Chance Encounter

Lost Memories (On Hold)

 

 
*beep beep beep beep*
 
 
"Aja!"
 
 
I quickly jumped out of bed and turned the alarm off. Perfect, 7:30AM. I rushed to our bathroom and took a shower as quickly as possible. Today is the day I'm going to get my first salary from my new job.
 
 
"Oppa, annyeong haseyo!"
 
"Annyeong haseyo."
 
"What's cooking?"
 
"I didn't cook anything. Just find something for yourself over there. I won't be back till later."
 
"And by later you mean tomorrow?"
 
"Aish, you."
 
"Arrasso. Take care oppa!"
 
"Mmm..." 
 
 
Oppa waved goodbye and off to his job. If drinking is a job, he should already be a boss by now. What can I do? He's the only family I have left.
 
 
I opened the fridge and it was nearly empty. Only a pitcher of water, a slice of bread and a can of sardines were left. That pabo. I broke the bread into two and gulped down a glass of water. That should do the trick. If I eat the sardines now, I won't be having dinner later.
 
 
I rode my bike to the cafe which is only a few blocks away. I opened the door and there in front of me was a complete disaster. Tables and chairs were knocked off and poor ahjumma was crying. I quickly ran towards her.
 
 
"Ahjumma! What happened here?"
 
"Our boss doesn't believe me." She stuttered and was shaking in fear.
 
"Take a deep breath and tell me what happened."
 
"We got robbed and some VIPs have booked our cafe for the whole afternoon. Everything's a disaster and she's blaming me for all this mess. She even called me a thief!"
 
"I believe you, ahjumma. What time will the VIPs arrive?"
 
"Mrs. Seo said that the whole place should be ready by 3PM."
 
"Well, we still have time right?" I glanced at my old watch hanging from my wrist."It's still 9AM."
 
"Soojung dear, with all this mess? I'll never be able to clean is alone." Ahjumma sighed.
 
"Who said you are going to clean all these up alone?" I smiled.
 
"Thank you so much, my dear. I don't know what to do without you."
 
"It's in my nature to help anybody in need, I guess."
 
 
Wash here, mop there, ahjumma and I did everything we could to fix the mess as quickly as possible. It's been a month since I started working here and I really like the uniform. Ahjumma is the cook while Mrs. Seo is the owner of this cafe.
 
 
It's already 2:30PM and we're off to set the tables. I haven't had lunch yet but I'm used to it. People who can eat 3 full meals a day are lucky enough in life. They don't know how it feels to starve.
 
 
The clock strike 3 and the guests started to come in. We welcomed them whole-heartedly with out best smile and they complimented ahjumma on how good the food is. Most of them are businessmen. 
 
 
"Soojung-ah! Give these glasses to table 3." Ahjumma called as she handed a tray with 4 wine glasses filled with 7 year old red liquid.
 
"Arrasso."
 
 
I held the tray in one hand and walked gracefully. My heels felt uncomfortable and before I could notice it...
 
 
"Aah!"
 
 
I tripped over the power line and the laptop that was used for a presentation shut down. The wine glasses fell to the floor and the wine landed on a guest's expensive-looking suit. The worst part is the door opened revealing Mrs. Seo when everything happened.
 
 
"Mianhae..." I grabbed some tissue and wiped the mister's suit.
 
"Get out!" Mrs. Seo shouted.
 
"I'm sorry Mrs. Seo. I'm very sorry." I knelt in front of Mrs. Seo. "I promise this won't happen again."
 
"Soojung dear, surely this won't happen again because you are FIRED!"
 
"Please give me one more chance..."
 
"Get out!" Mrs. Seo shouted and dragged me out of the cafe.
 
 
Where am I to go now? Even if I go home, oppa's not yet back. It's a miracle when he comes home early. I cried to myself and walked around the busy streets with nowhere to go. I opened my purse and rummaged through my pocket but there was nothing, not even a penny. My bike couldn't take me anywhere with a flat tire.
 
