THREE

LOVE SICK...

Seohyun was thinking so much these days. She still remembered what Jungshin said to her. He was right. There was no point to avoid her true feeling. It happened after all.

Just be honest, Seohyun-ahh! Fighting! Seohyun told to herself.

She heard her phone vibrate, indicated that Minhyuk already in front of her gate.

Tonight was Soojung birthday party. Such a good opportunity for Seohyun to try being honest. She would not avoid Jung Yonghwa again. She needed to be braver.

She decided to just face the reality. She was falling in love with him. So what?

If he didn’t feel the same as her, it didn’t matter. She just needed to show him her true feeling. Like what people said that love is unconditional commitment. Love was about to give.

If they were mean for each other, so let it be. If they weren’t mean to be, so it was a destiny.

Seohyun entered the ballroom five star hotel in Seoul, where Soojung held her birthday party.

“Seohyun-ahh!” Soojung approached them first.

“Ohh Soojung-ahh. Happy birthday!” Seohyun replied as she hugged her warmly. “Ohh, meet my best friend, Kang Minhyuk. Minhyuk-ahh, this is Jung Soojung.” Seohyun introduced them but suddenly she caught the change of Minhyuk’s expression. Does he like her?

“Ohh best friend? I thought he is your boyfriend,” Soojung said innocently and succeed make Minhyuk chocked.

“Ani~ he’s just being nice to accompany me tonight. We’re just best friend.” Seohyun stated as she emphasized her last sentence and took a glance at Minhyuk.

“Ohh oke then. Please enjoy the night. See you, Minhyuk-ssi.” Soojung said again, but she looked little bit blush when she glanced at Minhyuk.

Minhyuk realized that Seohyun held her laughed.

“I’ll get the drink.” He told awkwardly before Seohyun laughed in the end

Seohyun looked around, tried to find someone. Jung Yonghwa. It was his sister birthday, he should be here.

Finally she spotted Jonghyun who talked with...Jung Yonghwa, finally.

Yonghwa caught her presence and they looked at each other for a while. He looked slightly surprised, but suddenly he turned away.

THUMP!

Did he just...turned away? Seohyun shocked with his sudden coldness.

“Joohyun-ahh!” she heard Jonghyun called as he waved to her.

But Seohyun couldn’t feel the ground. She just stuck there, too surprised to reply her brother call.

She needed several minutes to back to her sense and encourage herself to join them.

As she predicted, Yonghwa totally ignored her. He acted as he didn’t see her at all. And nobody realized it.

Seohyun took a deep breath, tried to calm herself, even though she really wanted to cry.

And suddenly Park Shinhye appeared.

Seohyun could see the change of Yonghwa’s expression. He looked obviously irritated. But he didn’t say anything. When Park Shinhye pulled his hands to dance, he didn’t refuse it.

Seohyun felt her heart clenched. It terribly hurt. The fact Yonghwa just ignored her presence, when she finally tried to be brave, was really stabbed her deeply. Look how he obviously flirting with his so called ‘good friend’, was not helping at all. It was killing her inside.

Seohyun blinked as really took a very deep breath and turned away, but she caught Jonghyun stared at her. Seohyun’s heart beat so crazily. The way he looked, Seohyun knew that her brother realized it too. Her stupid feeling.

But Jonghyun was indeed her brother. He didn’t say anything. And Seohyun felt so grateful for it.

“Just tell me if you wanna go home,” he said calmly as he stood up. Leave Seohyun alone.

 

That night, Seohyun cried so much. She felt so broken heart. She felt so stupid all this time. She knew that Yonghwa never love her as a woman. He just cared to her.

She tried to recall what had happened. Jung Yonghwa came back after 14 years, never changed, but he suddenly messed her mind. Seohyun realized that it was not Yonghwa’s fault. It was not her fault too. It just happened. And she should accept the fact that Yonghwa didn’t have same feeling as her. It was her who needed to move on.

But it became worse in the next morning, when the news about Jung Yonghwa dating Park Shinhye was spread to all portal news. They spotted together several times in the party. Seohyun knew it well because she attended the same party and the dating rumor was not true, but she hated the fact Yonghwa didn’t deny it. He just let the news spread.

“So, uri Joohyun is not dating Jung Yonghwa? Too bad, I like him.”

Seohyun could hear her father said to her mother. But they stopped their conversation right after Seohyun joined with them.

“Why do you need to go to Campus? You’re graduated already.” Jonghyun asked as Seohyun entered his car.

“Ohh, I need to find some information about something.” Seohyun replied calmly.

“Information? About what? Scholarships?” Jonghyun asked again. But it seemed that his guess was right because Seohyun looked surprised for a while.

“You said that you’ll find a job first before you decide to get your Master.” Jonghyun stated as he started to drive. “Don’t be like this, Joohyun-ahh. Don’t running away. I don’t remember I have a coward sister.” Jonghyun sounded disappoint. But Seohyun didn’t say anything.

