Chapter 2

The Sound Of Love (Sequel to Unspoken Love)

Luhan woke Mei-Xing up, “Morning, feeling better?”
Mei-Xing sat up stiffly and signed, “I’m sorry.”

Luhan simply replied, “It’s fine, how do you feel?”

“I have a headache.”
“Are you still upset about the scout?”

Mei-Xing lowered her head and nodded stiffly, Luhan saw more tears and hugged her, “Shhh, its okay.”

Mei-Xing started to cry harder and shook her head and signed, “I worked so hard…I practiced day and night. After that night, I watched all my dreams die. You don’t know…you got a great job…I’m just a burden to you.”

Luhan shook his head, “What are you talking about!? I love you, and I always will! Speaking isn’t everything!”

Mei-Xing angrily signed back, “Singing was everything to me!”

Luhan didn’t respond and Mei-Xing got out of bed angrily, she tripped and Luhan caught her, “Are you okay!?”

Mei-Xing pulled herself out of his arms and papers fell onto the ground, Luhan looked down and saw it was pamphlets. Mei-Xing looked at the papers to Luhan, she was still. Luhan bent down and picked up a paper, “What’s this?”

Mei-Xing huffed and snatched the paper out of his hands, “Nothing! Just leave me alone!”

Mei-Xing stormed out of the room and Luhan kneeled down going through more of the papers. Luhan read through them, they were all ads and informational packets for surgery to heal her voice. Luhan felt a hand on his shoulder and saw Mei-Xing crying, she sat next to him and signed, “I’m sorry…I’m so sorry!”

Luhan knew how much she loved to sing, how much she wanted to be a singer. Luhan gently wrapped his arms around her and she cried into his shoulder, Luhan whispered, “Shhh, it’s okay. It’s not your fault. I want you to be happy Mei-Xing, what can I do to make you happy?”

Mei-Xing just cried and cried, rocking in Luhan’s arms.

******************************************************************************

Luhan watched as the weeks went by, Mei-Xing became quiet and lost happiness in her life. Mei-Xing heard Luhan come in and got up, “Where have you been?”

Luhan dragged his feet and fell into bed next to her exhausted, “I’m sorry. I had to do something.”

Mei-Xing crossed her arms, “I was worried about you.”

Luhan wrapped an arm around her and sighed tired, “Let’s just sleep,”

Mei-Xing pulled out of his embrace, “You’ve been coming home late for months, where are you going every day? Are you meeting someone?”

Luhan sat up seeing Mei-Xing upset, “No, it’s not like that at all.”

“Are you seeing someone else? Is she pretty? I bet you like her more than me, because I’m just the dumb wife at home. Can’t speak, can’t do anything.”

Luhan looked her in the eyes and shook his head desperately signing, “No it’s not like that at all! Please believe me!”

Mei-Xing was breathing heavily and crossed her arms, “If you don’t want to be here, then just don’t come home!”

Luhan asked, “What’s wrong? Why are you so angry all of a sudden? You’ve been so quiet lately, and not this outburst.”

“I’m acting strange? What about you!? You used to come home, eat with me, talk to me. Now I barely ever see you!”

Luhan rubbed his tired eyes, “I’m really sorry. I promise it’s not for much longer, I’m just very busy at work.”

Mei-Xing softened, “I’m sorry.”

Luhan gently pulled her into a hug, “What’s wrong?”

Mei-Xing started to cry and signed weakly, “Luhan…I’m so unhappy.”

“Why?”
“I just…I can’t live like this anymore. I feel hopeless.”

“What are you saying? You’re worrying me.”

Mei-Xing met eyes with Luhan’s, “How can you love me? I’m so useless.”

Luhan kissed her forehead and signed, “I love you so much, you’re everything to me. You’ll never be useless.”

Mei-Xing feeling sleep start to take over signed, “Tell me you love me…I want to hear your voice.”

Luhan kissed her forehead gently again and then whispered over and over again, “I love you, Mei-Xing.”

Mei-Xing signed before falling asleep completely, “Is this what love sounds like?”