Home.

In the End...

They were in the middle of their first year in Junior High, when Yifan first brought her home.

       Wu Yifan had always loved his Grandmother more than anybody in the world. She had raised him in the place of his nonexistent parents.

He knew nothing of his parents, he only knew that his mother was very young when he was born and that she ran away with his Father without bringing Yifan.

Since then, Yifan's grandmother was all he had.

The smell of a home cooked meal filled the air of the small house and rafted to Yifan's bedroom. It was getting cramped in his room, with his studies getting harder and he was getting incredibly tall. Yifan sat at his small wooden desk, almost confined in the low desk that met with his knees.

"Yifan-ah~ your food is done~!" His Grandmother's voice chimed and floated to his room. He looked up at the door that he left ajar and then looked down at his papers that were due in less than 24 hours.

Oh forget it; he thought.

He pushed out of his chair and shuffled the papers till they were in a neat pile on the corner of his desk. His grandmother always told him to be neat and tidy when it came to his schoolwork, and he always wished to make her proud, so he listened.

Yifan ducked as he went out of his room, trying hard not to his hit his head (or any other body parts) on the doorframe. His house had a low roof, and it was troublesome for someone of his size. But Wu Yifan didn't mind.

"What are we having today?" He asked as he stepped into the small kitchen. His grandmother was a bit short and still had a vibrant look in her eyes and hair that Yifan appreciated. She had a kind and happy smile that would make Yifan happy just by seeing it. She wasn't very old when he was born, but Yifan can sometimes see silver lines in her lovely black hair.

"Your least favorite food." She said, placing down plates onto their traditional dinner table. Yifan looked at the food curiously and just let out a content sigh. It was not Yifan's most feared food, but a pleasant sweet dish instead. His Grandmother gave him a amused look before continuing her job, setting the dishes down.

"It'll help you sleep easier and it's good to stop eating fast food all the time." She explained. Yifan sat, and looked down at the steaming food with a look of desire. He loved eating homecooked meals, especially if his Grandmother made it. Even if she made his least favorite food.

"How is school?" She asked quietly as she sat in the space in front of him. Yifan waited until she picked up her chopsticks to begin eating.

"It's fine." Yifan simply answered back, like he's done everytime she's asked the same question.

"And how is Miyoung?" She asked.

Yifan was not particularly surprised she asked but every time Miyoung was mentioned, he could not help himself from being a little taken back.

"She.. She's fine too."

In fact, Miyoung was still the same as she was in grade school. 

She was still the high spirited girl that Yifan knew in elementary. She's grown, just like he had, but they were still young.

At the ripe age of 12, she still seemed childish at heart. She had grown her hair out and it reached just above her waist. It had been long when she was younger but Yifan thinks she just refused to cut it.
Her bright eyes were still the same, and it sparkled with excitement every time she had something to tell Yifan, who just listened calmly.
They were seen together a lot, people had to notice, but she was the one who created most of the conversations because of course Yifan was the quieter one.
She was a natural beauty, Yifan would never say it out loud, and she went around bare faced instead of wearing makeup because she claimed it was bad for the skin. 
Miyoung was getting popular, among both girls and boys, but she never failed to waste time talking to Yifan about all the things she thought of.
Now that Yifan thought about it, the only person who she talked to that much was Yifan.


"When are you going to let me meet her?" His grandma asked, her eyes not leaving her food as she poked at it with her fork.

"...Uhh.."

When his grandma sent him a sharp look, he just scratched at his neck. When he was younger, and even now, the person who he spoke a lot to  (excluding Miyoung) was his Grandmother. He used to tell his Grandmother about Miyoung, and how they had somehow became friends, so hearing about Miyoung was a regular thing in the quiet household. But not once has his Grandmother met the energetic girl that child Yifan spoke about.

"... Did you want to meet her?" Yifan asked, as he fiddled with his fingers in between the metal chopsticks he held. His Grandmother eyed him for awhile before she stabbed at her food, and put it in .

"Of course. Why wouldn't I?" She shot back.

"Okay." Was all he said.

Later that night, as he laid back on his bed that was much too small for him, he thought about when he wanted Miyoung to come over. It had never occurred to him to invite her over, and he only remembered Miyoung asking him to come to her house once, but he didn't go. Were they close enough friends to be inviting each other over?

