Six

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

I'll fix you; you and all your broken pieces.

"You have to get out of bed." Luhan gently shook Sehun's sleeping body. "Get up, Sehun." 

Sehun cracked his eyes open and then mumbled a, "No." He to his side and pulled the blanket over his head. "I want to sleep." Luhan heaved a sigh and then crawled onto the bed to sit on Sehun's legs. Sehun let out a whine and tried to kick Luhan off, but it didn't work. 

"You have to wake up. I know you're tired, but you have to wake up." Luhan slowly pulled the blanket off and Sehun looked up at Luhan with tired eyes. 

"Five more minutes?" he asked.

Luhan frowned "Come on."

"Just five minutes. Please?" 

"Just five," Luhan said. When he caught the look Sehun gave him he raised an eyebrow. "What?" 

"Sleep with me?" Sehun asked. 

"Oh, my god." Luhan rolled his eyes but crawled under the blanket and Sehun buried his face in the crook of Luhan's neck. Luhan let Sehun use his arm as a pillow and wrapped his arms around Sehun's thin frame. The boy had gotten a little more fat on his body and was two kilograms heavier, which was great because Sehun was severely underweight. Luhan felt Sehun's warm puffs of breath on his collarbone and the little strands of brown baby hair poked his nose, tickling it. 

Seconds ticked by and Luhan could tell that Sehun had fallen asleep again. Luhan raised a hand and ran his fingers through Sehun's hair. The usual tired, stoic expression on Sehun's face was replaced with something else so different Sehun looked like a complete different person. The sleeping Sehun was serene and relaxed whereas the awake Sehun was tense and jumpy. Luhan liked this Sehun better, even if they couldn't communicate. 

Eventually Luhan shook Sehun's shoulder and the other woke. "Already?" he asked, sleepily. 

"Yea. Wake up." 

Luhan had a plan. He was going to fix Sehun before he left. He wasn't going to let Sehun fend for himself anymore. Sehun just wasn't strong enough for that.

Yet.

 

"You're so confusing," Luhan commented, "Like a puzzle." 

Sehun stiffened and when Luhan gave him a worried look, he relaxed but mumbled something under his breath that Luhan couldn't catch. Knowing better than to pry, Luhan continued eating. 

"We should get out of the house and do something together," Luhan said. 

Sehun shrugged. "It doesn't matter. As long as I'm with you." 

Luhan smiled. "You're cute." 

"And you're dying," Sehun mumbled. 

The smile slipped off Luhan's face. "Hey. Stop talking about that." Luhan wiped the milk off of his mouth with the back of his hand. "I'm still here now, let's just focus on that."

"I'm just tired of everything. I'm tired of people leaving me, lying to me, I'm just tired of life." 

"Don't be. You still have a long way to go. Don't put all those years to waste." 

Sehun looked up from his breakfast. "Tell me something. Anything that'll make me feel better. Quick." 

Luhan blinked. "Let's go on a date," he said. 

A frown formed on Sehun's features. "That doesn't make me feel better."

"You're the first one I fell in love with." 

"Better." Sehun's lips curved upwards slightly. "But is it true?"

"100%" 

 

"I'm cold." 

Luhan opened his arms and let Sehun crawl into his lap. The blanket he had wrapped around himself was now also wrapped around Sehun. Sehun's back was pressed against Luhan's chest, Luhan's chin rested on Sehun's shoulder.

Soft touches. Sehun could feel Luhan's hands crawl up and down his leg, He turned his head to the side. His lips brushed against Luhan's cheek and he could feel Luhan's hair poke at his eyes. 

Eyelids fluttered closed. The sound of the television was muted. The characters' lips moved, but there was no sound. Luhan kissed Sehun's neck. Sehun's breath hitched, and their arms encircled each other. The blanket was kicked off and the remote clattered as it fell on the floor. Somewhere in the middle of their kissing, Luhan felt something wet on his face. His eyes opened and he found tears cascading down Sehun's cheeks, eyes shut in an almost painful expression. "Why?" he asked, breath tickling Sehun's chin. 

"I don't want you to leave." 

"Why do we always come back to his conversation?" Luhan's eyes closed again and he pulled Sehun closer. 

"Because I know." Sehun's hand pressed on Luhan's chest, right where his heart was. 

"Know what?" 

"Two weeks." Sehun blinked and the teardrop on his eyelash fell on Luhan's lip. "You have two weeks. In two weeks, you'll be gone, and I'll be lonely again." 

Luhan felt his heart breaking. The tone Sehun used made him sound so helpless, so broken. The teardrop slid down Luhan's lip and Luhan could taste the saltiness on his tongue. A bitter taste spread in his mouth. Sehun was broken to the point that even glue or tape couldn't stick the pieces in the right spot. And when Luhan's life ends, everything that he had tried to built up will crumble again. There was nothing he could do to take Sehun out of his misery, of the hole he was in. 

Even if you manage to put me back together, there'll still be missing pieces: holes and cracks that can never be filled in again. 

 

Sehun woke up the next morning, cold and lonely. He reached his hands around the bed, searching for warmth, but found nothing. "Luhan?" he called out, voice cracking at the end of his sentence. His hands bunched the sheets in his hands, knuckles turning white. His eyes burned and his throat felt constricted. "Luhan," he said again. 

Please don't leave. You can't leave yet. 

Sehun's breathing became labored. His eyes darted around the room, not staying at the same spot for more than two seconds. "Luhan?" 

The room to his bedroom opened seconds later, revealing Luhan wearing a maroon sweater and holding a plate of waffles in his hand. Sehun let out a shaky breath and his grip on the bedsheets loosened. Luhan set the plate on the bedside drawer and sat down on the bed. His hands were cold and slightly wet, but Sehun held onto it for dear life. 

"I thought you left me. I thought you were gone." Sehun let go of Luhan's hand and held onto the sweater instead. He buried his face in it, hiding his tears and muffling his sniffles. "You scared me." 

Luhan struggled to keep his composure. "I-I'm sorry." His fingers touched Sehun's hair and smoothed it out. "I woke up and thought you'd like breakfast." 

Sehun said nothing, only holding tighter onto the sweater. "Please don't do that again. I'm trying to accept that you're leaving, but...but if that comes earlier than expected...I don't know what I'll do." 

Luhan's lips trembled. "I'm sorry." 

That was the only thing he could say. Nothing else would fix the scars.