1. Hyung

Call Me Oppa

“Hana!”
You were so engrossed with the book that you’re reading that you did not hear the creaking of the door and the latching of the lock. Kai jumped on the sofa before you even snapped your book shut to check on the scratching. The effort to dodge was too late. Faulk’s A Week in December fell from your hands from the sudden dip of the foam and Kai’s long arms were pulling you into a headlock.

“Yah!” you said swatting his arms away, putting back your glasses in place. Kai was finally here. He was your college housemate and long-time friend and also a member of the famous Kpop group EXO. He seldom comes home to your Seocho-gu apartment since a dorm has been provided for the members near the SME building in Gangnam-gu. When he was drafted and started his training, especially after they’ve debuted, you almost have the apartment to yourself.

It was a relief to have him visit on breaks and during free days, sometimes the boys tag along too. But lately he’s been tagging with this one member you like most. Ah Hana, stop.

You were about to retrieve the book when you felt another set of hands on your both your shoulders. They’re definitely not Kai’s because that manchild was already stretched out in the carpet before you, wailing “massage, massage”.

When you turned, your cheek was poked by a finger. You looked up to the owner of those hands still firmly gripping your shoulders only to meet the world’s most adorable smile; gums showing and letting out a small chuckle. They were Xiumin-hyung’s.  He didn’t say anything. Instead he rested his chin on your head as you turned and glared at Kai. The latter was smiling sweetly but his eyes were shouting “mischief” from the inside of his pupils.

“Yah, Kai! You didn’t say Xiumin-hyung was staying over today. I should’ve cleaned a bit more.” You said to Kai. Flustered. But you felt Xiumin’s hands squeeze your shoulder before he let go, as if telling you that it is okay.

“I called you earlier.” Kai said nonchalantly as you replayed the phone call in your head.

--

“Hana. I’ve missed you. How are you? I’ll be home tonight. Could we have Xiumin-hyung stay over sometime, maybe for a few days? He’s been bored to death. We all are. We’ll be out for barbecue and stuff later, and maybe some soju. I could bring home food. Shall I see you tonight?” he blabbered nonstop.

“Breathe, Kai.” You say. “Of course, Xiumin-hyung could stay over. Tell him to bring a dresser along and to pay the rent too.” You said jokingly, as their elder’s visit has been so often lately. Kai had always known that secret crush you’ve cherished for his hyung ever since he was drafted for SME. He could tell that it was still there no matter how hard you tried to hide it. You could almost hear him suppress his giggle.

“When would it be?” you added but all you heard was Kai’s voice blabbering.

“Hyung! She said OK. She said to just move in already. Give me your flat and I’d give you the apartment with Hana-chan.” He shouted over to Xiumin. I could hear the boys’ faint laughter at the other end of the line.

“So what would you want?” He asked coming back to the phone.

“I’d have a bottle of soju, some samgyupsal and doekbokki would be nice.”

“Suho’s paying, I’ll tell that to Suho instead. Your housemate’s dead broke.” Kai’s cheery voice said. “I’ll see you ok? Xiumin-hyung says hi.” He said chuckling before the line went dead.

--

“Sorry, hyung. I was out of my head when Kai called. He didn’t say it was tonight already.” You said diving into the black plastic bag’s stash; a smaller plastic for the doekbokki, a bottle of soju, a plastic container of almost burnt samgyupsal, probably cooked by Kyungsoo-ah, and another that contained three pieces of fried chicken thighs. Kai’s favorite. You suddenly felt hungry. You looked up your superman wall clock and it read 9:12. Dinner time passed with just coffee in your stomach.

Meanwhile, Xiumin was going over his set of clothes, preparing to get changed for the night, his navy towel was over his head, like their MAMA costume hood. His hand was on the bathroom door knob, just adjacent to the kitchen, when you remembered your underwear from after you showered; it was still hanging on the towel rack. You raced Xiumin into the cramped bathroom, shouting your excuses just before he turned the knob and your hand fell over his. A sudden charge of bolt ran through you.

“What?” Xiumin asked, worried. Kai was already at the kitchen, drawn by your sudden commotion.