In the end, and many long minutes after his curfew, Yifan decided to ask her tomorrow.

~~~

Yifan had forgotten about his work in the morning, and ended up doing it when he got up for breakfast. His Grandmother was still asleep in bed, and he pecked her on the forehead before he left for school. It was his habit since he was a little boy, and he never intended to stop doing it. He would feel bothered if he ever forgot.

The walk to school felt a little chilly, but Yifan didn't let the wind bother him. He shivered once in his jacket, but continued to walk in the early morning weather. He passed a few early risers, mostly adults on their way to work, and he passed some people who were also on their way to school.

He would've said hi, maybe, if he had known anybody, but unfortunately he didn't.

Yifan saw the sun slowly rise above bulidings as he neared his school, and he passed by the tired looking students that looked as if they would rather be anywhere else than school.

As Yifan was about to enter the school building, he heard a very loud car screech it's way into the school parking lot. The noise caused him to turn around and see a bright blue car skid to a halt. He knew that car all too well.

"Good morning Wu Yifan!" A voice shouted as the backseat door flung open and a messy looking Miyoung jumped out. She turned to the car and bent forward to speak to the driver, which Yifan assumed was her father based on what he saw from afar.

"Ah, it looks like I wasn't late to school after all Daddy.. I'll see you later~" She laughed as she closed the door. She waved as the car's engine roared, and began to start moving. Yifan saw a hand appear in the window, waving at him. Yifan didn't have the time to wave back.

Miyoung made her way to Yifan, who was rooted to the spot since he had seen the car. Her hair was puffy and messy, as if she hadn't brushed it, and her clothes were awkwardly buttoned or backwards.

"Oh gosh, I'm a mess.." She mumbled as she took the space next to him. Yifan only watched as she began composing herself to look more decent.

"I forgot to change my alarm clock and it said I was an hour late, so I rushed here." She said as she began tying the school's mandatory tie on the collar of her neck. Yifan only grunted quietly in response as his eyes roamed to the sky.

"Yifan, could you hold this?" Miyoung asked him as she passes him her bookbag. He threw the sparkly bag over his shoulder in a rather cool way before waiting for her to finish. She wrapped her hair into a messy bun and then wiped at her clothes as if there was dirt on it.

"There." She sighed. Miyoung opened her hand toward him and he immediatly gave her back her bag. "Thanks Yifan."

"You're welcome." He said quietly.

When they had finished their walk into class, Miyoung began talking about a concert she wanted to go to. Yifan couldn't quite remember what band she was talking about, but she was very happy. Yifan nodded along as she continued to talk in her non-stop chatter that most people probably would not withstand, and the next thing Yifan knew, the school day was almost over.

Miyoung literally had the power to talk until an entire day passed by.

"Wu Yifan," She called him as she pointed to the ladybug on the window sill next to her desk. Yifan did not look up as he remained still in the desk next to her. He hummed in response, letting her know he was listening.

"Do you know that there's a full moon soon?" She asked. Yifan laughed softly as she looked at him. Yifan remembered she had once asked him that during grade school.

"Why are you laughing?" She said as she pouted. Yifan just shook his head in amusement.

"Aren't you going to say something like 'The wolves will come out'?"

"How'd you know I was going to say that?" Miyoung asked, tilting her head in that childish way she always seemed to do.

"Because I know you."

Miyoung was silent for a moment before she turned back to the window, to find that the lady bug she was pointing at had flown away. She pouted and tapped the window angrily. She was unusually quiet today... maybe she had run of things to talk about?

When Yifan looked at the clock, and noticed they only had a few minutes before they could be let out, he thought of what his Grandmother told him yesterday. He had forgotten about  it and now he slapped his forehead in punishment. Miyoung instantly turned to him with a worried look.

"What's wrong Yifan? Did you forget something?" She asked. Yifan shook his head in a nod before turning to her. Her eyes were bright and filled with curiousity as she waited for him to tell her just what exactly he had forgotten. He sighed before running a hand through his matted hair.

"..Well.. I had a question to ask you.." He said quietly. Miyoung kept staring at him. "M-My Grandma.. S-She... She wanted to.."

Yifan found him stammering and stuttering as he tried to say the right words. It was supposed to be a simple question but somehow Yifan felt his heart beating fast, as if he had been running. Asking a question wasn't supposed to make you feel like this.

"Your Grandma wanted to..?' Miyoung repeated, and Yifan began sweating.

Just ask her!

"Mygrandmawantedmetoaskifyouwantedtocomeover."

The brunette stared at the boy with wide eyes as he said it in one short breath, before cracking open a smile and laughing. Her eyes were shimmering when she finally opened them to look at Yifan again.

"Calm down Yifan." She chuckled as she leaned on his arm for a split second. "Of course, I would love to! But is this Friday okay with you?"

Yifan only managed to nod his head.

~~~

Friday seemed to far but came to fast for Yifan. He sat upright in his bed an hour before his alarm clock, and began getting ready for school. He was up before dawn, but he didn't care.

He kissed his grandma on the forehead, and left her note reminding her about their guest later that day. His grandmother wouldn't be quiet about meeting Miyoung for the entire week, that Yifan dreaded and looked forward to Friday.

Miyoung was not any different and had asked Yifan what his Grandmother was like and if he was sure that she'd like her. Yifan was very sure his Grandmother would grow fond of Miyoung, but of course he never told Miyoung that.

"Good morning Yifan~" A voice chirped as he was entering the school building. Wrapped in a thin scarf, Miyoung stood with her bag in her hands. Yifan smiled slightly at her and she did the same.