 
I decided to walk my way home. Many people who passed me by eyed me with stupid expressions but I couldn't care less. It took an hour before I finally reached home (which looked more like a shack).
 
 
I opened the drawer of our cabinet where I kept my savings. I put a thousand won in it everyday in case of emergency. To my surprise, it was empty. I searched thoroughly but all my money was gone. I found a letter lying on my bed and opened it immediately.
 
 
To Soojung dongsaeng,
 
I'm leaving Seoul to start a new life. I also took your money for a start. I'm sure you'll do well on your own, you never needed me anyway. Don't search for me.
 
Your oppa
 
 
I fell to the floor at his words. My heart sank so low, I felt the need to pick it up. I lost my job, I lost my money and I lost my brother. I've been kind to all the people around me, what have I done to deserve this? I don't even remember who I was before. Why does this happen to me?
 
 

 
 
"That's a wrap! Good job everybody!"
 
 
"Congrats on the shoot, you guys did well." Hyung tapped me on the shoulder.
 
"Oppa, this wouldn't be possible without Myungsoo oppa's hard work." Suzy clung on to my shoulder and I took her hand off mine.
 
"Thanks hyung. I watched your shoot too, it was pretty good."
 
"Aish, you don't have to compliment me." Hoya winked at Suzy. "See you."
 
"I'll get going."
 
"Oppa!"
 
"Aren't you going to join me for dinner?" Suzy pouted.
 
"Suzy, you should've went out with Hoya instead. You know your aegyo doesn't work on me." I raised my hands up and headed towards the exit.
 
 
I'm tired, I'm hungry and I'm very sleepy. The photoshoot took really long thanks to Suzy's efforts. She tried every single way to delay the shoot just to be with me. She's beautiful and all that but...
 
 
"Were are you going this time? Club? Party?" My chauffeur asked, leaning on the car.
 
"Why are you here?"
 
"Your omma sent me."
 
"Aish. Next time, tell omma I'm not a kid anymore."
 
"Believe me sir, I tried."
 
 
I went inside and threw myself on the back seat. I turned my phone on and put my earphones on my ears, closing my eyes. I have to get some sleep.
 
 
*beeeeeeep!*
 
 
What the-
 
 
I climbed out of the car to see what happened. Another girl who pretends that my car hit her. Does she seriously think this would work?
 
 
"She seems to be in pain."
 
"Leave her. This is one fangirl act yet again."
 
"I don't think so, young master. Seems like her shoulder got hit badly."
 
"What do you want me to do? Kiss her?"
 
"Just help me carry her. We're bringing her to the hospital."
 
"Fine."
 
 
I helped my chauffeur carry the girl. She wasn't heavy at all and I'll take my words back, she really seems to be hurt. I took a closer look at her and her long eyelashes complimented her black hair and white skin.
 
 
We drove to the hospital and she was brought to the emergency room while I waited inside the car. As a star, I can't let the public see me in here.
 
 
I know this is quite crazy but she looks so familiar, I feel like I have already seen her before. There's this strange feeling towards her that I've never felt before.
 
 
"I have already sent her in. Are you ready to go?"
 
"Mmm..." I nodded.
 
 
The ride was silent and I tried to catch even just a little sleep but that mysterious girl's face never left my mind. What am I doing?
 
 
"What do you call the strange feeling when your heart beats so fast when you see someone?"
 
"Love perhaps?" He looked at me with piercing eyes through the mirror.
 
"Is it possible to feel that for someone you just saw?"
 
"You are really that clueless about love, aren't you?"
 
"Yah, answer me."
 
"She could be someone you have already known before or it could be love at first sight but that's for you to find out, master."
 
 
I'm confused but...that's what I felt. I feel like I've known her for so long when I just saw her. It feels like the gap in my heart got filled when I saw her but was emptied again when she left.