The Hunt

The Wolf Lily

"Luhan," Yifan's voice echoed in my head in the still darkness. "You know what you have to do. Don't disappoint me. I'll come back."
    Yifan...
    I held his picture between my fingers. The familiar dark figures in the photograph were me--the shorter boy, and Yifan--the taller one. My eyes scanned the black and white photo. Yifan's expression was the calmest I've ever seen it. His eyes at peace, lips curved--even if slightly--and aura...just...serene. I wished I knew how to make him look like that when he was looking at me. I kissed the photo, a weak waxy feeling on my lips. "No Luhan," I said aloud. "Kris is only your mate. He cares because he has to; not because he wants to."
    "Aigoo," I sighed and slipped the picture of me and him in my backpack.
    Today is the second anniversary of our hunt. We were simply dogs looking for prey. Nothing else. We had to find the WOLF pup that had gotten loose. The only one who had the ability to track was Yifan. However, Yifan has been gone for almost a year now. Wolves are loners, I know. But I never truly felt like a wolf. I've only ever been a caged lab rat.
    
    Chains bounded my wrists, ankles, and throat, all attached so I had to be careful even when moving my hands. All I remembered was a white room and people looking down at me from an upper story window. Even Yifan's eyes were the same type of darkness back then.
    For the first time in a long time the door opened and my eyes instantly rose to meet the newcomer, blonde hair falling into my eyes. I snarled showing my teeth. My father was standing before me with a tall noy with dark hair about the same age as me behind him.
    "Stop making that horrific face," Were the first words he spoke to me in many moons. "You have been chosen."
    "I care?" I spat at the man, whom I was supposed to call father's shoes. My eyes flashed red and the air tightened around my body. I wanted to kill him. My instincts told me to kill that man where he stood. Then, that was the only thing I wanted. But my chains prevented my powers from awakening.
    My father's gaze fell onto the boy. "Are you sure you want him, Yifan?"
    A simple nod. "I like his power."
    My father sighed and looked back at me. "You will be Yifan's mate. You will listen to him, and protect him no matter what. Understand?"
    A heavy, painful growl came from my throat.
    "You will address him as Kris, and in return, Yifan will give you freedom."
    My red slitted eyes fell onto the dark haired boy. Freedom... He is giving me freedom?

    
    I still remember how the air stung as the metal was removed from my ghostly skin. I can never do anything for Yifan ​like what he did for me. I owe Yifan my entire being. But I just can't stay in WOLF any longer. So I left.

    "Oppa, I'm fine,"
    What? The new feminine voice startled me as I was zipping my bag closed. I stopped halfway and looked around. I was on top of a factory roof, what girl could be dumb enough to climb onto a factory roof alone? I would be fine, but I'm a wolf.
    Sitting alone on top on a metal vent was a girl with long dark hair. She had a cell phone in one hand, and a telescope in the other laying on her lap. "No Oppa. You don't have to come. I'm just listening to music and watching the sky." Silence. "Oppa!" Her voice was shrill and high pitched. I leaned on my tip-toes trying to read her expression.
    A pebble rolled and bumped my shoe. I lifted my bag onto my shoulder and flipped off of the roof. A gun shot echoed in the distance. I landing on my feet. The girl from before was now crouching behind the vent and pressing the phone tightly against her cheek. Men in black masks were standing on the upper story of the roof I was sitting on, peering down at me, aiming at me.
    I rolled to my left, my cheek grazed by a bullet. Sound corrupted my vision and balance. When feeling began to return, the corner of my eye noticed something. Yifan's picture had fallen out of my bag and blown closer to the girl. If I went back for it then the WOLF grunts would find the girl. A low rumble came from my throat as I took off...away from my last reminder of my Kris.
    Thanks to her, I no longer had my picture of my Yifan.
 
    I grabbed onto the ledge of the building and swung down, kicking the window in. My fingers let go of the concrete rim and rolled in, arms in front of my face so glass didn't pierce my eyes. It didn't take long for the men in masks to catch up; but now, they were in my element.​
    "Hey," I smirked at the men. "I don't think my father informed you of much. You're just test subjects after all."
    "Test subjects?" The men sounded confused, though their faces were hidden. I didn't need to see to smell their fear. The leader of the grunts furrowed his eyebrows. He wore a red armband around his black gear. A symbol of his dominance.
    My father just wanted to see how strong my powers actually were. I bet he still had no idea that I wasn't planning on returning.
    I extended my arm, fingers pointing towards them. My pupils split in my red eyes and the cans of paint, nails, tools...everything flew off of the shelves in the warehouse. Going wherever I willed them. A tornado of scrap metal whirled through the air, cutting slivers into the men's skin and impaling them. When everything was over, and the men were dead I started towards the exit. I heard something like a grinding sound coming from behind me. I turned and saw the leader, crawling ever closer to me, leaving a red carpet of living water behind him.

    "Little brat," the man huffed.

   I smirked and walked back to him. A tool was lodged in his back, agonizing the man. I raised my foot and stepped on it. "I wouldn't call me that if I were you."

   The man yelped and bit his lip, losing even more of his precious life's water. "I know your true nature." He blurted out in one strained breath. "I...Know.." ....Nothing else.
    When I returned to the roof no one was there, nothing was there. I rushed to where I had dropped my photo. Hot tears filled my eyes, but I held back the sadness. My picture was gone. My Yifan... My Kris...
    The only thing left on the roof top were my bloody foot prints when I left.