked, tears by tears trickled down Mia’s pink cheeks. She was going to miss her so much.

“Hello! This is not a drama. Get in, already.” Her irritating voice interrupted. Margaret glared in irritation as she pressed the car honk repeatedly. Mia couldn’t even process the fact that she is moving in with her, the thought of it is enough to drive her insane. She averted her gaze towards her beloved grandfather, the one that taught her fishing, taking her to the playground, the one that accepted her for who she is. Her heart pained to leave the both of them. “Guess it is farewell for now Grandpa, Grandma. Take care.” Mia said as she gave the elders the last pecks on the cheeks before sprinting to the car. She knew that visiting is impossible yet she promised to visit them. It isn’t far to go to New Jersey from New York but as if her wicked ‘adopted’ mother would let her go.

She looked out the window, everything that she can see is sky high buildings and cars. Bringing the modernity to the world doesn’t seem like a problem, isn’t it? Yet she feels differently about it. bobbed up and down as she swallowed her saliva and shook her head slightly. Attempting to get rid of the feelings.

“Margaret?” She softly asked. “What type of school will I be attending?” Margaret frowned with a judging look on her face. “What do you mean with ‘what type of school you’ll be attending’?” Mia lowered her head in embarrassment, she really cares about what type of school she’ll be attending. She had experienced bullying, it was horrible, trust me, once in a lifetime experience wass enough to leave a huge scar in her heart. Margaret shook her head with a frown on her face, “You’ll be attending the same school as my daughter.” She declared. Mia gave her a small nod before resting her head on the window and continued to look out the window.

                “Mia! We’re here.” Margaret shouted. Mia’s eyes fluttered open, allowing her to process what was happening. She leaned forward to get a good look at the house. It was big, maybe it’s better to call it a mansion. Mia opened the car door, looking at the mansion again before taking out her baggage from the car boot. “Mommy! Ginger broke my doll!” A little girl with dirty blonde hair exclaimed and ran towards Margaret. “Don’t be such a cry baby, Clove.” A girl, or more precisely, Ginger rolled her eyes while twirling a strand of hair with her fingers. “Ginger, how many times do I need to tell you about teasing your sister.” Ginger ignored the woman’s advice, her gaze attached to the iPhone screen. “OMG! Sehun is throwing a pool party?!” She squealed all of a sudden, making Mia flinch in surprise.

Mia felt somewhat pitiful for her, ‘adopted sister’. Being exposed to the party world at such young age. “Margaret, is this our new beautiful adopted daughter, Mia?” Mia turned her head around to see the owner of the voice upon hearing her name and ‘beautiful’ in the same sentence. “Oh, honey.” Margaret exclaimed. Mia knew he’s her adopted father upon hearing the endearment from Margaret. “Good afternoon, Mr. Hollister.” She bowed. The older man smiled fatherly before patting her shoulder. “You can call me dad now.” Said Mr. Hollister. She smiled, knowing that she has someone that appreciates her presence in the family.  Ginger shot her a piercing gaze with her icy blue eyes and averted her gaze back to the iPhone screen. “Dad, I’m going to Sehun’s place tonight, tell Mable to prepare my bubble bath and…..” she paused for a second, “Can I have your credit card? I’m taking our new sister shopping so we could buy matching Versace dress.” She pranced to me and slung an arm over my shoulder friendlily. “Wow Ginger, that’s a new side of you.” Mr Hollister winked at her, handing her the white credit card making Ginger smirk playfully. “Thanks daddy, love ya.” She giggled as she dragged me towards the Pro White Bentley. “Ginger, take your sister to the party too!” Mr Hollister shouted. Hell no.