Chapter II

A Day In Our Lives

The sky continued to shower on the earth, becoming heavier and heavier by the minute. In a certain bedroom, a phone began to vibrate, moving about a centimetre at each vibration. A notification tone went off. Its volume gradually increasing. Despite all these disturbances, a lone figure on the bed remained unmoved.

Outside, a slim figure came out from the toilet. His hair was wet and dishevelled. His fresh face reminded one of a kind kid. His body was only covered with a boxer and white shirt. A towel hung around his neck. He may look like an average university student, but underneath this regular appearance was a toned body that was envied and loved by many.

After drying his hair with the towel, he moved towards a door and turned the knob. He switched on the light and it lit up a tiny yet cosy space. The room was originally small. But, the presence of shelves, study table, wardrobe and bed made it even smaller. A suitcase took up the only area left for walking. He sighed. The owner of this room kept saying he was an organised person, but truth be told, he was only organised at a certain time. The former can’t blame him for the “slight” mess since they’d just returned from an overseas schedule a few hours ago.

He looked at the lanky figure on the bed. They may have just returned home, but there was always work for them. “Jungshin-ah,” he called, “Wake up.” The latter moved slightly, but still didn’t rouse.

“Jungshin-ah,” the former called again. This time, the latter moved – his long upper limb reaching out for a pillow and placing it over his head, trying to block out any annoying noises. The former left the room, but kept the door opened. He continued calling out the sleeping fellow every minute as he prepared himself for his schedule.

Back in the first room, the lone figure began to stir. Even though he was not being woken up, the voice was disturbing his sleep. Most of the time, when the person outside is trying to wake their maknae up, the other two hyungs would end up waking up too. It wasn’t his fault, but his voice had inadvertently became the trio’s alarm.

“Jungshin-ah.” It still hadn’t stopped.

Even though the “alarm” wasn’t meant for him, the elder hyung sat up on his bed. He ruffled his hair violently, annoyed. He looked at the clock on the wall. 7:26 AM. He gave an expression of dismissal. He didn’t have any schedule today. It was a day for him to rest. He would have probably slept till the sun was at its highest point of the day if it wasn’t for .

Jung Yonghwa stared into space, his back hunched. He thought of nothing. Just waited for the maknae to finally wake up and the “alarm” to be “silent”, so he can carry on sleeping. A melody slowly formed in his empty mind. His head unconsciously moved to the beats. He began humming inaudibly. He suddenly straightened his back. His droopy eyes became wide. He looked around the room for his guitar. It was at its usual place on the guitar stand. He grabbed it. He also took his phone from the bedside drawer.

He unlocked his phone and unknowingly smiled. The girl – no – the lady on the screen never fail to make his heart skipped a beat. Even though he had already set that as his wallpaper for more than half a year, his heart still flutters at its sight. It was taken from outside a café. They were meeting up for a quick supper. She was reading her book as usual while waiting for him. From outside, she still looked flawless to him. He always liked taking photos of her when she is focused on something, not taking note of her surroundings. He found her at her prettiest during those times.

A number ‘3’ on one of his icons brought his attention away from the wallpaper. He pressed on it. There were three messages from two separate people – two from one of them and one from the other. His thumb immediately pressed on the message with the name of the same lady on his ‘Home’ screen. He smiled.

Good morning, Yo~ong :) sorry for the late reply. I didn’t hear anything. Must be tired. You rest well too, oppa. Today’s your rest day, right? I envy you :( :{ I have a CF and magazine photoshoot later. After that, I’ll be at SM with Taeyeon unnie and Tiffany unnie for our dance rehearsals. I know we still can’t meet, but maybe if time allows, we can video call later at night?

A second message read:

I love you too, Yong oppa :D

Yonghwa re-read the message. It had become a habit of his to re-read her messages. His thumb positioned themselves above the virtual keyboard as his brain – no – his heart came up with a reply.

Hyu~un!!!! Looks like I have to accompany you today. Kekekeke. I’ll keep my phone close by. Just text me if you’re bored. I got nothing to do today anyway :) Enjoy and don’t strain yourself too much, okay? Hwaiting :D

He checked the time on the top right-hand corner of his phone screen. It was 7:34 AM. His thumb distanced itself away from the ‘Send’ button. Isn’t she having her “reading period” now, he thought. He decided not to distract her from her concentration by sending the message. This one hour in the morning that she had dedicated herself to ever since she was a kid was something that he didn’t want to interrupt. It’s a time for herself; that’s what he kept telling himself. She would always retaliate by saying that it was alright, but he just didn’t want to. He planned to send her the message after 8 AM.

He went back to the ‘Home’ screen and searched for a particular icon. He positioned his phone in front of him, on the bed. He took his guitar and strummed a few chords. He pressed a button on his phone screen and played the melody that was on his mind using his guitar. It was a start of another day. He was slightly irritated when he first woke up. But, a message from a certain someone turned his day around. He strummed.. an unknown melody that would soon be filled with his words and be heard by the world.