In the Summer.

In the End...

Wu Yifan was only a child when he met her.

      It had been one of those breezy summer days where the trees swayed freely. He liked learning and being outside at the time, so there he sat reading a book about animals. Yifan sat underneath a large cherry blossom tree in his small neighborhood's park. He felt safe and protected with the shade that was shielding him from the warm sun.

It was almost fall, where kids would muster up the last days of summer before school started.

Chatter and excited screams emitted from the playground where children, mostly Yifan's age, were clambering over and under colorful metal bars and toys.

Yifan never really liked a lot of noise or being surrounded by a lot of people, so he sat rather far away from all the other children. The soft wind swept in front of Yifan's face, causing his pages to fly up and waver. He frowned as he tried to keep his pages together, but only sighed after figuring he couldn't fight the wind.

He had closed his book after the defeat, and leaned against the tree. The breeze blew at him again and he smiled. When the wind wasn't blowing harshly at the pages of his reading books, he liked hearing the rustle of leaves above his head and the soothing sound of people laughing happily in the distance.

Yifan had his eyes closed for a long time, and hadn't noticed the little scamper of footsteps coming to greet him.

"Hey, are you sleeping?" A premature, high pitched voice asked him. Yifan immediately opened his eyes in surprise. A girl, about his age, with sparkly brown eyes stared down at him with a look of curiosity.

"Oh? You're not sleeping?" She said, head tilting.

"No." Yifan answered, quite surprised with her approach.

"You're just relaxing then?" She asked. "May I sit here with you?"

Though Yifan was uncomfortable with strangers, he still nodded so he didn't seem rude. She plopped down on the dirt, not minding her sparkly dress would get dirty. Yifan shifted away from her, still wary about the stranger.

"What are you reading?" She asked, pointing to the book in Yifan's lap. "All About Animals." She read out loud. "What's your favorite animal? Mine's a giraffe."

Yifan had no idea why she asked so many questions or why she was even talking to him, but he answered anyway.

"A wolf."

She nodded, bringing her knees to her chest. Yifan awkwardly sat twiddling his thumbs. He looked around, looking for maybe her parents or any body who might be looking for her but all he saw were other families.

"Where are your parents?" He asked, turning to her. She looked to him with her shining eyes.

"They'll be here soon. They went to buy me ice cream." The brunette explained, leaning against the tree just like Yifan had before she had come. "Where are yours?" She asked back. Yifan stared down at his fingers, unable to figure out what he should say to the person he's never met.

"I...I'm actually here with my grandma." Yifan said after a moment of thinking. "I live really close to here so I can go home whenever I want."

The girl nodded again, then silence fell upon them.

Yifan didn't know how but the silence was strangely very comfortable, but of course he still felt umcomfortable and awkward.

"By the way... I didn't ask for your name." She pointed out, looking at him with an expectant look. Yifan was hesitant to answer.

"Wu... Wu Yifan." He said quietly.

"That sounds hard to say." She said, looking at her knees. Yifan gave her a minute to pronouce his name. She opened to mumble the syllables to herself. Yifan found it funny: the way she tried saying his name. The boy smiled subconciously before closing his eyes and leaning against the tree. She continued mumbling until she finally shouted, "Yifan! Wu Yifan!"

Yifan chuckled softly and opened his eyes to smile at the girl. She was smiling back at him with gleaming teeth.

At that moment, a young couple came near, calling worriedly for someone.

"Where are you!?"

They shouted a few times before the girl stood up and waved them over.

"Don't go other places when we said to stay there; look your ice cream is melting." The woman said in a motherly tone as she neared. Yifan grew more awkward when the girl turned to him.

"I met a friend!" She explained, and pointed. "His name is Wu Yifan!"

The young couple stared at him and all he did was blush. Before he could get anymore embarrassed by the girl who began chattering about him, he quickly stood up to bow, respectably.

"Well it's nice to meet you, Wu Yifan." The woman said with a kind smile that resembled the little girl's. She turned to the girl. "We have to go, so you should tell him good-bye."

Yifan watched as the girl turned to him slowly while smiling.

"Good bye Wu Yifan." She simply said and waved. Yifan couldn't reply back fast enough as she turned to leave. Her parents gave Yifan quick, kind smiles and then disappeared around the corner of the playground. Yifan sat back down and thought about what just happened, then it occurred to him: she had asked for his name but he did not ask for hers.

And as if the girl knew exactly what he was thinking, Yifan saw her come back running.

"Wu Yifan!" She panted as she stood before him. "I forgot to tell you.." She said, her bright eyes staring at him.

"My name is Miyoung!"

 

 

 

=====

(A/N)

Yay for first chapters~!

I hope you will enjoy this fic and see it till the end <3

Comment, subscribe, and upvote if you like ;)

See you in the next chapter~