Need

You Exist In My Song

It's Thursday night and they're out eating dinner at the food stall again (the lady had leered at them with an 'I told you so'-grin when she caught Yixing leaning across the table to steal a quick kiss from Joonmyun's lips, and Joonmyun had flushed so hard he nearly burned all the way through the floor), when Yixing asks: “Do you have any plans for tomorrow?”

Well...” Joonmyun thinks it over for a second. “I'm going to work, but... I think that's about it. Why?”

Yixing feeds him a dumpling. “I'd like to take you somewhere, if you have the time.” Joonmyun looks at him curiously while chewing his food, and Yixing elaborates with a slightly impish smile: “I, uh... I have an appointment at the tattoo shop tomorrow afternoon.”

Again?” Joonmyun exclaims, unable to hide his surprise. “But you were just there last week.” The star tattoo on Yixing's ribs is still sore, Joonmyun knows this for a fact.

It's an addiction,” Yixing sighs. He doesn't seem very upset about it, though. “So, do you want to come with me? You even get to hold my hand and everything.”

Depends on whether or not I get off in time to make it.” Joonmyun purses his lips. Friday is usually a short day at work for him, so it's possible that he'd be able to. “What are you getting done, anyway?” He looks Yixing over as if he'd actually be able to see his current tattoos that way. He can't, of course, Yixing is all covered up, but Joonmyun has pretty much memorized all of Yixing's body art by now and he knows that there is only a limited amount of skin left to work on. He's curious to find out which part of it Yixing will choose to have decorated next.

Smiling, Yixing feeds Joonmyun a bite of jeon. “You'll just have to wait and see, won't you?”


Usually it's always Jongdae who takes the lead when it comes to their friendship, and Joonmyun figures that it would probably be a good idea if he shows that he's actually interested in doing stuff together and doesn't just go along with things out of politeness. That's why he decides that he's going to be the one to ask Jongdae out for lunch rather than the other way around for once.

It's just shy of noon on Friday when Joonmyun knocks on the door to Jongdae's office, and he's welcomed by a cheerful: “Yes?”

Jongdae is smiling when Joonmyun steps inside. “Hey,” Joonmyun greets him.

Hey, hyung. Hold on.” There are a few clicks from Jongdae's mouse as he closes various tabs on his computer. Joonmyun contemplates making a joke about watching at work, but scratches that idea when he remembers that Jongdae already used that on him. Jongdae turns his attention to Joonmyun again. “Alright. What's up?”

Nothing much,” Joonmyun says, walking over to casually perch himself on the edge of Jongdae's desk. He feels a lot more awkward doing that than he had hoped he would, but he fights back the initial wave of embarrassment that washes over him and soldiers on bravely: “I was just wondering if you wanted to go out for lunch together. My treat.”

Jongdae's expression changes into an apologetic one, his brow furrowing. “I'm sorry, hyung, I kind of already have other plans.”

Oh, okay.” Joonmyun had been prepared for rejection, especially since he's asking on such short notice, so he's only a little bit disappointed by the answer. He already expected it. “That's alright. Maybe some other time, then.”

Just as Joonmyun stands up to leave, however, Jongdae stops him by suggesting: “You know, you can always join us, if you want.”

Joonmyun thinks it over for a moment. “I don't know,” he says hesitantly. “I don't want to impose or anything. I mean, if you're going on a date with someone...”

He recoils in surprise when Jongdae bursts out laughing. “Sorry.” Jongdae waves a dismissing hand, still chuckling. “It's not a date, hyung. I'm just having lunch with my brother.”

Joonmyun flushes. “Oh.” Well. That changes things. “Are you sure he won't mind if I tag along?”

Jongdae scoffs. “That brat can go a fat if he has any objections,” he mutters. Joonmyun stares at him incredulously, surprised that he'd talk about his own brother like that. Jongdae notices Joonmyun's expression and clears his throat. “I mean, uh... No no, he'll be totally fine with it. Luhan's coming too, anyway.” Well. That definitely changes things. “So, do you want to come?”