That was true that Seohyun was broken heart. But she didn’t mean to run away. She decided to get her Master first and changed her plan because she needed to rearrange her heart. It might be stupid, but she was totally falling in love, deeply, to Jung Yonghwa. Her situation was like she’s being rejected before she confesses. But she wouldn’t fall too long, she needed to get up.

***

Yonghwa’s POV

Knock! Knock!

He heard his door being knocked and saw Jonghyun entered his office room.

“Yeah, what’s up, John?” Yonghwa asked as he still typed something on her laptop.

“I thought you’re free tonight.” Jonghyun stated as he sat on the couch.

“Yes, I am.” He chuckled and then walked towards his friend and sat in front of him. “What happen?”

“I thought you know my occasion here.” Jonghyun replied calmly.

“Know...what?” Yonghwa was puzzled for a while, before he realized it. “Ohh...that.”

“I’m here as your friend, not as Joohyun’s brother.” Jonghyun started to talk. “I know you care for her. But it seems that she took your caring in a wrong way...”

“Don’t talk like that...” Yonghwa cut off. “Love never wrongs, I believe that.” He added quietly.

“And then?” Jonghyun asked to the point.

Yonghwa took a deep breath before said, “Ottoke...?”

Jonghyun surprised by Yonghwa sudden question. He looked obviously desperate.

“W – what? I thought you...”

“I used to see her as a little sister, that was true. But it happened, Jonghyun-ahh, without I realized it.” Yonghwa decided to just tell his own feeling.  There was no point to lie to him. Jonghyun always knew in the end. “I care for her, that is definitely true, but it grow more then a care. I didn’t realized it jinjja. Until that day. When I saw her at the wedding party.”

“What? You’re at the wedding party together?” Jonghyun shocked.

“Yes, and since then I realized my true feeling. But at that time, I thought that I couldn’t let her know my feeling. So I decided to just watch over her from a far.” Yonghwa added. “I don’t know that she has a same feeling as me.”

After that, they were silent. It seemed that Jonghyun needed more times to absorb this sudden fact between his sister and best friend.

“So, what were you doing in Soojung party?” Jonghyun asked again, more demanding now. It looked like he was asking as Seohyun’s brother instead of Yonghwa’s best friend. “You were being so jerky out of sudden. You hurt her, you know.”

“Seohyun needs someone better than me. I’m not confident about myself.” Yonghwa told honestly.

“Yahh! Who do you think you are to decide who is better for her?” Jonghyun shouted abruptly. “And what happen with you? How come you’re not confident for being with her? Don’t say something that so modest if you don’t want to reject her directly!”

“It’s not like that...” Yonghwa denied.

“You’re 30 years old. You’re not a newbie in this kind of problem. You’re a successful business man, one of the most wanted Bachelor in Seoul. Just stop it! Stop gives me a nonsense reason just because you’re not intending to be with my sister!” Jonghyun stated sharply.

“Yahh, I told you it’s not like that!” Yonghwa shouted back. “You know exactly that I care for her, Jonghyun-ahh. I won’t dare to hurt her...”

“But you did...” Jonghyun cut off again.

“Okay, I admit that I did hurt her. But I know her since forever. She is your sister. And now I love her as woman. But she...deserves someone better than me.” Yonghwa looked desperate. “Look, I love her, but I’m not a good man for her. You know me. Please, understand me, Jonghyun-ahh.”

But Jonghyun chuckled as if Yonghwa is the most stupid person in the world.

“This love sick syndrome is so . And no, I don’t understand what you are thinking about. I just hope that I’ll never experience it like you.” He mocked so obviously. “Okay, stay in your stupid thinking as you like. Just don’t regret it later.” He added as he got up.

“What do you mean?” Yonghwa asked, curious by Jonghyun last sentence.

“You’ll find it soon.” Jonghyun replied coldly, but suddenly he took a deep breath before said again, “I try to be a neutral here. I’ll respect your decision, whatever it will be. But don’t hurt her too much. Tell her directly your decision. Don’t continue your stupid action as a jerk just to make her hates you. She is a strong girl, she will accept it.”

But Yonghwa didn’t say anything, until Jonghyun left his office room.

***

The other day, finally Yonghwa knew what Jonghyun said back then. He heard Soojung and her mother talk about Seohyun who got a scholarship for her Master degree. So he decided to meet her and explained it all.

So, here they were, in a cafe not far from Seohyun’s home.

“I heard that...”

“Just talk to the point, Oppa.” Seohyun cut off Yonghwa’s prologue.

“Ohh. I’m sorry.” Yonghwa said quietly. “It’s about that night...”

“Ahh...” Seohyun cut off again. “If it’s about that night. I think I need to explain something first. Yes, I liked you, Oppa. As a woman to a man. But I knew that you didn’t have a same feeling with me, so I understand. Don’t worry, I’m moving on right now. I hope it won’t burden you, and we’ll still be friend.”

