#3 - Happy Birthday

Loving Unconditionally

"Tonight is supposed to be our special night!" Arielle could hear Luhan's pout over the phone. Arielle had to stay longer at work to finish up the last pending project before starting on a new one. She had been busy for the past few weeks too, even coming back home with more work to finish.

"I know, Lu." Arielle tried to think of something to comfort Lu. "I'll try to go home earlier alright?"

"But I've been staying at home doing nothing but stare at blank spaces!" She could hear Luhan shift to lie on the bed. "Why do you have to work on a Saturday!"

"Lu, I promise I'll be back by 8 okay?" Oh, how Arielle wanted to be at home right now, cuddling with Luhan lazily on the bed. "And then I'll fly back lightning fast."

"Alright... Don't overwork yourself, okay?" She hears a sigh through the phone. "I'll be staring at more spaces while waiting for you then..."

As Arielle hung the call, she somehow got more motivated to finish her work fast (if she wasn't already.) Luhan had been calling her every hour telling her how he misses her, how he's starving but wouldn't eat unless she's at home and how he's feeling so cold without her warmth just so she will rush back home but all of it failed.

Arielle rushed home as quickly as possible. She was expecting to see Luhan splayed over the sofa before noticing her and running towards her with his arms opened. She opened the door with a smile but there was no Luhan. She tilted her head in confusion. "Lu?" She called out but instead of Luhan's voice, she was answered with a loud clang. She quickly rushed towards the direction of the sound to see a flour-covered Luhan who looked dejected and spilled flour on the ground.

"What are you doing?" Arielle asked, scanning through the kitchen. There were flour everywhere. She noticed some cream and vanilla on the table too.

"Baby! You're finally back!" Luhan flashed his trademark cute eye smile at Arielle and was about to pull her in for a hug but she took a step backwards. Luhan stood blinking his eyes.  He looked like he was on the verge of crying. "What's wrong?"

Luhan's eyes followed the direction Arielle was pointing to and mouthed an 'Oh'. Arielle sighed deeply. "What were you doing? Why is the kitchen in such a mess!" She picked up the plastic wraps, the toppled bowl and a... piece of paper? She briefly glanced through the content of the paper. "You were baking a cake?"

"Wasn't that obvious?"

Arielle resisted the urge to slap her forehead. "Apparently, you intended to bake yourself."

"Are you gonna eat me then?" Luhan smirked. He rarely does that, but when he did, she couldn't help but blush.

"What do you think?" She smiled playfully. This made Luhan blush too, and she finds it really cute. "I'll bake the cake, you go clean yourself up."

Instead of doing as told, Luhan stood staring at her. "What?" She asked.

"I want to bake the cake."

"It's easier and faster if I bake it. You'll only make a mess."

"But..." Luhan looked hesitant to continue. Arielle directed a confused look towards Luhan. Luhan grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into his arms. Arielle squeaked out of surprise. "You had a long and tiring day today. I don't want to tire you anymore. I want to bake the cake for both of us. It is our special day after all."

Arielle likes the warm, fuzzy feeling she's having right now. It makes the heavy tiredness disappear. It's as though she didn't spend a whole day furiously marking a mountain of papers at a cramped table in the office at all.

She watched as Luhan tried to crack the egg, but ended up beating the shells together in a bowl. "You have to remove the shells, Lu."

She watched as Luhan dumped the flour into the mixing bowl. "You need to sift it, Lu."

She watched as Luhan fumbled with the sieve. Arielle chuckled at at the scene and smiled. "I'll just guide you along."

She cracked the egg for him, and left him to do the beating. "Mix the flour with the cream and the vanilla when you're done with that."

"Yes, mum." Luhan made a kiddish voice. She laughed and answered "good boy" which made Luhan grab a handful of flour and threw it at Arielle. She whined at the mess and glared at Luhan.

Luhan, noticing the ominous atmosphere, slowly moving away quietly. He quickly thought of ways to cool her down and eventually decided to make a fool of himself and tapped some flour on his nose. "Ludolph the white nose reindeer." He laughed in a cute way he knows will definitely make Arielle laugh.

And indeed, Arielle laughed at his adorable look before making a straight face when Luhan created a white beard for her. "You'll be my santa claus.

"Has anyone told you how cheesy you are?" Arielle tried to hold back a smile.

"Has anyone told you how much I love you?" Luhan stole a kiss from Arielle.

"Dude, have you forgotten I'm your babysitter?"

Luhan sat on the ground, looking at her with big watery eyes and pulling lightly at her fingers. "Oopsie. Me hungwy. Fweed me."

The two of them laughed and played around as Arielle helped Luhan with the cake.

When the cake is done, Luhan placed two candles, one pink and one blue, on the cake and lit them up. "Alright, on the count of three..."

Arielle held her hands up, ready to clap. "One... Two..."

"Happy birthday to me~" Luhan sang, leaving a surprised Arielle blinking at him.

"Hey! We were supposed to sing on three not on two!" Arielle pouted and hit Luhan lightly on his arm. "And why are you singing for yourself! What about me!"

Luhan laughed at her reaction. "Alright, alright. We'll do it again."

They sang the birthday song together and tried to harmonise but failed terribly. "Why hasn't anyone signed a contract with us for a singing career?"

"That's what I was wondering too." Arielle nodded her head in agreement.

"So... How does it taste?" Luhan looked at her, eyes filled with anticipation.

Arielle slowly tasted the cake, making weird faces purposefully. She scrunched her face and shook her head. "It is terrifying..."

Luhan's face dropped and hung his head down in disappointment. "....ly tasty! I am impressed." Arielle continued, smiling mischievously. "You're quite the baker, aren't you? Sans the part where you tried to 'bake' the cake on the frying pan and the part where you almost baked the spoon together and the part-"

Luhan stopped her words with a peck. "Happy Birthday, love." He said, in a low whisper.

"Happy Birthday to you too." Arielle smiled, moving in for a hug. 

Before Arielle could get another taste of the cake, Luhan pulled her away from her seat and led her into the bedroom. "Go in."

"What?"

"You'll enjoy it." Arielle blushed, thinking of weird stuffs. This made Luhan smirk. "Quick, I can't wait any longer." 

Arielle, still flushed, opened the door. She was greeted by a whole bed of roses and two teddy bears in the middle. She gasped in surprise and couldn't stop smiling as she jumped onto the bed, holding the teddy bears in her arms. "Thank you!"

Luhan joined her on the bed, hugging her the way she is hugging the bears. He whispered into her ears, low and gentle. "I love you."

Arielle snuggles into his neck, taking in his familiar scent. "I love you too."

"So... Are you gonna eat me?"