Don't Frown.

In the End...

It was the first day of school when Wu Yifan saw her again.

        She stood in front of his grade school class, smiling widely and brightly.

Yifan was sitting in the back corner of his classroom, watching as the teacher introduced Miyoung as a new student. He watched with surprise and interest, at the girl he had met at the park. He blushed a shade of red as Miyoung caught his gaze even among everyone in the classroom.

"Wu Yifan!" She shouted, stumbling toward him. Yifan quickly considered running away, but his legs remained on the spot. 

She embraced him, like they had been friends forever but in actuality they've met once for about ten minutes.

Wu Yifan could barely hide his blush as she was crushed in between her arms, in front of everyone.

When she pulled back, she just have him a wide smile and he could only say it resembled the sun.

"Teacher!" Miyoung shouted as she still held Yifan with her small hands, "I have to sit here with Wu Yifan."

And when the teacher asked her why, she simply said,

"Because he's my friend."

~~~

Yifan focused on his white sheet of paper with his eyebrows furrowed and his lips pursed in concentration. He held a sharp pencil in his little hand, wondering what he should draw next.

"What are you drawing Wu Yifan?" A voice asked him. He knew the voice already, and did not look up as the person sat next to him.

"An egg and a duck." Yifan replied. 

"... But... Ducks don't have four legs." 

Yifan turned to Miyoung, only to see her looking at his paper with a smile.

"Is that a snowman?" She asked, pointing to a deformed stack of circles, which was supposed to be a carton of eggs.

The boy was offended and just frowned.

"No, it's not."

Miyoung only made an 'o' with her lips before she looked up at him.

"I think your drawings aren't very pretty, but I like them very much." 

Though that was an insult and a compliment at the same time, Yifan felt dissatisfied.

What did she know about being an artist anyway?

"Yifan, stop frowning." 

The boy was startled as she said that, and his eyes only widened when she leaned very close to his face and dragged her small fingers by his cheeks. He felt her nails dig into his skin as she pulled his skin upwards, into a forced smile.

"Don't frown, it doesn't look nice on you." She said, smiling at him in return. Before he could protest and ignore how hot his cheeks were burning, the teacher suddenly called Miyoung for something. She gave him a cheeky smile before waving and walking toward the awaiting teacher.

~~~

Yifan was always quiet, and barely spoke a word during school. Miyoung accompanied him mostly, and barely gave him time to go meet other people. She didn't notice of course, and just spent her time talking to him about everything.

The way she spoke was much different than most people, as she talked randomly, as if there wasn't enough things on the planet to talk about. She started with something simple and the longer she spoke, the more ideas would pop into her head. She spoke of this and that, in a endless cycle of words, that Yifan sometimes wondered what she meant by all of them.

The boy would not say he hated her endless talking, but he casually enjoyed it. Her voice was premature and high pitched but not annoying. She sang sometimes, and Yifan didn't mind her being off key. As she talked and sang, he would be listening, though it might not have seemed like it. He replied when neccessary, he was polite like that, and he went along with whatever she wanted.

One day, he was walking home from school like he did everyday, and it was not so busy. His school released students a little bit later than most, and thus he wasn't with the mesh of people during the busy hours of the afternoon. His Grandmother did not have a car or enough strength to come pick him up like she had when he was younger, but Yifan didn't mind. He liked being by himself anyway.

Yifan was just taking the usual route to his house, which was on a calm street that connected small neighborhoods together. Occasionally there would be another student from a different school, but today Yifan was by himself.

Yifan was tall for his age, and sometimes he could touch the overgrowing plants that draped over people's fences and walls and onto the street. There'd be seasonal fruit too, if Yifan bothered to look for any. He had one time taken an apple home to show his grandmother, but she ordered him to return it to the rightful owner (the owner had laughed and asked him to keep it).

Now, the trees were covered in ever-changing leaves, that rustled with the strong breeze, so there would be no fruit to pick, but Yifan still grazed his fingers on the leaves he could reach. He liked the loud rustling that the leaves made as he did this, and he had not heard the upcoming car that was coming his way.

It was a bright blue car, Yifan didn't know the specific name, and it stopped abruptly a little ahead of him. Yifan looked through the window to see two people stare at him, and he could vaguely remember them. Then, a third head popped into view.

Miyoung, popped her head out the window.

"Hey Wu Yifan!" She squealed. The said boy was slow to register what was happening and he slowly crept closer to the car, and closer to Miyoung's backseat car window.

"What are you doing here Yifan?" She asked, covering her eyes from the sunlight that was shining directly in her direction.

"Walking home." He answered, before looking at Miyoung's parents that were staring at him. He bowed, just like he had done before the first time he had met them. "Hello, it's nice to see you again."

"It's nice to see you again too Yifan." Miyoung's father said, as he rolled down his window. They smiled at him, just like the first time, and he could only offer a attempted smile back. When he turned back to Miyoung, he let his lips fall into a thin line. He watched as Miyoung pouted and pointed at his lips.

"Don't frown, Yifan."

And just like she had done when he was drawing, she put her two pointer fingers to his cheeks and forced the skin up. He didn't smile, but only blushed at her wild madness about him frowning. So instead he just nodded.

"Alright, alright.."

"Where do you need to be Yifan? Do you need a drive home?" Miyoung's mother asked. Yifan looked around, he had forgotten where he was for a moment before shaking his head. He knew where his house was, and he actually didn't feel comfortable in taking rides with other people, even if he's already met them once.

"No, I'm fine Ma'am." He said politely.

Miyoung's parents seemed to know that Miyoung would start talking without end if they didn't take their leave, so they said their farewells to Yifan. Yifan stood a few feet from the car as they started rolling up the windows, but Miyoung kept hers open.

"Good bye Yifan!" She shouted. "Don't forget; don't frown!"

Her arm was out of the window, waving frantically and continously until the car started to drive away from Yifan. He still saw her small hand until the bright car rounded the corner and disappeared into a different street. Her shout seemed to echo in the air, and traveled to ring in Yifan's ears.

Don't frown!

Yifan found himself smiling softly.

=====

A/N

So what I planned for this fanfic, was it is going to be long in chapters and in general, but I'm not so sure. I hope you are enjoying this, and please give your love by commenting, subscribing, and possibly upvoting. Thank you so much and see you soon in the next update <3