Heartache

Breakaway

Seohyun found herself sitting in the consultation room waiting for Siwon. She decided that she will go forward with the surgery than to live with night blindness for the rest of her life. After all, there wasn’t anybody who would care if she did not make it. Or rather, those who cared were no longer there. Siwon immediately pushed back all his consultations for her when he received her call.

“Seohyun-ah, I’m glad you decided to come.” Siwon smiled as he walked in. “Oppa, I’m sorry I came off as rude the previous time.” Seohyun apologized. To be honest she felt a little guilty for showing her angry side. They were after all, concerned about her health. “It’s alright, it must be really hard to digest all in a day. A broken knee and eyes, anyone would have broken down.” Siwon said. “What is it that made you decided to come?” He asked. “I could not see anything yesterday, the walkway to my apartment was not exactly pitched dark, but I could not see anything at all.” She explained. “You know this is serious right? This is part of the symptoms, and from our previous lab test, you are at Stage 4 out of 5. You can go blind anytime do you know?” Siwon said seriously. 

Seohyun nodded her head. It was indeed out of her expectations. She did not know it was this serious. “I will do a checkup for you tomorrow, and arrange the surgery next week. Let’s not drag things any longer.” Siwon said, making arrangements as he dialed for a nurse to help him with the checkup.

Seohyun went to the organisation’s clinic to visit Jihoo when she was done with her checkup. She  wanted to check on his condition and also to inform him of her intention to go on a one month break for her post-surgery recovery. As she entered the building, she saw Yunho standing at a corner talking on the phone. She looked away, but he caught up with her. “Hey Seohyun-ssi,” Yunho smiled. “Hi Yunho-ssi, or should I address you as Mr Jung?” Seohyun said. Yunho laughed lightly. “So you found out about it? I’m sorry, I did not mean to hide my identity, I just didn’t think it was necessary.” Yunho explained. “So, you’re here to visit Jihoo? I see your knee has recovered already.” He continued, trying to keep on the conversation. “Yeah, it’s recovering fine, thank you. Sorry, Jihoo is expecting me, I need to go.” Seohyun said. She was getting uncomfortable with Yunho’s stare. He was being overly friendly, and she hoped she did not act out of the way, in case she got exposed.

“See you again, Seohyun-ssi, and take care.” Yunho said as they bowed slightly to each other. 

“Jihoo oppa! How are you feeling?” Seohyun asked as she entered the room. “Much better, Mr Jung came in a little while ago before you. I asked him and he told me that we have lost 5 of our men in this round’s dealing.” Jihoo sighed. “Are you blaming yourself? It’s not your fault. We always have this mental preparation for every dealings we go.” Seohyun said. “I know..it’s just that the thought of it makes me sad. How’s the rest?” Jihoo asked. “They are busy training for the next dealing.  I’m here to tell you something.” Seohyun said slowly. “What? As long as it’s not about quitting, you know I hate to deal with this.” Jihoo joked. “Well instead of quitting, I need to take a month off.” She revealed. “Why? Where are you going?” He asked. “I’m going for an eye surgery, my night blindness has finally affected my life.” Seohyun sighed. 

“What?! How did that happen?” Jihoo asked. “It just happened..so I need some time off to recover and hopefully able to see properly. If it fails, I might be blind for the rest of my life.” Seohyun said calmly. “Seohyun…you are not serious right..” Jihoo hesitated a little. Seeing Seohyun’s expression, he knew she wasn’t. “I will be fine, are you worrying about me?” Seohyun raised her eyebrow. “Ya! Of course, we have been on the same team for two years, of course I will be worried. Get well soon and come back quickly.” Jihoo smacked her arms playfully.

Seohyun laughed. Her heart suddenly felt warm, somebody is actually worried for her. But she also felt guilty, would she be able to give them away when she has collected sufficient evidence? She knew what would happen to them, and she was scared she would not bear to.

===

 “Seohyun.” Kyuhyun said softly as he entered her room at 12am. It was a day before her surgery and she had admitted earlier to prepare. Seohyun put her phone down and removed her earpiece as she sat up while Kyuhyun took the seat next to her bed. “You feeling alright? Nervous?” He asked gently. “Not really.. Besides, I don’t have anyone to answer to in my life. I doubt it will make much difference.” She said lazily, straightening her gown. “Of course there will be a difference, there will be people who will be sad but of course willing to take care of you.” He defended. “If…just if, it doesn’t go well, I will take care of you Seohyun.” Kyuhyun assured. “No. Why should you?” Seohyun said suddenly. “Because….you are important to me.” Kyuhyun reached out and took Seohyun’s hands in his. “I’ve promised your sister, and I will do it.” 

Seohyun pulled her hands away from Kyuhyun. “I’m sorry, but, I hope we can remain as what we are now, and nothing more.” She said, insistence in her voice. “If it was what happened, you know we can….” “No Kyuhyun, we cannot force love.” It was clear in her words. So clear, Kyuhyun wished he did not get her meaning. He felt a little hard to breathe at that moment.

“I will still insist, until someone whom you trust takes care of you.” He finally said after a few minutes of awkward silence. “Rest well, I will try to visit you soon.” Kyuhyun said as he left her room without waiting for her to say her goodbye. Seohyun closed her eyes as she sighed. It was better this way, she did not want him to have any false hopes.

