Awwwkward!

Falling for Jisu

 

CHAPTER 6

“C-O-A-G-U-L-O-pathy.”

 

“Okay, I’m on it.”

 

Soo Jin peered over Inati’s shoulder as he flipped through the pages of his textbook. Inati was Seung Hae’s best friend and also happened to be a medical student. Instead of seeing Seung Hae’s accident as an unfortunate event, Inati grasped this chance to be by his friend’s side and to learn everything he could from the doctors in charge of Seung Hae.

 

“Looks like it’s a disease dealing with blood. The body isn’t able to clot blood properly which means that when the person bleeds, they do so for long periods of time. If it’s left untreated, things like damage to muscles, organs, and joints may happen and can be life threatening,” Inati read aloud.

 

Soo Jin gasped. “But that means it’s serious! Losing too much blood is really really bad, right?” Inati nodded to confirm the truth in what Soo Jin had said.

 

“Where did this come from all of a sudden? You’ve never been interested in anything medical. Actually, you even run away with just the mention of blood. Are you feeling okay?”

 

“Stop it. I’m trying to ignore that fact right now,” Soo Jin managed to say as she visibly paled. “Can I have your textbook? I’ll just read this section and give it back to you when I’m done.”

 

Handing it to her, Inati stood up and downed his coffee. “No problem. Thanks for the coffee. Call if you need anything else, alright? That includes this and Seung Hae.” Smiling, Soo Jin nodded and waved goodbye to him before concentrating her full attention on coagulopathy.

 

____________________

 

“Little sister that I love so much! What did you bring me today?” Soo Jin walked into the room greeted by her brother’s face split with a huge smile. She rolled her eyes and placed the bag on the table beside Seung Hae’s bed.

 

“You only love me because I make you food.”

 

“Yes, I thought we’ve already established this,” Seung Hae laughingly replied. Soo Jin shot him a half hearted glare only to be given a wink in return.

 

When his eyes caught sight of the bag and its contents, Seung Hae gasped. “You brought so much! Enough to feed an army! Jin-ah, I know I eat a lot but I’m not a giant.” He feigned a hurt expression but his dancing eyes gave him away.

 

“Shut up and eat your noodles.” Soo Jin shoved the container and a pair of chopsticks into her brother’s hands. “Half of this is for someone else.”

 

“Huh? Who?” Even with a bewildered expression, Seung Hae kept eating. Soo Jin’s only response was to pick up the other three containers, turn around, and push aside the curtain that separated Seung Hae and Jisu.

 

Jisu was lounging in an armchair with a magazine splayed across his lap, his head tilted to the side and his eyes shut. The expression on his face was completely relaxed, as if he were at peace. However, that did not draw Soo Jin’s attention away from his slightly gaunt cheeks and pale face. She blinked a few times before refocusing on the task at hand. Soo Jin gently shook Jisu awake, nudging his arm and shoulder. It took a couple tries before his eyes opened and concentrated on Soo Jin’s face.

 

“Ahh!” Jisu jumped, pushing Soo Jin back away from him. “What the hell? You scared me!”

 

Trying to hide a giggle, Soo Jin said, “I didn’t know I was that ugly.”

 

Jisu’s face colored and he shook his head. “That’s not what I meant. You just surprised me, that’s all. Uh, don’t take it the wrong way. Your face is fine. Cute even. Wait, did I just-”

 

Now it was Soo Jin’s turn to blush. “Right, well, uh, I brought some food for you to help you gain back your strength. I made chicken congee and there’s also sliced fruit. There’s warm tea in this thermos if you get thirsty.” She stacked each container on the desk beside him and stared at the wall, willing the blush to go away.

 

“Oh. Thanks. You didn’t have to,” Jisu rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. The two continued in silence, each staring at everything but the other person.

 

All of a sudden from across the room, Seung Hae’s voice announced, “Awwwkward!” followed by his hand motions of the awkward turtle. All three of them burst into laughter and the tension was broken.

 

“Enjoy the food. I’ve gotta get going now,” Soo Jin stood up and began to leave before Jisu caught her hand in his.

 

Staring right into her eyes, he said, “Thank you. I really appreciate it.”

 

Soo Jin managed a weak smile before rushing out of the room, one hand on her chest over her thumping heart. 

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You guys are amazing for being able to put up with such a long wait. Thanks to Vleenie for giving me a wake up call asking for an update. 

Let me know what you think!