Yeah,” Joonmyun says. “Sure. Let's do it.” He still feels awkward in social situations like this one, but if Jongdae and Luhan are going to be there, Joonmyun thinks he can manage it.

They pick up Luhan in his office – it turns out that he's more than happy that Joonmyun is going with them, which makes Joonmyun's anxiety dissipate almost fully – and together they go to the cafe Jongdae had agreed to meet his brother at.

He's here already,” Jongdae says after checking his messages. Despite the fact that Joonmyun has no idea what Jongdae's brother looks like, he still cranes his neck to cast a look around the place. Jongdae mentioned that it's his baby brother (he had also said in the same breath that 'the kid' was born only two years after him, though), so Joonmyun expects to see a slightly younger version of Jongdae or at least someone with similar features.

That is why he's so surprised when they're approached by a young man who looks nothing like Jongdae. Jongdae is just as short as Joonmyun, he's pale and has a slim body, wiry limbs and next to no sense of coordination. This guy, however, is tall and tan, has a body that looks like something created by a sculptor from ancient Greece and moves with the grace of a dancer, and it's not until he envelops Jongdae in a hug that Joonmyun realizes that this is Jongdae's brother.

Jongdae slings an arm around the guy, hanging on him with pretty much all his weight to force him down enough that Jongdae doesn't have to tiptoe to be able to reach his shoulders. “This is my brother, Jongin,” he says.

Nice to meet you,” Jongin mumbles and gives a quick bow. He looks a bit shy, constantly fidgeting with his hands or pulling on his bottom lip with his fingers and avoiding eye contact for the most part. It seems like his personality is the opposite of Jongdae's as well.

This is Joonmyun,” Jongdae introduces. “His office is right next to mine.”

I am so sorry,” Jongin says with great feeling as he shakes Joonmyun's hand. He agilely dodges the punch Jongdae aims at his shoulder, throwing his brother a cheeky grin.

Jongdae scowls, clearly unsatisfied with being outdone. He moves on despite his sour expression. “And this is Luhan, he works down the hall from us.”

Hi,” Luhan says, shaking Jongin's hand while staring him right in the face even though it seems to make him uncomfortable. “Wow, you guys really don't look much alike.” Joonmyun is glad Luhan had the guts to say it out loud. Sure, he had been thinking the same thing, but he'd never be able to voice that thought out of fear of coming off as rude or inappropriate. Luhan doesn't seem to have the same reservations.

He's adopted,” Jongdae and Jongin say at the exact same time. They immediately glower at each other, but it doesn't seem very serious when there are smiles tugging at the corners of their lips. Luhan is looking at them with his mouth hanging open in fascination like he's watching a TV show. Joonmyun isn't sure what to make of it all. He just knows that this is going to be interesting.

Jongdae and Jongin may not be similar in appearance or in mind, but they definitely fight like brothers. They bicker and shove each other playfully and snatch pieces of meat out from under each other's chopsticks. Joonmyun tries his best to keep up with the underhanded insults they sling out while Luhan just watches them go at it with amusement. “It's like dinner and a show,” he stage-whispers to Joonmyun, who smiles and nods stiffly.

Sorry about this one,” Jongdae says, nudging his brother with his elbow. “I think the kid tends to forget that he's not a toddler sometimes.”

Pot calling the kettle black,” Jongin retorts without missing a beat, and before Jongdae can react in time to stop him, Jongin has already stolen another piece of meat from Jongdae's plate, stuffed it into his mouth and is chewing it obnoxiously.

Jongdae chooses to ignore his brother's grin. “So are you guys doing anything interesting today?”

Luhan shrugs. “Not really. I've got a box of leftover pizza calling my name. Super exciting stuff.”

Uhm, well... I'm going to see Yixing later,” Joonmyun mumbles. He flushes when Jongdae leers knowingly. “He's getting another tattoo and asked me to come with him.”

Yixing?” Jongin mutters, but he seems pensive rather than questioning.