“I left something in there.” You aid shyly. “Sorry. It will be just a moment.” You entered the bathroom, grabbed your underwear and tucked them inside your oversized tee.

Xiumin, already realizing what you left inside, was suppressing his chuckle when you got out. “You know I wouldn’t mind, right?” Xiumin said playfully as he gave you a wink when you got out. He even ruffled your already messy hair before disappearing behind the door. You turned to see Kai, he was laughing red. Another blood rush and you ran to your room, face full of shame. Damn.

You were not usually this shy around Xiumin. This is because Kai seldom teased you. He was considerate enough to keep your secret and not blabber about it whenever Xiumin is around. But he’s been a determined teaser lately. Their visits were rather often now because their schedule after their Lost Planet concert was quite loose. Kai’s got more time to talk, even when Xiumin is around.

When you stepped out, Xiumin was out of the shower, hair still wet and he’s sporting a pair of loose-fit training pants and sleeveless top. His sculpted arms are showing as he put on plates and chopsticks on the table gesturing you to sit. The food were on the plates already.

“No rice cooked. I sent Kai to buy some. I think you’ve not eaten yet. Am I right?” Xiumin said, settling down in one of the metal chairs. And gave you a bowl of doekbokki.

“Thanks, hyung.” You said.

He smiled. “Seriously, when will you stop calling me hyung? You should call me oppa.” He said, knowing how you hate the aegyo that comes from saying oppa. You’ve been through this with the boys before. And only Kyungsoo could understand how it feels, he hates aegyo himself.

“And shall I call her noona then?” Kai, who sprung out of nowhere, said with a knowing smile.

You grabbed a towelette and threw it at him. Kai flinched but he laughed.

“See. It’s better that she calls you hyung anyway, Xiumin hyung. She’s manlier and rougher that I am.” Kai said as he puts down the plastic bag with instant rice. “I only bought two. I’m full anyway so I’ll hit the shower, then the sack.” He said walking into his room to get his towel.

You small talked your way through dinner as Kai went to shower. Commenting on Xiumin’s GEE dance with Luhan, pretending to kiss, his y solos, and their costumes. He’s got so many stories from the concert and their previous engagements across Korea. And you realize how many people adore this baozi-looking man.  You probably are just one of millions across the globe. You felt lucky you’re with him now and you couldn’t help smiling. Xiumin was smiling back at you, as if reading your mind and you lowered your gaze on the plate. He was about to reach out for your chin when you heard the bathroom door click. Xiumin retracted his hand.

“Good night!” Kai announced as he got out of the shower. Xiumin acknowledge his bid with a nod as Kai went behind you, gave you a headlock hug and a quick kiss on your hair before finally going into his room. He is sweet like that. “And hyung!” Kai peeked out from behind his door. “The DVDs are in my backpack at the sofa. Choose anything you want to watch. No stuff, okay?”

“Yah!” Xiumin said in reprimand as Kai drowned in his room’s darkness.

“Men.” you muttered. Living with two younger brothers and later on with Kai, you've have grown almost immune to such teasings. Almost. Still you felt your body temp rise.

After dinner you showered and decided to brew another cup of coffee. Xiumin sat on the sofa choosing among the DVDs Kai brought home. The boys loved to watch movies and it was on Xiumin’s suggestion that Kai brought some they had at the dorm. There was romance, horror and a few action movies thrown in the choices.

“Hana, do you want to watch anything?” Xiumin called from the living room.

“De hyung. I’ll just finish this.” You called back. The coffee maker was plugged in and the water was put in too. The coffee bag. You thought and looked up at the cupboard. The bag was placed near the rear end so you needed to tiptoe to get it, accidentally toppling several containers in the process.

Within seconds, Xiumin was with you in the kitchen  as he heard things falling over the counter. 

Here let me.” He said as your breath hitched. He was just behind you now, bodies almost touching, his breath against your hair, your back tingling from the proximity. He was the shortest of the members but still he was taller than you so it was easier for him to reach the cupboard. The bag was in his hands in no time.

