Discovering Seung Hae's Roommate

Falling for Jisu

 

 

She was dreaming of sushi. Cucumber rolls, California rolls, dynamite rolls, and sashimi all swirling around ready to be devoured when all of a sudden, Soo Jin’s phone started ringing. Yunho’s melodic voice, which was her ringtone cut into the silence of the morning.  

 

“Hello?” Her voice was scratchy.

 

“Soo Jin! Not awake yet?”

 

Her eyes popped open. “Seung Hae?”

 

Soo Jin was met with her brother’s booming voice once again. “Who else would it be? Silly girl. Are you coming to visit me today? The guys and the girls have been asking about you. Especially Youngwon.” The last sentence was said with a teasing tone. Soo Jin chose to ignore it.

 

“Oppa, do you even have to ask? Of course I’m coming. What do you want to eat?” Soo Jin was wide-awake by now. Flipping the blanket over her legs, she jammed her feet into the duck slippers that Seung Hae had bought her last Christmas. Soo Jin shuffled down the hallway into the kitchen to see what ingredients she still had.

 

Her brother didn’t hesitate. “Fried chicken! And bring me gummy worms! Remember, lots of it. Sweet potato chips, Sprite, and give me your fried rice!”

 

Before Soo Jin could reply, Seung Hae cut in. “Before you say it, yes, I know it’s unhealthy. Yes, I know the doctor said I shouldn’t. And yes, it’d be breaking the rules. But Soo Jin, please? I’ve been craving these things since the instant you left last time. Pleeeeeease?”

 

Whining and pleading was something Seung Hae was particularly good at and it almost always worked on Soo Jin. He knew it too.

Soo Jin sighed before answering, “Alright. I have everything I need to make what you want. But, you have to choose only one – gummy worms or Sprite?”

 

Seung Hae gasped. “You’re making me choose between my two beloved things? How could you? Both!”

 

“Pick, or else neither at all,” Soo Jin said in a stern voice.

 

“Fine,” her brother grumbled, “Gummy worms. Make it fast okay? My mouth is already watering.” And with a huff, Seung Hae hung up.

 

Soo Jin shook her head. He had been that way since she could remember and would probably never change. Cheerful, yet demanding and whiny. Although he was a pain to deal with sometimes, she loved him with all her heart. Seung Hae was incredibly protective too. Because of that, Soo Jin knew that she didn’t have to be scared of anything.

 

Turning her attention back to the food, Soo Jin washed her hands and got to work.

 

____________________

 

The bus stopped with a whoosh of the air brakes and Soo Jin stepped off, thanking the driver. Looking left and right, she ran across the street towards the hospital with the straps to the bag of food grasped firmly in one hand.

 

As soon as she stepped foot into the hospital, she was greeted with smiles. Nodding her head and greeting all the patients that she had previously worked with, she kept moving. Seung Hae was probably starving by now and he got really grumpy when he was forced to wait for a while.

 

“Soo Jin!” Right when she turned the corner, she was attacked with a hug.

 

Soo Jin laughed and hugged him back. “I missed you too, Seung Hae. Here’s your food. I made lots, so make sure to share with everyone too.” Her brother nodded and hustled to his room after flashing her a brilliant smile. Seung Hae and his food. Shaking her head, Soo Jin followed after him.

 

The room was as clean as ever, as the hospital staff only settled for perfection. The only thing that was rumpled was Seung Hae’s blanket on his bed, all crumpled up around his legs as he dug into the fried rice.  Soo Jin walked over to the nightstand and replaced the flowers, throwing away the daisies she had brought last week for the new carnations she had just purchased.

 

Around his huge mouthful, Seung Hae was able to say, “You should go visit the others.”

 

“I will,” she replied, sitting down in a chair.

 

Silently, Soo Jin assessed her brother. Seung Hae had just recently awoken from his two and a half-month long coma. In fact, it had only been about 3 weeks. His memory still being intact was a miracle. Seung Hae was exactly the same as before, and in terms of personality and mood, there weren’t any differences. The only issue now was for him to get used to using his body again. Lying in a bed for so long left his muscles and joints stiff. Now, he had to go through physical therapy for a few hours every day for about another 3 weeks. The doctors predicted a full recovery, and for that, Soo Jin was very grateful.

 

He seemed to be fine. Her gaze broke away from him and she caught sight of the drawn curtain.

 

“Why’s that curtain pulled today?” Whenever Seung Hae had a roommate, he would become friends quickly with them. There was never a need for privacy except for when doctors came in.

 

Seung Hae stopped mid chew. “Oh. They admitted some guy a couple days ago.”

 

 As her brother went back to his food, the roommate stepped out from the other side of the curtain and shuffled towards the door. But he stopped abruptly when he caught sight of Soo Jin. In response, Soo Jin’s eyes widened.

 

It was Jisu. 

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello everyone! I realize it's been ages since I last updated, but please understand that school,

exams, and a job make a person's life really busy. I was able to find some time today and updated! 

Thank you for sticking with the story. :)

Comment and subscribe! I'd love to know what you're thinking :) 

Visit me on Tumblr