ONE

LOVE SICK...

Seohyun looked at the mirror in front of her, tried to check again her appearance before she nodded, satisfied with herself. Not too much. Simple but gorgeous in white. She didn’t put much make up and she just let her hair loose with natural wave.

Knock! Knock!

She heard someone knocked at her room door, before walked to open it.

“Ohh, you’re ready.” Her mother said as she entered her personal room that were reserved for her tonight. “Here is the event list for tonight.”

Seohyun took the paper that her mother gave and read it. She saw her name below Im Jin Ah a.k.a Nana, and above Jung Soojung a.k.a Krystal Jung, as debutantes who would debut in Cotillion tonight.

Yes, it was her debut together with Nana and Soojung.

Cotillion was a new event for upper class society who lived in Gangnam Residence, Seoul, to arrange a ball for their daughters and showed them to society. Tonight was the 7th Cotillion. True that this was not their original tradition, they just adapted this event into their society. But Cotillion became the most awaited event every year, because the successful of this ball would affect the good reputation for the family who held it.

In the original tradition, Cotillion usually held for a girl who just stepped on the maturity, 17-18 years old girl and matured enough to get married. But in their society, they held it for 24-25 years old girl who just graduated from university and ready to get married. In the other words, this event could be a chance to all debutantes to look for their future husbands. And in the society, some families usually conducted the Cotillion together for their daughters who were 24-25 years old those year.

Actually, Seo family was not like common socialite family in the society. They were one of the respectable family in Seoul, it was true, but they never live too hedonistic. Seohyun grandfather had been a Minister of Education in South Korea, her father was a Rector of SNU, and her mother was a famous pianist who had a Classic Musical School in Seoul. The Seo family was known as Education Family in South Korea. And Seo Joohyun would continue their family tradition in education because her brother, Seo Jonghyun, chose to become a lawyer and build his own Law Firm.

Personally, Seohyun didn’t like the society event. She always tried to avoid it as much as she could. Include this Cotillion. At first, she refused to become a debutante this year, because it just wasted their money. But her father told her to just use this event to expand the friendship and links that would be useful in the future. Beside that, Cotillion means charity too. Yes, the society always included the charity event on every their parties.

“Are you ready, Dear?” her mother asked her again as Seohyun nodded. “How about your partner?” she asked again.

“Minhyuk is already in the Ball,” Seohyun replied her mother.

“And Jungshin?” her mother still asked.

“You know him, Omma. He hates this kind of event.” Seohyun said as she giggled.

“Ohh ye~ I forget it. But it would be great if Nicole is here tonight.” Her mother said as she clasped Seohyun hands and they walked together out of the room towards the Ball.

“Ye~ I hope so too Omma. We should debut together tonight...” Seohyun said as she became teary because she miss Nicole, her best friend who continued her study to New York after she graduated from High School, so much.

Nicole was Seohyun’s best friend since they were in the Middle School. They met in the society event and were so happy when she knew that they were in the same school. Nicole didn’t act like the common chaebol in their ages who was so snobbish and arrogant. Because of that they clicked with each other.

“Don’t cry, Hyunnie~. You’ll mess your make up.” Her mother rubbed Seohyun’s hand, warmly. “I’m sure she is so happy tonight. Did she call you last night?”

“Ne~ she called me, and we cried together.”

In the end, her mother chuckled. Seohyun would always be her baby girl eventhough she was 24 years old this year.

“Tonight is your night. You should be happy.” Her mother said again. “And I would be happy if you could introduce me to someone tonight.”

“Omma~”

***

Seohyun arrived in the Ball. Her jaw dropped immediately. It was so daebak, maybe it was the most fabulous party that she ever held.

Thanks to Nana’s mother. Seohyun heard from her mother that this Ball was 80% arranged by Nana’s mother who was the most excited one. Seohyun mother was not really into the party, so she handed the party all to Nana’s mother. And because Soojung’s family was not living in Korea, they handed it to Nana’s mother too.

