6. Be Natural

Teukmin Oneshots

Sungmin had always known that he had a special affinity for nature. He spent a good majority of his youth outside exploring the world, surrounded by the large oak trees and bright posies in the forest just beyond the gate of his backyard. He would waste hours by himself in the depths of the tree line, communicating with the earth around him as the nature that surrounded him bloomed and grew to his will.

As the years passed and he got older Sungmin's soul aligned itself to be so in sync with the world around him that the nature he knew as his home would follow him and his emotions, and in turn his feelings would almost reflect the passing seasons. When he was eventually ripped away from his family home at the age of sixteen and thrown into the cold hard world that was the city of Seoul in an attempt to follow his dream of boing a singer, he found despite everything he still constantly craved the warmth the earth would always give him. Even now, after years of being cooped up in the small super junior dorms the pull was as strong as ever, the small pieces of nature n the busy city constantly calling to him.

It was why he was such a fan of all things colourful. Despite the members constant teasing and taunts about the state of his fashion sense he couldn't bring himself to dress otherwise – the desire for colour and brightness that reminded him so much of the beauty of spring time outweighing any need to dress the way the others wanted him to.

Although he wasn't particularly considered the odd member of the group, position taken by a clearly bumbling Jongwoon, the rest of the group was well aware of his rather eccentric ways. Often the other members found him around the dorm or schedules lost deeply in his own thoughts, attention always captured elsewhere by the beauty of the world around him. He didn't speak much, not known for his words either on or off stage, but the group had quickly learnt to appreciate his quiet and gentle ways.

It was because of Sungmin that the dorm was full of life, plants of all colours covering every surface of the apartment imaginable. Over the years he'd decorated each of the rooms in the horribly plain dorms, transforming the groups surroundings into a haven of nature and warmth. All of the rooms were covered in the beauty of the world outside, except for one. 

Jungsoo had always surrounded himself with the stark plainness that was white, the brightness of the myriad of colourful walls and plants coming to an abrupt end right at the edge of the leaders doorway. It tugged at Sungmin's soul, the sheer bareness of the room doing nothing but making him feel empty. He craved nothing more than to cover the room in the warmth of the nature that surrounded the rest of the world, to give Jungsoo the love and care that he felt deep in his heart when he was surrounded by the earth. 

But as much as he wished to reach out to the elder he could not figure out how to properly approach the stoic man. Sungmin had always understood that they were polar opposites, Sungmin's colourfulness feeling much too bright compared to the simple whiteness that Jungsoo chose to surround himself with.

In the end, change started with a dream. Sleep was always a source of calm and ease for Sungmin as the real world melted away, instead finding himself truly one with nature once again, buildings and structures no longer in his way. His dreams were where his feelings were able to fully bloom into the bright colours and plants he always wished to have surrounding him. A feeling of peace washed over Sungmin, soul finally content after working through the cold harshness of everyday life.

His dreams were a haven, his own personal form of heaven that no one else could take from him. Until one night when another figure entered his dream world, a figure dressed only in white standing stoically in the middle of his world. It shocked Sungmin to his core, moving forward carefully before he was finally face to face with the stranger, Sungmin peering up at him curiously. 

As a small dimpled grin stretched across the figures face Sungmin felt calm fill his being, reaching out to take the figures hand in his own gentle grip, the pale pink that rippled through the sky from the sun that was just peeking over the horizon spilling from his palm and swirling through the essence of the man, staining his stark white being with splashes of colour.

When Sungmin awoke the next morning, content smile on his face he exited his bedroom to discover Leeteuk standing with Heechul at the end of the hallway, pile of pale pink flowers nestled in his arms.

The weeks continued just as they did that night, Sungmin constantly joined in his dreams by the same figure in white, colours continually seeping from their clasped hands and staining the others pale complexion in different shades of colour and brightness, hues of pinks and purples and blues masking the once blank canvas.

And each morning Sungmin would wake to find Jungsoo leaving his room with armfuls of flowers, violets and daffodils and tulips that were all the colours of the rainbow littering the once white room with bright splashes of life and colour. Each time Sungmin managed a glimpse into the room, finding the varying flowers still covering the room in their beauty his happiness grew, the flowers continuing to grow and bloom alongside his feelings.

