Chapter 9

Is it killing you, like it's killing me?

As soon as he sees the landmark he’s very familiar with, he knows he’s finally getting closer to their office. 

A part of him is relieved that he can finally sit & rest his legs very soon, but a part of him wants to keep walking & explore the other places in the city. 

He feels a bit depressed knowing that he lives & drives around this city every day yet it’s his first time actually seeing these things & seeing different faces. As if he's just been freed from a prison & is seeing the world for the first time.

As much as he would like to stay in the cold outdoors, he walks ahead.

 

✺ ✺ ✺

 

After weeks of thoroughly thinking, making sure what he’s about to do was going to be the right decision, Kris has finally decided.

 

He called Tao for the first time in a long time & planned to arrange a meeting together & to his surprise, Tao said he was not busy. Though he knew that that day was different— more like, special— he couldn’t recall what made it different from any other days.

 

After waiting for half an hour outside a coffee shop, sporadically & nervously sipping his coffee as if death was about to come any time soon, Tao, who was struggling to carry a big white box, finally arrived. Before he could even say a word, Tao came to a halt & started panting as though he had just ran 5 laps in a row.

“A-Are you okay?” Kris asked with an unsure tone. In Tao’s eyes, though it was never obvious, Kris had always been a caring person— before & after they started dating. It would’ve been weird that he wasn’t helping Tao even though it was clear to him that he was tired & struggling, if only Tao had noticed. He was too busy catching his breath.

 

“Happy 11 years of friendship to us & happy... happy birthday to you, BenBen!” he leaned closer to give the birthday boy a peck on the lips which surprised Kris. Although he didn’t know why he was surprised— the fact that he forgot his own birthday, or the kiss Tao had given him that seemed almost foreign.

 

“T-Thanks..” He said, not knowing what to do.

“Why are you acting weird? Here, eat the cake I bought you, you’re probably just hungry.” Tao handed Kris the big white box which he took from his hands hesitantly. Not like he had any other choice anyway.

 

“Is it good? It’s your favorite flavor but I bought it from a different cake shop this time.”

“It’s good” He lied. The taste was not the taste he was expecting, or wanting. It was stale. Just like his feelings for his ‘boyfriend’.

“You’re not talking much. It’s weird. Is there something wrong, BenBen?” he inquired, hoping he would get an honest answer, but he didn’t

“I’m fine. It’s just that, I’ve been stressed lately because of work.”

“Speaking of work,” he suddenly reached for his bag “Here” & handed Kris a small box

“What’s this?”

“Open it” he told him with a wide grim “Do you like it? I know it’s really simple but it has quite a lot of meaning to it.”

“It’s nice. I’m guessing the number 6 represents my birthday?” he tried to snicker while holding up the pin.

“Not just your birthday. 6 also represents the day we became friends. November 6, remember? And remember when we met for the very first time? I was holding a couple of marbles & dropped them right?”

“Ye-”

“Well guess what. I was holding 6 marbles that time! Coincidence? I think not! Oh and remember when… when you first kissed me…” he paused & blushed & so did Kris “That was on January 6”

There was silence for a minute before he spoke again

“I-If you don’t like it then it’s fine. I just wanted to give you something since you’re so busy with work & all. I know it’s really simple & I guess it’s not meaningful enou—”

“No. I like it actually. I think it’s really great. Thank you for this.” Tao’s eyes gleamed in ecstasy with Kris’ words & got up his chair to give him a hug in which Kris reciprocated. Awkwardly.

 

“By the way, what did you wanna talk about?” He almost forgot the reason why he summoned Tao & his facial expression is replaced with confusion.

“Seriously. You’ve been acting pretty weird today. What’s up?!” 

He sighed before answering “Nothing.”

Tao was already angry at his dull response, though he was trying not to ruin their special day. “Stop denying it I know there’s something wrong. What’s wrong?!” He was staring at his face until his glance shifted to his neck.

“Kris? Where’s the necklace I gave you?” 

‘Kris’. Hearing him call Kris by his name & not ‘BenBen’ hurt Kris a little bit. He knew Tao was already angry. 

Tears started forming round his eyes as he looked at Kris’ painful expression. Even he doesn’t know where the necklace was & if Tao hadn’t pointed it out, he wouldn’t have remembered.

 

“Let’s go talk somewhere else, please.” he turned around & walked to the street.