“How is it?” Seohyun heard someone asked her as she felt her arms being wrapped.

“It’s so great.” Seohyun replied sincerely and Nana giggled happily.

“Of course it is. Let’s go! We need to be ready.”

Nana pulled her towards the back stage because the party would begin.

In the back stage, they saw Soojung and her mother. Seohyun and Nana nodded politely to them.

“You must be Joohyun and Jin Ah, right?” Soojung’s mother greeted them cheerfully.

“Ne~ Ommonim,” Seohyun and Nana replied together.

“Ahh, good to see you~,” Soojung’s mother walked towards them and hugged them one by one. “Please treat Soojung well, because she feel so shy here.”

“Omma~” Soojung whined as her mother words but it succeed make Seohyun and Nana chuckled.

“Ne~ Ommonim, don’t worry! Come on, Krys!” Nana replied with her famous aegyo voice and approached Soojung.

After that, it was just the three of them.

“By any chance, do you remember me? Soojung or you prefer to be called Krystal?” it was Seohyun who asked now.

“Soojung would be better,” Soojung replied quietly. “And yes, I remember you, Seohyun-ssi. We met several times in the society events before I went to LA.”

“Yes, it was so unfortunate. I thought we could be a good friend back then. But we meet again now, I hope we could be a good friend?” Seohyun asked again.

Soojung smiled widely, and she looked so pretty because of that. “Of course, chinggoo~” Soojung replied and they chuckled together.

“Aigoo~ I think all of the rumors about you are totally wrong. I heard so much about the spoilt brat and arrogant Krystal Jung. But what I see tonight is the shy Jung Soojung. How cute~” Nana comment bluntly and it succeed make Krystal speechless.

Seohyun laughed before she explained, “Nana is known as the bluntly one, Soojung-ahh. She always talk her mind to the point. Please bear with her.”

“Yep, I’m sorry if I offended you. Just talk freely if you annoyed by me, okay chinggoo? And if you wondering why you couldn’t remember me, it’s because I’m a new money here.” Nana added nonchalantly and Soojung looked more speechless because of that.

 

The main event in the party was start. Finally the MC announced the occasion of this party and introduced the debutantes on the stage. After that they should dance with their partner.

“I should be happy because your first dance tonight is mine. But I think Jungshin is right, this party is .” Minhyuk mumbled as he gripped Seohyun’s hand tight. They were in the middle of the dance.

“Yahh! Don’t talk like that. You already agreed to help me. As my best friend, please bear with it tonight.” Seohyun said as she patted Minhyuk back lightly.

Seohyun and Nicole met Jungshin and Minhyuk in High School. Jungshin and Minhyuk were new moneys (Someone who is rich but does not come from a weathly background or family history) back then, and didn’t have too much friends. But they acted so modest, especially to scholar students. Because of that, Seohyun, Nicole, Minhyuk, and Jungshin became best friends.

 They danced for several minutes, before Seohyun’s father approached them, “May I?”

“Of course, Abbonim.” Minhyuk said as he placed Seohyun’s hand to her father’s hand and moved back from the dance floor.

“You look so gorgeous tonight, Dear~” Her father complimented her.

“Thank you, Appa. You’re so cool too.” Seohyun replied shyly.

“I hope your gorgeous charm would affect all gentlemen here. And I’ll wait for someone who would be introduced to me in the end of party.” Her father added.

“Appa, please~” Seohyun whined while her father chuckled. It always liked that. Her parents always about boyfriend things because Seohyun never introduced her parents to her boyfriend (Jungshin and Minhyuk were her best friends, so they excluded in this topic).

“I wonder where is Jonghyun Oppa?” Seohyun asked to her father.

“Hhmm, I know you don’t interest on this party, but try to look around, Dear. You always look too straight.” Her father said so it succeed make Seohyun raised her eyebrow.

“What do you mean, Appa?” Seohyun asked again but her father just raised his chin as he pointed to something behind her.  And when she turned around, she saw her brother danced with Soojung.

“Okay,” Seohyun said as she rolled her eyes.

