One

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Yet another loved one has come and gone.

Sehun let out a shaky breath. He scooped out dirt from the ground with his hands, and set the deceased goldfish in the hole. He felt tears line his eyes as he covered the body with the moist soil. "I hope you'll still remember me," he said.

It was stupid, Sehun knew, but that goldfish was the only one who seemed to care. Everyday afterschool, Sehun would sit down at the table he set the bowl on and stare at the fish swimming around. He would tell the fish about his life, how he hated it, how he missed the happy times, how the fish was his best friend because "people are living, eating, breathing machines." 

"Am I just another living, eating, breathing machine to you too?" Sehun asked one day. The fish floated there for a moment, seemingly staring into Sehun's eyes, and then turned around. Sehun's lower lip curled into a small pout. "I guess that's a yes." 

Sehun patted the dirt with his hand and placed a small rock on top of it. Engraved on the rock were the words, Here lies my only best friend. Sehun stared at the rock for a few moments before pushing himself off his knees. "You were a great friend." 

Sehun left the backyard and pushed the glass door open. He washed his hands in the sink and cleaned the dirt under his fingernails away. The house seemed so much emptier now. Yes, it was just a goldfish about the size of Sehun's finger, but it made Sehun feel like there was someone at home waiting for him. There was no one waiting for him now. 

Sehun dried his hands with a towel and his laptop. 

"Roommate wanted. Must be able to put up with a depressed teenager."

 

The doorbell rang. 

Sehun pushed himself off the futon and opened the front door. He found his new "housemate" standing on the porch with a duffle bag slung across his shoulders and a suitcase behind him. Sehun looked behind him and found the yellow taxi driving off. 

"Is this Oh Sehun's house?" 

Sehun's eyes traveled back to the person in front of him. "If it wasn't, you're screwed because the taxi driver just left." Luhan's eyes rounded and he turned and found the taxi gone. "Yes, I am. You're Lu Han right?" Luhan nodded slowly. "Come in." Sehun opened the door wider and let the other male step in. Sehun picked up the suitcase and was surprised at how light it was. Nevertheless, he kicked the door closed with his foot and led Luhan upstairs to his room. 

"This is your room. That bathroom's down the hall." Sehun stepped into the hallway and pointed to a closed door. "That's my room. If you have any questions, just ask." Luhan nodded and Sehun closed the door behind him when he left. He walked down the carpeted stairs and sat back down on the futon. He mindlessly flipped through the channels on the television. 

Sehun set the remote down on his stomach when he found something satisfactory to watch and leaned back on the futon. He was engrossed in the show until he heard his stomach growl. He sat up and picked up the fallen remote off the floor. Sehun turned the television off and walked into the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and pulled out a half-eaten tub of chocolate ice cream. He was about to open the drawer for a spoon when he spotted it. 

A spider. 

Sehun slowly stepped back and set the tub of ice cream on the table. He searched the room and zeroed his eyes on the newspaper in the living room. He strode across the kitchen and grabbed the paper, rolling it into a cylinder. Sehun stepped back into the kitchen and held the newspaper in front of him. He hit the counter where he thought the spider would be, and it fell to the ground. Sehun let out a small shriek and jumped onto a chair. The newspaper was no use now. Sehun felt gnawing in his stomach and he eyed the tub of ice cream with anguish. 

Sehun went back to staring at the spider on the tiled floor. It was crawling all over the place, under the fridge and back out again, up the cabinets and then back down again. It was almost like it was teasing Sehun. Sehun glared at the eight-legged creature with disgust before huffing. He was really hungry, but couldn't get to the spoon. 

"Umm, are you okay?" 

Sehun's head whipped around and found Luhan standing in the living room, staring at him oddly. "There's a spider." Sehun pointed at the arachnid that was now making a web under the counter. "Can you kill it?" 

A weird expression passed over Luhan's face but he strode into the kitchen. "Where is it?" he asked. 

Sehun pointed. "There. It's right there." Luhan frowned and looked at the direction he was pointing. "Do you see it? It's huge." 

A small smirk grew on Luhan's lips. "It's not that big." Luhan picked up the newspaper and let the spider crawl onto it. He held the paper out for Sehun to see. "It's about the size of my thumb," Luhan said. 

"Don't put that...thing in front of me." Sehun shuddered and jumped off the chair. He lagged behind as Luhan brought the spider outside and let it crawl into a bush. "Couldn't you have squished it or something?" Sehun asked. 

"It kills the bugs living in your house. Be thankful," Luhan said. He dusted his hands off and went back inside the house. 

"I can squish bugs. It's just spiders that creep me out."

Luhan raised an eyebrow. "Why?" 

"They have too many legs." 

 

Sehun was brushing his teeth when he smelled something cooking. He rinsed his mouth and dried his lips before walking down to find Luhan cooking. 

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Breakfast," Luhan replied. "Yours is on the table." 

Sehun sat down on the chair and eyed the scrambled eggs and bacon on the chipped plate. "Where'd you get all this stuff? I only have instant ramyun." Sehun picked up the spoon and scooped up some eggs and sniffed it. Seems edible

"Yea, I found your stash. Anyway, I went shopping this morning." 

Sehun stopped eating, the spoon pressing against his lips. "It's only ten," he said.

"I wake up at six everyday," Luhan replied. 

Sehun stared at Luhan's back in awe. "H-how?" He saw Luhan shrug. 

"School, I guess." Luhan turned around and placed a sausage on Sehun's plate. "Eat." 

Sehun decided that having a housemate wasn't all that bad.