Chapter 7

Not so Imaginary
 

Chapter VII

 

 

Boy, girl, boy, girl.

What the?

Boy.

 

“Just great, genius! Now I have no cover,” the raibow-haired… boy said?

“Wait a second! You were a girl just a minute ago!” Jongin exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger at the other’s direction. After colliding into Ms. Rainbow Hair, said girl started glowing and changing. From a girl then to a boy repeatedly, until he stopped at being a boy.

 

“No shiz, Sherlock,” the boy retorted, glaring at Jongin. “Look at what you did.”

 

From the boy’s pocket, he took out what seemed like a golden stick. Broken in half.

 

“You just destroyed my apprentice wand. This was all I had for a disguise in the human world. Not to mention I’d have to pay for this when I get back to the academy. Now you have to take responsibility and help me with my homework.”

 

Apprentice wand? Disguise in the human world? What was this guy talking about? And again, was he not a girl before?

 

“Hey you brown muffin, I’m talking to you! Aren’t you the same guy I bumped into the last time?”

Fudge, so this guy was the girl. But wait, then why is he a guy?

 

“Are you a cross-dresser?”

“What!? What kind of insult is that, you loon!?”

 

Yeah. Cross-dressers don’t just glow out of nowhere. I must be hallucinating. Or this could all be a dream. A terrible, terrible dream.

 

“Like I said, you owe me now! Are you listening to me, human? What are you… Ow!”

Jongin threw a rock at the guy.

“I want to wake up now. Go away. Plus your hair color is so retro; might as well wear an afro.”

 

The rainbow-haired boy glared even harder at Jongin, eyes turning into slits. And… was that sparkles? Oh dear porridge of Argentina, there were sparkles on the boy’s feet! Why are they sparkling? Observing the boy even more, only now did Jongin notice a pair of transparent wings with silver linings on the edges.

He freaked out as his jaw fell. This was so not normal. Needless to say, he threw a dozen more rocks at the creature’s direction and ran home.

 

“Hey! Come back here, you wand-ruiner!”

 

I’m not crazy. I’m not crazy. I’m not crazy…

I’m not…

But he was sparkling, for the love of all things sane! And those wings… what’s wrong with me?

Maybe I’m sick. I should go see the doctor again…

 

“Gaaah!” Jongin yelped as he was met with the rainbow-haired boy.

“Don’t just ‘Gaaah’ at me, freak. You and I need to talk,” the boy began, not looking amused at all. He was in a black hoodie today, hiding his wings (if he really did have them, and Jongin wasn’t an accursed being). His feet sparkles were gone too.

They were currently on the school’s rooftop leaning on the railings. Jongin was skipping first period because he couldn’t take the thoughts running in his head; he was supposed to be giving himself a break. But now this, this thing was here too, when this was the last thing he ever wanted to think of. 

 

“Listen up, punk.”

“I can’t take you seriously when you’re saying that with rainbow-colored hair.”

“Just shut up, already. I am in a very, very bad mood today, and you do not know the things I am capable of. ”

“Actually, I don’t even know what you are. And I want to avoid you my entire life, so if we could just pretend neither of us existed…”

“You broke my apprentice wand!”

“It was a gold stick! There are tons of tree branches in the forest. Paint them all if you want!”

Mr. Rainbow Hair sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in irritation. “It wasn’t a stick! And I am a fairy, ok!? I am a fairy sent here from the academy for my Humans Observations class.”

Jongin took a while to process things, just staring blankly at the guy’s face.

“… Oh, now I get it. And I’m the Queen of England, nice to meet you.”

Jongin got kicked on the shin.

“Ow! What was that for?” Jongin winced in pain.

“Queen of England my ! My assignment deadline is due in a month, and now I can’t disguise myself or use any form of magic because you effin’ broke my wand! Not cool man. So now, you have to help me.”

“Like donuts, I’ll help you! Go rope some other disturbed kid! Plus, you’re crazy. Fairies don’t exist, oh deranged one.”

“You already saw my wings and the magical sparkles I was emitting, but you still don’t believe me?”