Eventually weeks turned into months, Sungmin easily falling into this new daily routine that came from the new found warmth of the man in his dreams. Until one day when he came home after a busy morning of schedules, bouquet of bright sunflowers nestled in his arms. It was quite often that fans gave something like a pretty bunch of flowers as a gift, the girls all too aware of the way his eyes tended to light up at the sight of any sort of beautiful pieces of nature. 

He walked through the dorms, face buried in the soft petals as he inhaled their smell when his gaze drifted to the open bedroom door, heart stopping.

The walls that had been covered in such bright colours and beautiful flowers just earlier that morning was now back to a blank white, room in pristine condition with not a speck of life or colour that was once his flowers to be seen. Pain shot through Sungmin, heart aching as he felt the sunflowers in his hands start to shrivel, the bright yellow turning an ugly burnt brown as the throbbing hurt overcame him.

Rushing into his own room as he heard loud footsteps approaching the front door Sungmin slammed his door shut, barely containing his choked breaths as tears stung at his aching eyes. He'd been silly to think that someone as pristine and perfect as Jungsoo would willingly hold onto the clutter that had obviously been his flowers.

It was a miracle that that older man had put up with them for so long already, Sungmin just hadn't realised how much it would... hurt. Taking a heaving breath he stumbled forward, dropping the pile of dead flowers in his arms as he flopped onto his bed, watching the rest of the plants wilt around him dejectedly, before finally everything went black.

A few hours later Sungmin jolted awake from a dreamless sleep, sun just starting to set outside his window. Stifling a yawn he realised that someone was knocking quietly at his bedroom door, rubbing his eyes quickly in the hope to get rid of any remnants of his earlier tears before he got up and opened the door, tired eyes widening slightly at who stood on the other side.

Jungsoo gave him a shy smile, bright eyes looking at him gently over the top of a large bouquet of flowers tucked between his arms. Confusion washed over Sungmin, looking between the flowers and Jungsoo before his eyes widened further, realisation at how familiar the pretty colours of the petals where.

“Can I come in?”

Nodding Sungmin shuffled back, heart beating rapidly against his chest as the older man stepped tentatively into the room. They both fell into an awkward silence, Sungmin unsure for the first time how he was supposed to act, the warmth in is soul from the flowers doing very little to calm his panicked heartbeat. Suddenly the warmth was even stronger, Jungsoo ing the large pile of flowers towards him.

Almost automatically Sungmin took the pile gently from the elders hands, smile spreading unconsciously on his face as he the different flowers petals softly, the warmth radiating of them working to sooth his nervous heart. Jungsoo took a long breath, Sungmin's attention drifting away from the flowers to the man shuffling awkward in front of him.

“You know,” the elder started, not looking up from the ground. “When we first met I really thought we wouldn't like each other, because you've always been everything I'm not. You are such a bright person, so full of love and warmth and happiness that I can't even imagine being able to compare to someone as perfect as you – you're just constantly like a bright summers day.”

Jungsoo paused, eyes drifting up to meet Sungmin's own wide eyes  with a shy dimpled smile. “To be honest, I've loved everything about you for a really long time Sungminnie. You're amazing, and I felt it was fitting that if I was going to confess to someone as perfect as you that you deserved to be given something just as perfect. Besides, it felt wrong to keep something so beautiful for myself anyway when their creator is just as stunning.”

Sungmin in a breath, cheeks a pretty shade of pink as he absorbed Jungsoo's whirlwind of a confession. 

“How... how do you know that the flowers belong to me?”

Jungsoo just chuckled, reaching forward to Sungmin's cheek gently. “The world around you always seems to exude the same amount of sheer beauty and brightness that is in everything about you and the nature you surround yourself with. Besides, would you believe me if I said I discovered it in a dream?”

And when Jungsoo moved forward and pressed their lips together in a sweet kiss, flowers quietly dropping to the floor around them as Sungmin wound his arms around them elders neck, warmth exploded out of Sungmin's heart and washing over their surroundings as the flowers quickly bloomed bright around them, the beautiful colours of their love surrounding them perfectly.

-----

prompt: nature sprites and nymph nurses that always make sure people have pretty flowers to brighten up their white rooms.