“Thanks, hyung.” You said, looking over the coffee maker on the counter to avoid meeting his eyes. But Xiumin was determined. He held your chin with his free hand.

“Oppa.” He said. “You should call me oppa.” He said, walking over to the counter. You knew that Xiumin felt the tension and he tried to ease it with that joke. To no avail. You were hyper aware of him now.

“Ani. Hyung.” You said. “Hyung hyung hyung, Hyung hyung hyung, Hyung hyung hyuuuung dae.You sang to the melody of Growl, easing your own tension. “You know I hate the aegyo that comes with calling you guys oppa.”

“Couldn’t you make me an exception? Besides you’re cute.” He said still teasing.

Ah, Kim Minseok, you’ll be the death of me. “I’m cute enough. I don’t need more of that aegyo.” you said settling down on one of the metal chairs, looking over to him. How could a lovely face match that physique?

Of course he is far from perfect but his imperfections suit him well. How his height might have been a disadvantage but it places you in a level where your eyes were to meet his lips and, if you would, you could easily place your head on the nook of his shoulders. His strong arms were gentle, and his soft features were fierce if he wanted them to be. He is playful despite his age, the perfect balance of cute and manly. He gets that a lot. He is quiet but sometimes he is funny too.

You wondered about him while he pours two steaming mugs of black coffee. Your love of caffeine has brought you even closer, a level Kai (a tea lover) would never understand. You couldn’t help but smile at your own thoughts.

Xiumin notices you staring and he scrunched his face in an attempt to look cute. “Stop that.” you said, looking away. A girly giggle slipped your throat, betraying the front.

“See?! See that? You’re not even immune to my aegyo.” He said, feeling victorious.

You walked over to the sofa, coffee in hand. Throw-pillows occupied most of the space so you kicked them into the carpet floor. Xiumin laughing at your roughness.

“Where was that girl who possessed you earlier?” he said referring to your once-in-a-blue-moon giggle.

“She’s gone.” You said bellowing an imitated satanic laugh.

You decided to watch The Vengeance Trilogy. You’re already halfway through  Mr. Vengeance when you felt the first tug of sleepiness. Clutching one of the throw-pillows to your chest, you slacked further into the sofa with a yawn.  Xiumin turned with his eyes on you, questioning. You simply smiled at him, sleep slowly lining your lashes.

 Eventually, your eyes gave way. Next thing you know, his arms are around your shoulder pulling you closer to him. You were unsettled by the sudden closeness but he kept holding you anyway, determined not to let you slip. “Stretch your feet,” he commanded. You did and he draped his thin blanket over your legs. You were wearing your athletics short and a football shirt you stole from your brother’s closet. He adjusted his body so that you were resting your head on the nook of his neck and shoulders, your back to his chest. “Let’s just stay like this for a while.” He whispered, his left hand settling on your waist. A soft kiss placed on your hair.

“Hyung?” you asked half-awake, confused by his sudden attempt at physical contact.

His chest vibrated as he gave a small chuckle. “Shhh. It’s oppa.” He said again jokingly, endearingly.

It was your turn to laugh despite the headiness brought by sleep. But it didn’t remove the question hanging in your head. Your brain could only process his breathing, his smell, his warmth.

“Does Kai hold you like this?” He said, taking off your glasses.

You muttered “ani”

You weren’t able to process that either.

--

You weren’t sure at which part of the movie you slept but the next moment you opened your eyes, the living room was dark. Your head was resting on one arm while the other enclosed you in an almost embrace, a chest’s rise and fall reverberated on your back. Xiumin lay in a slacked sitting position, feet propped on the center table. You tried turning and when you did you gathered his silhouette, he was fast asleep, lips slightly parted. The movement sent him slacking further tightening his arms around you like one would a pillow at sleep. Your head was pressed against his collar his chest.

“Let’s stay like this for a while” rang in your head until all you could hear was your heartbeat and his breathing. Sleep overtook your senses once more.

--

“Oy! Wake up you secret lovebirds. Ah! I should’ve known your intentions hyung! Get up!” 

 

TBC