“Duh. How do I know you’re not just an escapee from the mental hospital? Or high on ? Or sniffin’ rugby? The possibilities are endless. You could just be some guy going to cosplay conventions every day for all I care.”

 

The guy grumbled. He took out a device from his pocket that looked like an ordinary iphone. Then a blue light came from the camera lens, scanning Jongin from top to bottom. What was that?

“Kim Jongin,” the fairy (yeah, right) said.

 

“Your one wish is to bring your imaginary friend Kyungsoo to life.”

 

Jongin’s eyes widened. But he wasn’t going to believe just yet, even though that was really amazing. No one knew anything about Kyungsoo, except himself.

“What nonsense are you spouting? I’m in high school and you think I have an imaginary friend?”

“You would if you didn’t tell him to leave.”

Jongin gasped internally, but he pretended to be unfazed and continued. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

The guy smirked. “Really now? You were seven and you were lonely. The dark, rich kid who had no one. Until one day you imagined a small guy with wide eyes, loving you the way he should. But everything turned for the worst when you got too attached and made yourself believe he was real. You just loved him that much. But he couldn’t be real; he could never be real.

Ring any bells? Jonginnie?”

 

Jongin felt his knees weaken as his lips dried. The memory was so clear, and so very painful. And also, it was something that only he knew of. Could this guy really have been a fairy?

 

“Hey, what if I offered a deal? What if I said, I could make Kyungsoo real?”

 

Jongin scoffed. “As if. There’s no way you could turn him human.”

Sehun raised a brow as a smirk grew on his face. “Oh, so you admit that this Kyungsoo did exist once upon a time.”

Jongin facepalmed. Sehun had caught him. “Ok, so what if that is true? I don’t know what kind of device that iphone really is, but nothing—no contraption on Earth could make an imaginary person truly live.”

“Who said my device was from Earth? I’m telling you, I’m a fairy. And this little thing, disguised as an ‘iphone’ that you humans use, is called a Wish Index. Every human’s wish is recorded in this device—whether it’s their past wishes or present wishes. By either typing a human’s name or letting this device scan a human’s body, it can tell me who you are and what your wish is. The most prominent one, if you have a lot of wishes.”

 

“Wow, you really are made of baloney. Talk to me when you come back to reality.”

 

Jongin was about to leave when the guy grabbed his wrist.

“Kim Jongin, my name’s Sehun.”

“I didn’t ask.”

“You owe me for breaking my wand.”

“I did no such thing.”

“So now I will follow you every day until the end of the month to pester you into helping me.”

“I will never come out of my house.”

“Should you choose to cooperate, I will give you this.”

 

Sehun reached in his pocket to get something. He brought out a piece of candy wrapped in a blue transparent wrapper. The candy was glowing.

 

“This is a Wish Candy. You know it actually comes in three different flavors: Strawberry, Orange and Mint. Obviously this is Mint.”

“You couldn’t have gotten any other flavor?”

“I happen to like freshness in my mouth.”

“Ok, so what about it?”

“If you help me with my assignment, I’ll let you eat this Wish Candy. It’ll grant your wish and make Kyungsoo real. Isn’t that what you’ve always wanted? All I ask is for some cooperation. Also, I’m going to annoy you to death if you don’t agree.”

 

Jongin bit his lower lip. This was so crazy; there was no way that piece of candy could really grant his wish... Could it? And this Sehun guy was totally beyond coconuts; Jongin still found it hard to believe he was really a fairy. But Sehun looked serious though. He didn’t seem like someone who would be a rip off.

Plus, there was Kyungsoo. To actually see and touch the guy, for real this time… could that really happen?

 

 

“Uh… I’ll think about it.” What am I saying?

 “Good. I’ll make sure to annoy you into agreement.”

“You’re a persistent thing aren’t you?”

“I need to pass this subject, you twit.”

 

 

That night, Jongin slept peacefully which was the first in a long time. He would usually have no dreams or have nightmares. But that night, he dreamed that Kyungsoo was lying in bed next to him, with that beautiful smile on his face. Jongin couldn’t resist the urge to hug the boy tightly, spewing apologies for ever telling him to leave.

 

This time, I won’t let you go

 

***

Author's note:

 

The Sehun is out! >_< Comments are loved~