***

The formal event was end. Now is the real party. The classical music now turned into upbeat music from the DJ. The olders were already left the party. The dance floor now was full of youngster who danced crazily.

Minhyuk just disappeared since one hour ago, left Seohyun alone here.

“Hello, Sister!” Seohyun who just sat alone in the corner heard someone approached her and sat beside her.

“Finally, you remember you have a sister here,” Seohyun grumbled annoyingly.

“Yahh! I’m sorry, Joohyun-ahh~ I have to accompany...”

“Soojung. Yeah, I know.” Seohyun cut off Jonghyun words.

But Jonghyun chuckled. “Yahh, listen to me first. Soojung didn’t have a friend here. She just came back from LA for almost 14 years she lived there. So, Yonghwa asked me to become her partner tonight. Please, I’m sorry~”

Seohyun felt so pity for Soojung suddenly, so she nodded lightly.

“Yes, you’re really my sweetest Joohyun,” Jonghyun pinched her cheek and succeed make Seohyun slapped him hard.

“Look at them,” suddenly Seohyun heard someone told beside her table. “Are they really together? How come? Yonghwa Oppa just came back last week.”

Seohyun followed their stares and found out someone who known as Jung Yonghwa with a girl beside him, Park Shinhye.

“But they were so close since Junior High. I wonder why they weren’t together back then.” Other girl replied.

“Girls...” Jonghyun snored annoyingly and Seohyun just chuckled.

But suddenly they realized that Jung Yonghwa already in front of them.

“Yo~” Jonghyun greeted him lazily.

“Yahh, what happen with your expression?” Yonghwa asked as he chuckled.

But Jonghyun just shrugged, “Bored. This party is too childish.”

“You just admit that you’re old already, Oppa.” Seohyun said as she laughed hard.

“Whoaa, Joohyun-ahh. You grow up beautifully~” Yonghwa exclaimed out of sudden as if he just realized Seohyun presence. But the fact is, Jung Yonghwa was already there before the party began.

“Thank you~” Seohyun replied shortly with a light smile. She knew Jung Yonghwa since 14 years ago, before he and his family decided to move to LA. He was always being a favorite in ladies eyes, but she never fallen into his charm like other girls did.

In her eyes, Jung Yonghwa was just a choding Oppa who always . Nothing more nothing less.

“Yonghwa-yahh~” they heard someone called. Seohyun needed to bend her head lightly to find out who is the one who called Yonghwa. And it was Park Shinhye.

“Joohyun-ahh, Let’s dance!” suddenly Seohyun felt her wrist being grabbed and her body being pulled by Yonghwa.

“W – wait!” Seohyun tried to argue, but Yonghwa already dragged her to dance floor.

Seohyun looked at Park Shinhye who looked angry, it was so contrast with Jonghyun who laughed so hard.

Unfortunately, the DJ just changed the song with a ballad song because he got request from someone. So Yonghwa, put Seohyun’s hand around his neck, as he wrapped Seohyun’s waist.

Seohyun became nervous for this sudden close proximity. It was the first time for her being so close with Yonghwa.

“Nervous?” Yonghwa stated bluntly as he held his smile.

“W – what?” Seohyun felt so stupid out of sudden because Yonghwa always being like this, choding. It just so wasted to feel nervous for someone like him. “How should I?” Seohyun said but she turned away so she could avoid his eyes.

“Good.” Yonghwa said shortly as they danced.

“But what if Park Shinhye unnie hates me because of this, Oppa?” Seohyun asked to just broke the ice because they were silent too long.

“How should she?” Yonghwa asked her back.

“Yahh! Oppa!” Seohyun grew impatient as she hit Yonghwa’s back lightly.

“No, she won’t dare. Don’t worry!” he replied calmly. “She is too clingy. I’m so annoyed. We’re good friend, it’s true. But I’m not her boyfriend. I have to draw a line here.” Yonghwa explained to her.

“So, you use me to draw your line?” Seohyun asked annoyingly.

