Do I Know You?

Lost Memories (On Hold)

 

 
"Here's your coffee, sir."
 
"Do I know you?"
 
"Pardon?"
 
"It's nothing. Thanks for the coffee."
 
"Please feel free to ring the bell if you need anything else."
 
"Will do." The other guy smiled.
 
 
 
Do I know you? Of course I don't! What kind of question is that? I slammed the door in disbelief.
 
 
"What's wrong?"
 
"Who does he think he is?"
 
"Who?"
 
"That guy over there." I pointed at the hot-headed jerk.
 
"Soojung-ah, are you for real? You really don't know him?"
 
"I don't have any idea."
 
"Well, for your information, he is a member of Infinite, one of the hottest groups in Korea. They're pretty famous around here." Hyejin unnie smirked.
 
"Who cares if they are? They can't just...um..."
 
"What did he say to make you angry?"
 
"Well, first he acted like an idiot for assuming that I know him after not being able to get his order immediately and second, he even asked, 'Do I know you?'! Who does he think he is? God? I know where I belong!"
 
"Maybe you have encountered him before but you don't remember. His name is Myungsoo. He's a regular costumer here."
 
 
 
Myungsoo? Hmmm...it feels like I've already heard that name somewhere. Maybe Hyejin is right. Maybe he knows me but I don't remember him, but how can an idol know someone like me?
 
 
"Soojung-ah!"
 
"Mianhae, unnie. I was just thinking about what you said."
 
"You said you don't know where your parents are, right?"
 
"Mmm."
 
"Why don't we stop by the police station later? I mean, it won't hurt to ask, right?"
 
"I don't know..."
 
"C'mon, I'll go with you."
 
"If you say so."
 
 

 
 
"Did you see Suzy? She's been texting me all day to ask where you are. Should I tell her we're here?"
 
"Sorry about her, hyung. I know she's being a nuisance to you because of me."
 
"It's not your fault that she likes you."
 
"But it's my fault to keep her hoping when I don't really have any special feelings for her."
 
"You should really tell her. Isn't it unfair if you keep her clinging on to a one-sided love?"
 
"I guess you're right."
 
 
*rrring rrrrring rrring*
 
 
"Speaking of which...yoboseyo?"
 
"Oppa! Why aren't you answering my calls? Do you know how hard it is for me to reach you?"
 
"Sorry, I was busy."
 
"Where are you? I'll be there immediately."
 
"I'm in a coffee shop with Hoya. Still want to come?"
 
"I'm jealous. You spend more time with him than with me."
"Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not gay or anything. There's just some things guys can't share with ladies."
"Fine, you win. Next time, it has to be only the two of us, arrasso?"
 
"Bye."
 
"Take care oppa!"
 
 
 
I sighed and tossed the phone to the other side of the couch. I should be very happy that our nation's first love likes me but I only see her as a friend, nothing more and nothing less.
 
 
"Suzy is really head over heels in love with you, isn't she?"
 
"Yeah." I rolled my eyes. "You make it sound like a bad thing."
 
"It seems bad to me."
 
"Let's get going before she comes barging in and cause a scandal."
 
"You really have your own ways, don't you?"
 
"I can't believe she doesn't understand everything I'm trying to do..."
 
"Tough love is blind, bro."
 
 

 
 
"Unnie, are you sure about this?"
 
"Absolutely. I mean, you want to know what happened right?"
 
"I don't know if I can accept the truth I'm about to discover."
 
"Be brave. Justice has to be served. C'mon, let's go."
 
"Where do you think you're going?"
 
"Um...to the um...to the mall?"
 
"Yah, Lee Hyejin! You promised to look after the shop for 2 more hours today!"
 
"I did? But I have to go with-"
 
"I can take care of myself."
 
"But I want to know what happened too.."
 
"Come here, you brat."
 
"Bye." Hyejin unnie sobbed.
 
 
 
I giggled and waved goodbye to the both of them. Honestly, I feel a little bit nervous and scared to go alone. What if something terribly bad happened? I might faint!
 
 
"I'm so sorry miss!"
 
"Do you know how expensive this dress is?! You can't pay for it even with all your salary in a year combined!"
 
"Mianhae..."
 
"Just get out of my sight!!"
 
 
 
A girl with brown hair in a short red disco dress yelled at me for accidentally bumping into her. There aren't any clubs around here and it's not that late yet, I wonder where she's heading to. Oh well, I gotta get going."
 
 
"How may I help you, miss?"
 
"I'd like to see records of reported car accidents here in Seoul in 1999."
 
"That's some old stuff. I can't promise you anything." The policeman said.
 
"Please give it a try."
 
 
 
The policeman left with a heavy mood and I secretly prayed he would find something. This is my only hope to find out what really happened. Even just the slightest information can mean everything.
 
 
"Here's what we have." He went back with a folder labeled 'Big Car Accidents in 1999'. 
"These are just cuts of newspaper articles back in 1999. It's all we have left."
 
"Thank you very much, sir."
 
 
 
I scanned through the documents and a certain article caught my eye. It happened on the night of October 11, 1999.
 
 
'A car accident has been reported on the night of October 11, 1999 involving 1 eight-wheeler  truck and 2 private vehicles. 4 died, 3 injured (2 minors) and-'
 
 
 
"Hey kitty!"
 
"Gah!"
 
"Where is the payment your brother promised us?"
 
"We heard he ran away."
 
"I have no idea where he went! He took away all my money!"
 
"Come back here!"
 
 
 
I ran as fast as my legs could carry me away from the loan sharks. They're fat men but I tripped and they were able to catch up.
 
 
"Please don't hurt me." 
 
 
They rummaged through my bag and took all my money. They tossed the bag back to me.
 
 
"This will be enough." The other smiled.
 
"We'll be back next month. Your brother didn't pay us for 4 months, you know?" And with that, they walked away.
 
 
 
I went home crying with all my money taken away from me as if I was robbed. I wasn't able to finish reading the article either and I'm all alone.
 
 
 
Why is this happening to me?