Chapter V

A Day In Our Lives

The crops swayed as the wind blew. The sun shared its sunlight with the growths even though it was already setting. Cows ploughed the field, their owner overseeing them. Ants worked their way to their hill with the food they found. There were barely any soul to be seen. It was a tranquil scene. But, in the middle of this peaceful countryside were two city folks running around in circles with sparklers in their hands. Their laughter broke the serenity of the countryside.

Jung Yonghwa passed a newly lit sparkler to Seo Joohyun. They had a smile plastered on their cheerful face – a smile that is always seen on a young child. They were 25- and 23-year-old respectively, but they were now back to their child self. They were celebrities trying to keep a low profile on their relationship, but they were playing at an open field with no disguise.

They had travelled from their capital city to a countryside. It hit Yonghwa one day that it was somewhat possible to meet Seohyun at a countryside as he figured that there won’t be any nosy paparazzi there.. well, unless they followed them from the city. He searched for the right place during his free time and managed to find one about two hours away.

During their journey, Seohyun was constantly voicing out her worries that they might be seen and was afraid that there were reporters on their tail. But, Yonghwa kept reassuring her that it was alright. Once the worries and reassurances died down, the couple spent the rest of their journey catching up with one another, him being choding, she checking up on his health, and all other trivial matters.

When they finally reached the field, Seohyun – just like how she was the whole day today – gave a puzzled expression. In return, Yonghwa just gave his childish smile and got out of the car. The former followed suit. Yonghwa opened the trunk and revealed a few boxes of sparklers. Both of them just smiled, looking into one another’s eyes. And, the next thing you know, they were playing with the sparklers like how a ten-year-old would. Laughter escaping from their smile.

Yonghwa lit up another sparkler using the fire on the candle that he set up. He looked at her mischievously. She looked at him, noticing that impish grin. She shook her head, her eyes beckoning him not to do it. But of course, being a choding he is, he didn’t listen to her.

“Oppa!” she screamed as she ran away from him. He was chasing her with the lighted stick. Laughter continuously made its appearance. It didn’t occur to them that they were CNBLUE’s Jung Yonghwa and SNSD’s Seohyun. At that moment, they were just a regular couple.

A hissing sound was heard after a while. Yonghwa looked down. The last light from his sparkler disappeared. Seohyun turned to look back at him when the sound of his footsteps were gone. She smiled. She slowly walked back to him. Her stroll teasing him.

“Out of ammo?” she asked.

His lips were already pouting, upset at his loss.

“Aish, choding,” she said as she ruffled his slick black hair. She walked back to his car.

“I’m not a choding,” he replied as he followed her.

“You are a choding.”

“I’m really not a choding.”

“You are one.”

“Ah seriously, I’m not.”

Seohyun just smiled. Her oppa clearly knows that he is a choding, but he’d always retaliate by saying he isn’t. “Then, give me one name. Just one. The name of the person who says otherwise.”

He stopped in his tracks, searching for a name that he knows doesn’t exist. He scratched his head and smiled. “Alright, you win,” he answered. “But, I’m your choding, right?”

She gave him a revolted look, just like she always did every single time he asked that. “Choding AND cheesy. How did I end up with you?”

“Why? Regretting it now?” he teased.

“I think so,” she replied, not backing down on their choding battle of jealousies.

“As if. I’m your first love, Seo Joohyun-shi.”

“I know. But, why? How?” she refused to give in.

“I don’t know. I asked myself the same thing every day.” He stepped closer to her. Both his hands were behind his back, his left hand holding his right wrist. He bent forward, closing in the distance between them. His eyes were at the same level as hers. Their eyes were locked into one another. He gave her a quirky smile – the one he always gives her when he knows he is winning their choding battle.

The tip of their noses were only a few centimetres apart. They could hear each other’s breathing. Yonghwa slowly closed the gap. But before their lips could touch one another, Seohyun playfully pushed him and ran away.

“Yah, Seo Joohyun!” He can’t believe he put his guard down and let her win their battle. Seohyun turned around and stuck out her tongue at him. “Merong!” she teased. He chased after her.

Just as Yonghwa caught up to her, Seohyun felt a drop of water trickling down her face. She looked up and realised that the orange sky had turned to grey. They were too preoccupied with each other’s company that they did not realise the change in weather. The second raindrop weren’t far from the first and soon, the couple were showered with countless drops of rain.

Seohyun immediately ran back to his car for shelter, pulling Yonghwa behind her. As she pulled open the car door, he pushed it to close it back.

“Oppa, what are you doing?”

“What did I say?”

Seohyun looked at her oppa quizzically.

“Don’t care about tomorrow. There’s only today,” he reminded her with a smile.

“But,” she hesitated, “we’ll get sick at this rate.”

“Then, we can get another day off. We can have another date. You’ll take care of me. I’ll take care of you. Sounds like a plan?”

“Oppa!” Seohyun hit his chest. Yonghwa instinctively protected himself against her “hit”. They were already drenched in the rain. Their shirts and jeans were already soaked through, but their smile still haven’t left their face. Their wet hair was stuck to their faces. This time, Seohyun leaned in towards Yonghwa. Their lips could feel each other’s presence. They were only a few millimetres apart – the gap almost non-existent. If he had moved slightly forward, their lips would have touched.

But, apparently, the battle was still ongoing – well, only Seohyun remembered. She pushed him away again and stuck out her tongue at him.

“Yah, Seo Joohyun!” He, of course, went in pursuit of her.

As the sun set somewhere behind the grey nimbostratus clouds, it lent its light to another resident of the sky in order for it to show its crescent self among the twinkling stars. The animals that were working on the field were now resting in their sheds after a hard day at work. There was not a single soul to be seen. In this sudden downpour, there were two city folks running around – the guy realising his true love and the girl experiencing her first love.