Gum Scraper

Falling for Jisu

 

With her ear buds firmly in place blaring MYNAME’s ‘Message’, Soo Jin picked up the spray bottle of warm water and the scraper before heading towards the picnic tables. Kids ran by, some screaming, some giggling, others smiling with their parents behind them. Every now and then, a couple would walk by hand in hand or a group of friends, all laughing at some inside joke. It was a Saturday at the amusement park, and very busy.

 

Soo Jin settled underneath the first picnic table. Slightly crouching, she took the flat, metal scraper and began to scrape off all the dried gum that had been stuck underneath. It was gross knowing that all of this gum had previously been in someone’s mouth. Because of this job, Soo Jin never chewed gum.

 

There were some pieces of gum that were stubborn and just didn’t want to let go. This was when the spray bottle would come in. Give it a couple squirts and a few scrapes and the gum would come loose. When doing this job, you had to be careful that your mouth was closed and that your face was never directly under the gum. There was always a possibly that the gum would parachute and land on your face or your mouth.

 

After completing the first table, Soo Jin grabbed her things and began to crawl out from underneath. What she didn’t expect to see were a pair of legs in her way.

 

“Hey, could you move your legs please?”

 

No response from above.

 

“Excuse me, could you move please?”

 

Still no response.

 

She patted the person’s leg, in hope to get their attention. However, instead of moving, the person turned around, crouched down, and came face to face with her. It was the boy from restaurant, the one that Bbangkku had ‘found’ at the park.

 

His eyes widened in recognition.

 

“Hey! Aren’t you from the park with the dalmatian?”

 

Soo Jin nodded. “Uh, if you wouldn’t mind, could you please move? My back is starting to hurt from being crouched under here for so long.”

 

“Oh, yeah, of course.” The boy shifted and stood up, getting out of the way.

 

“Thanks.” Soo Jin settled down onto the seat and stretched. “Wait…Are you stalking me or something? Why do I always run into you?”

 

It really was weird. First, the restaurant, where he had been with the older man, then the park where he had shown up unexpectantly, and now, at the amusement park.

 

He laughed. “No, no. I’m not. I thought YOU were stalking me.” From the smile on his face, she could tell he was just teasing. “My name is Jisu.”

 

“Oh, well nice to meet you. My name’s Soo Jin.”

 

“And you have a piece of gum stuck to your forehead,” Jisu pointed, trying to hide a laugh.

 

Soo Jin flushed. Oh god. This is embarrassing. She felt around her forehead for the gum and managed to pull it off. Tossing it in the gum bucket, she could still feel the blush on her cheeks.

 

Time for a quick escape. “I should move on to the next tables. Bye!” Soo Jin waved quickly and raced away, stopping at the table furthest from him. She crawled underneath the table and went back to work.

_________________________________

“Bye Min Ju! I’ll be heading home first,” Soo Jin waved goodbye to the girl.

 

“Wait, Soo Jin! Someone left something for you.” Min Ju reached over and grabbed a stuffed pokemon. It was pink and round, adorable looking. She passed it to Soo Jin.

 

“Oh, thanks.”

 

Leaving the building, Soo Jin cradled the pokemon in her arms, only to discover that it had a note attached with tape on its back.

 

Soo Jin,

With hard work, I won this Kirby for you. It’s cute, kind of like its

new owner. You did a wonderful job at scraping all the gum off of that table!

Guessing from our past meetings, I’ll see you soon.

         -Jisu.   

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment and subscribe! I'd love to know what you're thinking :) 

Visit me on Tumblr