"Yifan, I'm very excited to meet her today." She said as she began walking with Yifan at his side. Yifan just nodded, because he already knew. "Just walk me to your house, and then my parents will pick me up from there okay?"

Yifan said okay, and he felt excitement run through his veins as the day drew on.

When the final bell rang, indicating it was now time to go home, Yifan did the usual.

He walked home.

But this time, Miyoung was at his side, swinging her bag in her hands playfully. She was talking about something again, Yifan was only half thinking as he thought of all the weird stuff his Grandmother might say to Miyoung about himself.

He shouldn't be worried; he told himself.

"Hey, do you remember when we were little, I saw you here?" Miyoung asked, as they scrolled through that one street where Miyoung had caught Yifan going home when they were younger. Yifan nodded. He could never forget.

"You were touching these leaves." She added as she tippytoed to reach the branches above her head. Yifan just laughed and reached up to easily touch the trees. She pouted adorably before punching him softly in the arm. "You're lucky you're tall."

"Maybe." He simply said back. He reached up when he saw a particular tree with beautiful colored flowers on it and tugged one off. In his hand was a baby pink flower that was tinted white. Yifan turned to Miyoung and handed it to her.

Yifan had no idea why he did something like that, but he felt like that was what he was supposed to do. He sheepishly smiled as she thanked him and tucked it in her hair. Yifan reminded himself to get one for his Grandmother on the way back.

When the two had finally reached Yifan's house, Yifan's Grandmother was out, tending to the laundry that lay on a string and swung with the wind.

"Oh, you guys are here!" She squealed, in a voice Yifan has only heard during his most "special occasions".

"I'm home, and I brought Miyoung." He announced. He gave his grandma a look as she gushed over Miyoung, who only blushed and waved shyly. Yifan only laughed to himself because he knows the Miyoung he knows is not the least bit shy.

"I have dinner set out already, so please come in Miyoung!" She said as she ushered the two kids in. Miyoung stood around awkwardly, and Yifan found it amusing to see her like that. He had always been the awkward one, and it was almost incrediable to see her out of her own comfort zone.

"Wash up, and then we'll eat okay?" Yifan's Grandmother said as she left the two in the tiny kitchen. Yifan started to turn on the sink until Miyoung attached herself to his side.

"This is okay right? I don't know what to say Yifan!" She asked, she looked troubled but Yifan only gave her an assuring look.

"Since when have you run out of things to say? Just be normal." Yifan mused, earning himself a glare and a soft punch on the shoulder. Yifan grabber her wrists and rinsed it underneath the running water. "My Grandma isn't strict so you don't need to act special or anything. Just act as if you're just with me."

Yifan meant to say those words to calm her, and it seemed to. Miyoung's facial expression visibly eased and she sighed softly.

"...Right.. It's just I'm not sure if she'll like me."

Yifan only smiled. "She'll love you, so don't worry about it."

And even at the age of twelve, Miyoung knew she had to make sure to be on her best behavior. She wouldn't want Yifan's Grandmother to hate her, that'll just break her friendship with Yifan. Miyoung loved being Yifan's friend and she wouldn't know what to do if Yifan suddenly didn't want to be friends with her because of tonight.

So, Miyoung vowed she would be best she's ever been.

~~~

Yifan was upset his Grandmother did the worst thing he could have possibly imagine. She showed Miyoung his old baby pictures as a joke and left Yifan fuming during dinner. Miyoung on the other hand laughed and promised to use it for revenge, but of course Yifan knew she would never do such a thing.

His Grandmother seemed very very happy that night, because she was smiling the whole time. Yifan could not understand why bringing over a friend was such a big milestone, but Yifan didn't ask. He enjoyed his Grandmother and Miyoung chatting amongst themselves about whatever girls seemed to talk about, and he enjoyed seeing them smile.

It was obviously different than any other day, which Yifan still could not understand but he was still happy at the very end of the day.

The male was sitting at the couch with Miyoung when he was lazily flipping tv channels to something maybe she and him could both watch. In the kitchen, he could hear his Grandmother finishing the dishes, even when he and Miyoung offered to wash it. She just ushered them out and made them sit in the living room together.

Night had fallen and Yifan felt very tired but he didn't want to ruin such a nice day by falling asleep so he forcd his eyes open to stare blankly at the tv screen. He opened his mouth to say something to Miyoung.

"Miyoung, how was today? I hope my Grandma doesn't scare you." He joked, as he clicked at the remote control. He heard the girl next to him laugh quietly.

"No, actually. She makes me feel quite at home."

Yifan grinned before turning to her.

"Yeah, I feel quite at home too."

=====

A/N

omg this was a long chapter to write and its boring isnt it >.< im sorry. I had so many ideas to put in it but deleted it because i plan to use it later in the story. This is a little bit of their interaction, and I hope you guys are enjoying the story.

Please subscribe and comment <3 I'll be very thankful for any thought you may have.

See you in the next chapter ~