Chapter 9.5

Is it killing you, like it's killing me?

The thought of the necklace did not leave Tao’s mind even for a split second until they’ve reached the beach where they continued walking until the loud hubbub of people was replaced by the quiet susurrus of the ocean & the odor of a variety of foods was replaced by the fresh sea breeze.

 

“The necklace… where is it?” Tao asked before they even came to a stop.

“I…”

“What happened?”

“Tao, I’m sorry”

“Kris? Why?”

“I’m so sorry” Kris couldn’t bear looking at Tao’s eyes any longer.  

“It’s just that… I couldn’t help it. I’m sorry. People change, feelings change. I couldn’t help it. I’m sorry.” His voice was wavering & couldn’t find the right words to say to the person in front of him whose tears were on the verge of dropping from his eyes that were staring at him in a mixture of disbelief & agony.

Tao eventually got the hint of what Kris was trying to say. For him, it was sort of obvious in a way, although during that very moment, he was wishing & hoping that his intuition was wrong & that he’s just being paranoid.

“You & Junmyeon?” he asked, but Kris was taking too long to respond.

“Just answer me!” it was Tao’s unexpected snarl that startled Kris. This wasn’t Tao. This wasn’t the submissive, quiet, & jolly person Kris once knew & loved. It was somebody else with the exact same manifestation.

“Is this because of Junmyeon?!”

“…Yes”

Tears have already started pouring down before he even uttered the entire word. “I knew it” he whispered.

“I’m—”

“Kris how could you do this to me?!”

“Tao I—“

“I LOVE YOU!” Along with his overflowing tears, he was also overflowing with his emotions that silenced Kris who was staring at the golden granular sand which slowly turned dull because of the pouring rain. It was probably hard on you being in a long distance relationship but it was also hard for me, in fact, it was harder for me! You have Kyungsoo, Lay, Baekhyun a-and Junmyeon... while I have no one. I'm always out of place with Sehun & Luhan. I tried meddling with other people. I tried talking to Ryeowook, to Siwon, to Taemin & all of our other friends but none of them lasted so I gave up & started forcusing on my studies instead. I had no friends, no one to talk to. No one to tell my problems to. I didn't want to disturb you either because I know you're already stressed because of your work. And I don't want to be an addition to that. Kris, you weren't the only one who was struggling! And you know how I managed to survive through hell so far? I kept telling myself that you're also going through the same thing. We're both going through the same thing. I kept telling myself that I'm not alone. But... but now...

If there was one thing Kris wished didn’t exist or didn’t happen, it would be that moment. The moment when he was painfully unemotional that the sky cried for him instead.

“I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THAT IT HURTS! I trusted you Kris…” despite the pouring rain & that fact that they were both already soaked, he slowly moved towards Kris & held his head up with both of his hands & looked him in the eyes with tears that wouldn’t stop pouring “I trusted you. But you betrayed me. You broke my heart. But you know what hurts the most? The fact that I still love you. Right now. I love you. I still do, K-Kris…” he collapsed in agony & his silent gasps were replaced by loud wailing & shouting in pain & anger. “KRIS! I LOVE YOU!”

 

“Tao I’m… I’m so sorry… I—” he broke, not knowing what to say because he realized that his sorry won’t change anything. His sorry won’t bring back the smiling Tao before. His sorry won’t bring back the bright blue sky that’s already dark & loud.

Moreover, his sorry won’t bring back the necklace & the way things were before for Tao & him.

 

“Goodbye”

 

Still wearing an emotionless mask, he slowly moved his feet in the opposite direction. Slowly disappearing before Tao who was still wailing louder than the thunder & loud ocean waves. Also, Kris’ emotionless mask slowly broke & before he knew it, his tears were already pouring like the rain & he only cried more everytime he heard Tao’s cry, though he never turned his back.

 

A/N: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (we still have 5 hours here tho)