Yonghwa surprised by Seohyun sudden confession. He felt his heart beat crazily, and hurt in other ways. The ‘liked’ that she mentioned before succeed make he smiled bitterly.

“Yes, Seohyun-ahh. Thank you for your feeling to me. But, I’m sorry I can’t accept your feeling.” Yonghwa said smoothly, as if it did not affect him so much. However the fact is it hurt him so much.

But he could see it. A pain, in Seohyun’s eyes. But he was still in his own choice.

Seohyun might be look so strong right now, but she still teary by Yonghwa’s official’s rejection.

“You’re so young, and smart. I’m sure that you have a big dream too. So, just chase your dream, Joohyun-ahh. And find someone better than me.” Yonghwa added.

But Seohyun chuckled. “Thank you, Oppa. You too, I hope you’ll be happy.” She choked lightly when she said that.

It was surprised him that she could hold her tears.

And it was killing him at the same time.

“Okay, I think it’s clear now. I have to go, Oppa. Thank you for all this time.” Seohyun said as she got up. Yonghwa knew that Seohyun really need to go right now because she afraid she couldn’t hold her tears anymore.

Seohyun was just about to walk when she stopped.

“You said that you couldn’t accept my feeling. But have you ever see me, at least, as a woman?” It seemed that Seohyun still needed to make sure his feeling.

Yonghwa stunned by Seohyun sudden question. He blinked for a while before said, “No...”

But Yonghwa couldn’t hide his own feeling. His eyes showed otherwise. Could Seohyun see that?

“You really don’t have a feeling for me?” Seohyun asked again. Now, she really couldn’t hold her tears anymore.

It was too much for him. He hated himself so much for hurting her like this.

“Yes...” Yonghwa tried to answer it calmly, but it failed because he choked slightly.

Seohyun stared at his eyes, tried to find something.

And she found it.

“You’re...lying Oppa.” she stated as she sobbed.

Yonghwa didn’t say anything. He was afraid, if he said something, he couldn’t hold his own feeling anymore.

Seohyun waited as she cried silently. She could see Yonghwa too, became teary. He clenched his jaws, but Yonghwa still in his decision.

And Seohyun chuckled again. “Okay, Oppa. I don’t need your reason why you’re lying right now. I have been rejected anyway.” Seohyun took a deep breath, tried to calm herself before said. “Take care, Oppa.”

And she left.

***

It had been three months after that. Yonghwa really avoid Seohyun obviously. He didn’t attend any society events. He just drown himself in his work. He needed something to distract himself to forget Seohyun. Even his family worried for him.

That was true that he was doing good of his work, but it felt so wrong. He was not a teenager anymore but he act more childish than a teenager. Sometimes he felt so stupid. He was falling in love so deeply towards Seo Joohyun, yet he decided to let her go.

He tried to not regret his choice, but still Seohyun’s crying face always appeared everytime and everywhere. And it became worse day by day. This love sick was totally messed his life.

Yonghwa need to calm himself after that. He took a break for three days and just stay in his apartment. Might be it was all he need, resting.

Tet!! Tet!! Tet!!

Suddenly he heard someone entered his apartment passcode.

“Oppa, I thought you’re sick!” he heard Soojung shouted at him who just stood in his balcony and sipped his morning coffee.

“Are you okay, Yonghwa-yahh?” her mother approached him and hugged him.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry, Omma!” Yonghwa replied as he chuckled.

“I told you, Omma. He is fine.” Soojung whined as she pouted her lips, annoyed.

“I’m sorry, I’m just too worry Soojung-ahh.” His mother apologized. “You can go, Dear. Omma will ask your brother to take me home later.”

“Okay, see you Omma. You too, Oppa.” Soojung said her goodbye cheerfully.

“Where is she going?” Yonghwa asked curiously as he followed his mother to sit on the couch.

“To Seo family I guess. Since last night she always talked about Joohyun who being proposed by Cho Kyuhyun...”

“Joohyun...what?” Yonghwa surprised by his mother’s words.

“Wae~?” his mother asked back, curiously. But Yonghwa didn’t say anything. He just made a fake cough and sipped his coffee again.

“Yes, I heard that Cho family just proposed Joohyun last week. Seems like Seo family will give the answer right before Joohyun go to London next week.” Her mother explained it, before she suddenly asked, “Are you really okay? You’re sweaty a lot~”

“Ne~? No, I’m fine, Omma. Jinjja.” Yonghwa denied it.

Yes, he suddenly became panic. He thought it a lot these days. It would be happen sooner or later, and he already prepared himself. But, when the news came, he still couldn’t bear it.

Cho Kyuhyun~ Yonghwa tried to recalled what he knew about this guy.

Cho Kyuhyun, one year older than him. He was a successful businessman in property area. His family background was...clear. And he had no bad rumor. He was a perfect husband-to-be for Seohyun.

Will she say yes? Will she happy?

“Ohh, make sure you’ll attend Seo family party before Joohyun leave to London this Friday.” His mother reminded him. But he still occupied with his own thought.