“Yes, I’m sorry.” Yonghwa replied honestly but chuckled.

“No, you’re not sorry.” Seohyun stated as she tried to pull herself, but Yonghwa gripped her waist more tightly.

“Just tonight, Joohyun-ahh. Please~” Yonghwa grinned at her. His eyes and smile looked charming in her eyes.

THUMP!

Suddenly Seohyun felt her heart thumping.

Since when he looks so good when he smiles? Seohyun told to herself as she took a deep breath.

***

The next day was a chaos for Seohyun.

The news about her and Yonghwa closeness that night became a hot topic. Seohyun didn’t know that there was a paparazzi on the party last night.

“Aigoo~ so, it’s him Joohyun-ahh? Jung Yonghwa?” her father as he placed the Society Tabloid in the table. “That’s why you didn’t need to introduced him to me last night? Because I already know him?”

“Appa~” Seohyun whined annoyingly and it succeed make her parents giggled.

“Don’t worry, Appa. It’s just a misunderstanding.” Jonghyun said calmly as he sipped his coffee. “This rumor would disappear in a few days. Just wait until Yonghwa spotted together with someone else.”

STAB!

Suddenly, Seohyun felt her heart clenched. But she tried to ignore it and act as normal as she could.

“And how about you and Jung Soojung?” it was her mother who asked to Jonghyun.

“Hehh? Eeeiiyy, I was just being a gentleman last night, Omma. Yonghwa asked me to be Soojung’s partner. But she is too young for me.” Jonghyun denied.

Too young~ Yes, Soojung is the same age as me. And Yonghwa Oppa is the same age with Jonghyun Oppa.

It seemed that every words that Jonghyun said this morning always stabbed right into her heart.

“I heard that he was donating large amounts of money last night?” her father asked to her mother.

“Ye~, he is  the top giver in the charity.” Her mother replied.

What? Really? Seohyun didn’t know why, but she felt so happy to hear that news.

"I think Yonghwa didn’t want his name being mentioned as a top giver.” Jonghyun reminded her mother.

“Yes, but it’s just between us. Nobody will know, I promise.” Her mother assured.

“Hmm...he is indeed a good man.” Her father mumbled and deep inside her heart, Seohyun agreed with what her father said.

She still felt her heart beats crazily as if it would burst of happiness.

 

“Daebak!” Jungshin exclaimed as he looked at her phone, then he laughed hard.

Seohyun, Jungshin, and Minhyuk were sat together in their campus park. This morning they should finish all the requirements for their graduation next week.

“You’re really become a celebrity, Seohyun-ahh.” Jungshin added as he still enjoyed reading all the comments on her article.

“I regretted to leave you early last night. I couldn’t saw you with him.” Minhyuk added and succeed made Seohyun rolled her eyes.

“Just wait until he spotted together with someone else,” Seohyun said, tried to look nonchalantly.

But Jungshin and Minhyuk knew her quiet well, they knew exactly that Seohyun being affected by this rumor, or by Jung Yonghwa?

Suddenly, she heard her phone vibrated. And when she looked, it was Nicole’s name that appeared.

“Nicole?” Seohyun answered her called. It was so rare for Nicole to call her in the afternoon.

“Yahh! What happen between you and Yonghwa Oppa?” Seohyun heard Nicole shouted in the phone until Jungshin and Minhyuk could hear her voice clearly.

“Nononono~ not you too~” Seohyun whined again for nth times these days.

“Wait? You whined? Seo Joohyun just whined? Oh My God, don’t tell that you really like Yonghwa Oppa!” Nicole told so fast, surprised by Seohyun sudden whined.

“Yahh! What is the relation between me who whined and Yonghwa Oppa?” Seohyun were getting mad and it succeed make Nicole, Jungshin, and Minhyuk laughed so hard.

“Okay – okay, Just kidding Joohyun-ahh. Just tell me about your debut last night...”

In the end, Seohyun spent her afternoon with her best friends and could forget the strange feeling in her heart for a while.