Yeah,” Jongdae says nonetheless. “Joonmyun's... friend.” He changes his wording at the last second, gaze flickering briefly to Joonmyun, and Joonmyun is thankful that he's so considerate. He doesn't think he'd like it very much if Jongdae outed him, even if it was by accident.

Why does that name seem so familiar?” Jongin muses, and Joonmyun is suddenly curious.

Do you know him?” he asks. Jongin furrows his brow in thought. “Zhang Yixing, twenty-seven, works as a waiter and plays guitar in a band called Switchblade Granola?”

Luhan snorts incredulously. “Switchblade Granola, are you serious?”

Joonmyun doesn't even spare him a glance. “It's a long story.”

Hmm, no, none of that really rings a bell for me,” Jongin mutters slowly, still looking contemplative. “But the name is definitely familiar.” He shrugs. “I don't know.”

The subject is changed and they go on to speak about other things, but he can't stop thinking about how Jongin and Yixing could possibly know each other. Maybe he should ask Yixing.


Joonmyun still has about half an hour left at the office when Yixing shows up later that same afternoon. Once more Luhan is the one who brings him in, and he doesn't look any less interested than he did the first time, unabashedly eyeing Yixing's tattooed arms with his mouth hanging open until he notices the way Joonmyun is glaring. He seems to take that as his cue to leave.

There's a knowing smile on Yixing's face when Joonmyun turns his attention to him, a smile that makes Joonmyun's own fade to be replaced by a frown of confusion. “What?” he asks.

Nothing,” Yixing sing-songs, even though that's clearly not the truth. He closes the door behind himself and makes his way across the room to place his hands on the armrests of Joonmyun's chair, one on each side. Like this, he leans in to give Joonmyun a kiss. “Hey.”

Hey yourself,” Joonmyun says. He gestures to his computer with an apologetic grimace. “Sorry, I'm not quite done here yet.”

That's alright.” Yixing plops down onto the spare chair standing on the other side of the desk. “I don't have to be there for another hour or so, I can wait. I'll be real quiet, I promise.” He adds the last part when he notices Joonmyun's unsure expression. The truth is that Joonmyun isn't so much worried about Yixing making noise as he's worried about his own ability to concentrate with Yixing sitting right there. He doesn't say anything about that, though, and simply chooses to go back to work, eager to get finished so he can leave with Yixing.

Things go smoother than expected and after less than twenty minutes Joonmyun is ready to send his work out. He reads it over one last time to make sure everything is as it should be. Then, satisfied with his own effort, he stretches, leaning back in his chair, and he finally tears his eyes away from the screen he's been staring at for most of the day to find Yixing looking right at him. Joonmyun recoils. He had kind of managed to forget that Yixing was there, that's how quiet he was the whole time. Now Joonmyun feels a bit embarrassed.

Yixing is still staring at him, biting his bottom lip, and Joonmyun shifts uncomfortably in his seat. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Yixing shakes his head as if to rid himself of an invisible fog, and he smiles. “It's just... you look really y when you're focused.”

Joonmyun flushes bright red. “Stop it,” he mutters, lowering his gaze bashfully. He may like the compliment more than he's willing to let on, but he'd rather not do this in his office. He doesn't want to risk it. “I'm done. We can go now, if you'd like.”

Sweet.” Yixing stands up and stuffs his phone, which he has been playing games on to pass the time, into the pocket of his jeans. “Let's get out of here.”

 

~*~

 

A/N:

sulay being gross at the food stall and feeding each other! another new tattoo!! awkward!joonmyun initiating friend things with jongdae for once!!! baby brother jongin (kim jongdae and kim jongin, get it? get it?)!!!! jongin knows yixing????? sulay being gross at the office and going to the tattoo place!!!!!! wowowow what an eventful filler chapter!!!!!!!!!! much filler!!!!!!!!!! such pointless!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

side note: chapter is titled after bangtan's new song because bangtan are ing amazing and that music video ed me up (I am both really excited and really scared for the version of the video, heLP).

smell ya later, nerds! ♥