Kyuhyun was Seohyun’s sister’s husband. They were forced into a marriage by their parents since both were childhood friends despite Seohyun and Kyuhyun were lovers but nobody knew about it. Seohyun decided that she will let him go after she learnt that her sister had feelings for Kyuhyun as well. Her sister has always gave her the best without any hesitation and she thought she should do the same for her. Of course, Kyuhyun went all out to reject but there was nothing he could do when Seohyun has already made up her mind. He was disappointed and a little angry, and he finally agreed to the wedding with her sister. They lived a normal and had Hana after a year and Seohyun was in love with her niece.

Upon receiving the news of Hana got kidnapped got to her, she was devastated but went to her sister and assured that she will bring Hana back safely and immediately requested to be part of the team to save the children who got kidnapped by the serial killer, despite knowing the danger she has put herself in. 

Her sister could not take the news when she was told that they failed to save Hana, she slit her wrist and bled to death. It was a double blow for Seohyun and she refused to speak to anyone for a month, taking a long break. It was only then she accepted the offer from the officer in charge of her department, to become a spy for the team under Kyuhyun’s lead to uncover the biggest drug dealer in the country. Kyuhyun tried to change her mind when he knew that she took up the role, but was rejected.

Seohyun knew Kyuhyun still had feelings for her, but she could not bear to be with him when she lost both her beloved sister and her niece. How would her sister feel? What kind of aunt would she be for Hana if she went back to Kyuhyun? Slowly, her feelings for Kyuhyun disappeared as she put all her focus on her work. 

===

The surgery went by smoothly, but it was still unknown if Seohyun’s eyes will regain its vision. They had to wait at least a week before she can remove the eye patch then review the status. For the one week living in the dark, she felt a little lost, and needed a lot of assistance especially on the first three days. On the fourth day, her phone rang and she forgotten the placement of her phone resulting her to slip off her bed while trying to feel for it. When she finally found it, she realized the caller’s voice belonged to Yonghwa.

“Hey, I heard you’re taking a month break for your eyes.” Yonghwa mentioned. Must be Jihoo, Seohyun thought. “Yeah, I was told I may go blind if I delay any longer.” Seohyun said, a little mocking at herself. “I will come and visit you.” Yonghwa offered. “No..it’s alright, I will be fine.” She said, afraid that something might go wrong when she is not in control of things. What if Kyuhyun and Yonghwa came at the same time? “Jihoo and I will be there on Sunday. Rest well, Seohyun.” Yonghwa said as he hung up. Seohyun sighed, why are people in her life so stubborn.

And Yonghwa did visit as promised, but he came alone. “Seohyun.” Yonghwa said as he sat down beside Seohyun. “Yonghwa? Jihoo-oppa?” Seohyun asked as she grabbed the sides of the bed to sit up and Yonghwa helped her little. “Actually, it’s just me. Jihoo had to attend to something last minute.” Yonghwa said. “Ah…thank you for visiting.” Seohyun said, not knowing what else to say. “How’s your condition?” Yonghwa asked. “Still the same, I will be removing the eye patches today.” Seohyun explained. “Today? Now?” He asked. “Yes, the doctor would be here anytime soon actually.” She announced. 

“Seo Joohyun-ssi. The doctor is here.” The nurse came in to inform her. Yonghwa stood up to make way for them. “Siwon-oppa?” Seohyun called as she heard a group of people walking into the room. “I’m here Seohyun.” Siwon said as he took her hand to let her know he was just beside her. “Seohyun-ah, we are going to remove the eye patch now, if you feel uncomfortable, just voice it out, alright? Just keep your eyes closed for now.” Siwon explained the procedures. “Okay.” She replied. Gently and slowly, Siwon untied the bandage surrounding her head and removed the eye patch layer by layer. When he was done, he placed the bandage on the tray a nurse was carrying. Unknowingly, Yonghwa stood still, feeling very nervous as well.

“Try to open your eyes slowly now.” Siwon encouraged. Seohyun hesitated a little, took a deep breath before doing so. To be honest, she was a little scared. When she opened her eyes fully, everyone in the room stared at her, as though waiting for an answer.

“Seohyun…can you see anything?” He asked cautiously, being mentally prepared for the worst. No response. “Seohyun-ah..” Siwon tried again. Yonghwa stared at Seohyun’s face, as though trying to read her facial expression to get an answer, but her face was as blank and unreadable. 

“I…I c-can’t…” Tears started to fill her eyes quickly and flowed down her face. Hundreds of possibilities ran through her mind when she realized her vision was still pitched dark. Or was she not able to see darkness as well? “Seohyun…” “I can’t! I can’t see! Oppa, tell me this is normal! Tell me this will go away!!!” Seohyun screamed loudly. Siwon tried to calm her down as he had the nurses hold her hands while he tried to check her eyes. Yonghwa walked towards Seohyun and took her into his arms, telling her repeatedly that she will be fine. Siwon decided that he will immediately contact the US side to ask for more detailed and possible impacts, as he left Seohyun in Yonghwa’s care. Seohyun could not stop sobbing, she was devastated, she was only 27, and her life ends here?

Kyuhyun stood outside the door, looking through the small opening. He was greatly affected as well, his heart ached for Seohyun, but he was sad because he was not the one consoling her when she needed someone the most.