Chapter IV

A Day In Our Lives

The sun is out. Grey clouds turned white as the last drops of rain touched the earth. The wet asphalt roads, pavements and soil were now bathed with rays of sunshine. Seo Joohyun looked around. There was no one. After the photoshoot, she had went into the changing room to change. But when she came out, her unnies and manager were not there. She waited outside the building, thinking that maybe they had gone to the van first. But, no one came. She took out her phone and dialled her manager’s number.

“Oh, Seohyun-ie?” the manager answered, surprised. “You’re still there?”

“What do you mean by that?” she replied curiously. “I thought you were going to drive me to my next schedule with Taeyeon unnie and Tiffany unnie.”

“Oh, but Lee Sooman-sajangnim just called me that someone else will drive you to your next schedule.”

Seohyun was puzzled. Her manager would normally be the one who would send her to the next schedule. And, why would the CEO of their company personally call their manager to just inform him that there would be another driver to pick her up? Seohyun just replied okay to her manager and hung up after saying their goodbyes.

She looked around. Still no sign of anyone. She checked her messages. No new messages. He must be preoccupied with his composition right now to not even notice his phone. She could have just sent him another text, but she wouldn’t. Composing a song was something that she do not want to disturb. It’s a time for himself; that’s what she kept telling herself. He would always answer that it was alright, but she just didn’t want to. She’ll just send him a message when she receives a text from him.

Just then, a car stopped in front of her. It was not a company car, but it was familiar. She wondered if this was the driver who was supposed to pick her up. She bent down slightly to see the driver, but the windows were tinted. The windows then slowly wind down to reveal the driver. Seohyun took a step back in surprise.

“Hi,” he greeted with a wide smile. “I love you too.”

~~~~

Seohyun was now seated at the passenger seat of the earlier car. She glared at the person beside her. The car wasn’t moving. She wouldn’t let him drive off unless he explains the situation to her.

“As far as I know,” she begins, “I still have a schedule after this.”

“I know,” he replied. “I’m your next schedule.”

“Oppa!” She hit him on his arms.

“Yah! Is this how you greet your oppa when we hadn’t met in such a long time?”

Seohyun stayed silent. She was still puzzled as to how her schedule changed so suddenly. She remembered her manager showing her the agenda she’ll be having today; CF photoshoot, magazine photoshoot and TaeTiSeo dance rehearsals. She should be getting to a studio now, but she’s in a car with her oppa that she wasn’t supposed to be seen with. And, the fact that her CEO personally delivered a “hidden” message to her manager was confusing her even more. She thought he was the one with the most number of reasons to keep Jung Yonghwa away from her for now.

Seeing her perplexed look, he smiled. “Call your manager again. Ask him to check your schedule again.”

She looked at him suspiciously. It wasn’t because she didn’t trust him. It’s just that she was confused. One minute, she was preparing for her next work and the next minute, the person that she wanted to see the most was in front of her. She took out her phone and dialled the most recent number.

“Oh, Seohyun-ah,” her manager answered. “Has the driver reached?”

Seohyun looked at Yonghwa. “Yes, oppa,” she replied. Yonghwa was making a smile with his eyes – a smile he’d always make when things are going his way. She wondered what the man beside her had planned.

Seohyun asked her manager to check her schedule for her again. There was a temporary static silence between the both of them as the manager looked through his tablet. He sounded surprise a minute later.

“What’s wrong?” Seohyun asked.

“I don’t get it. I thought I saw them here yesterday.”

“Oppa?”

“Oh, Seohyun-ah. I think someone from the management might have changed your schedule.”

“What do you mean, oppa?”

“Your schedule is free till tomorrow evening.”

“What?” Seohyun squinted at Yonghwa. He was already giving his victory signs to her with his two index and middle fingers.

Seohyun bid her manager farewell and told him to tell her unnies that she’s with Yonghwa oppa. Her manager was as surprise as she was when he heard Yonghwa’s name. She promised she’ll explain more to him once she fully understands the situation herself.

“Now, do you believe me?” Yonghwa teasingly asked her.

“How?” she asked.

“Hmm?”

“How do you make this happen?” She wasn’t being sceptical. She was curious. SM and FNC weren’t exactly fans of their relationship. Even when they both came forward to their companies with their relationship, they just allowed them to date with conditions that the companies didn’t want to get involve in their relationship and they should keep their love life hidden from the public. But above all, Seohyun was touched that whatever it was that Yonghwa did, he actually managed to set a date – a real one, not virtually – for the first time this year.

Yonghwa just smiled. He reached out for her phone and long pressed on a button on its side. A short tune played on her phone before the screen out. He opened the compartment in front of Seohyun and placed the unworkable mobile in it.

Seohyun looked at Yonghwa – her eyes asking him questions. Naturally, he answered with his eyes – ‘trust me’.

“Today,” he finally said. “is the day where the main character is me, Jung Yonghwa, and you, Seo Joohyun.” He pointed dramatically to himself and Seohyun as he mentioned their names. “No one can disturb us,” he pointed to the compartment where the phone was. “Don’t care about tomorrow. There’s only today.”

Yonghwa placed both his hands on the steering wheel. He looked at Seohyun. “Are you ready, Seo Joohyun?”

Seohyun looked into his eyes. Choding was all she can see in his eyes. She can see that he was definitely proud that he actually made this meeting possible. But in his eyes, she can also see tears on the verge of falling. Like him, she was holding it in too. They were happy that they could finally see each other vis a vis. But, they couldn’t even believe that they were seated side by side right now.

“Let’s go!” she answered excitedly as she pointed her right index finger forward to the road in front of them.

And as Yonghwa starts the car, it was a start of an actual new day for the both of them.