>3

The Very Last

It was Sunday morning. Kyuhyun woke up and checked the time- 6:00AM, he jumped in shock at how late he was and rush downstairs. As he got down, he noticed that everyone else was half awake, but the house was cleaner than yesterday, breakfast was cooked and warm and dishes were all cleaned.

Everyone went to the table and started digging in. “This is nice, who made it?” one asked.

No one owned up to it, making everyone halt. “Oh no.”

“What?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Young Master. He’s over working again.”

“Where is he now?”

“It’s Sunday.”

“Oh.”

The day went on as normal and Kyuhyun decided not to wait up for Sungmin, who was coming home late once again.

~

Wednesday quickly arrived and Kyuhyun had had enough of the overwhelming curiosity, to where Sungmin went. When the latter left the house, Kyuhyun got ready and left a few minutes later, following the oblivious.

I’m only doing this because Boss wants me to get to know him. Nothing else. He thought. After 30 minutes of running after the bus, Sungmin got off to a strangely familiar place for Kyuhyun. He continued following him before arriving at a place, which held so much memory- an orphanage, or to be more specific, the orphanage Kyuhyun lived in 15 years ago.

“Teukkie Hyung.”

“Sungmin! You’re here.”

Kyuhyun saw them hugging before a little boy came up to them, holding a piece of paper.

 “Baro!”

“Sungminnie Hyung! Look! I drew a picture of you yesterday!” the boy beamed.

“Aigoo, that looks just like me. Thank you so much Baro.” Sungmin replied, even though the it was just a stick figure. The little boy squealed in delight when Sungmin proudly showed the teacher next to him who looked amazed.

Kyuhyun remembered how he’d show the teachers his ‘works of art’ and how they’d praise him like that, and it brought a small smile to his face. He came back to reality when there was a sudden tug on his shirt.

“Ahjussi, what’s your name? I haven’t seen you around.”

“U-Um,” Kyuhyun replied, looking out to see if anyone had seen him, before turning back to the boy, “I’m Kyu- Marcus.”

“Neh? Marcus? Is that a English name?”

He nodded, making the boy smile happily. “I’m smart aren’t I, Ahjussi. I knew your name was an English name.”

“Yeah, you are really smart. What’s your name?”

“Sandeul. But people call me Sandeullie or Deullie, and Sungmin hyung calls me Ducky. You can call me that too because you’re a handsome Ahjussi.”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “I’m handsome? But I think you’re even more handsome than I am?”

Sandeul squealed. “I’m handsome? I like you Marcus Ahjussi! Everyone calls me cute, but I’m not cute. I’m handsome!”

“Ducky, who are you talking to over there?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened in fright, since he knew he wasn’t supposed to be here.

“I’m talking to Marcus Ahjussi.” Sandeul said, before Kyuhyun could shut him up.

“Marcus?” Sungmin asked, walking out of the door to see Sandeul holding his hand. “Marcus! What are you doing here?”

“O-Oh, um, I was just visiting.”

“Visiting? Who?”

“The orphanage. It was where I grew up.”

“OH! Really? That’s cool! My parents used to fund this orphanage.”

“Used to?” Sungmin nodded sadly, but smile almost immediately.

“But now I do.” He looked at Sandeul, “You should get to class now, Ducky. Don’t want to get scolded by the teacher now do we.” He asked, winking at the younger boy.

He shook his head and ran after saying goodbye to his favourite teacher and his handsome Ahjussi.

Until 4PM, the two spent their time helping out the kids at the orphanage. Kyuhyun realised how Sungmin loved being around children, and it reminded him of his old friend, that had visited him once every week.

“Hey, you wanna do something?”

“Aren’t we doing something now?”

“Aniyo, that’s not what I meant. There’s no need to be here at 4:30 because its time for children to go to their rooms and do whatever. We come back at 7 to 9.”

“So what do you want to do in that 2 and a half hours?”

“That’s exactly what I’m gonna show you.”

Sungmin enthusiastically grabbed Kyuhyun’s hand and dragged him outside, bidding goodbyes to the others who were working there. They then went to the department store and Sungmin went around in a lot of shops buying different things, from food to kitchen appliances to clothes to even children toys.

“Why do you need all of that?” As he saw Sungmin struggling to hold the bags full of things he had just bought.

Sungmin smiled cheekily. “Come on! I’ve always wanted to do it with someone, but I never found the right person.”

Kyuhyun somehow felt intimidated by Sungmin’s mischievous smile and gulped, he then pulled out a huge green outfit, and when unravelled, it turned out to be a huge pepper.

“No no no no no. No way, are you telling to do what I think you’re going to tell me to do.”

Sungmin pouted, “Pleeeeeeease Marcus?”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No.” Kyuhyun refused to look at Sungmin, but accidentally turned to face him when he heard the latter sniffle. “Yah, are you crying?”

“N-No. I just want to do this.” He said, with his voice cracking slightly at the end.”

Kyuhyun ruffled his hair in frustration. “AISH! Fine, okay? But I get something in return.”

Sungmin wiped the tears away and smiled happily. “Yayyy! Okay then!”

With that, Kyuhyun slipped on the green pepper, and when he looked back, Sungmin had slipped into a huge orange pumpkin.

“What are we supposed to be doing?”

“What’s the time?”

“6 o’clock.”

“Come on.” He grabbed Kyuhyun by the hand again and led him outside the department store, away from all the attention they were getting, and into the out and open. They saw a homeless man in a foetal position, shivering from the cold, and Sungmin took out the blanket he bought, and draped it over the man, making the man look up in desperation. He then smiled and gave him a few cans of food. The man thanked them profusely , and Sungmin simply laughed it off.

Kyuhyun stared at the scene, and it occurred to him, that despite his mission to kill the other, and his role to hate him, everything that the latter did, always seemed to amaze him, and make him have second thoughts on his assignment.

They spent the next hour giving out useful goods to everyone on the street- children, the homeless, people who were simply at the café, chatting with friends and so on.

Sungmin had a radiant smile across his face. By 7, they made their way back to the orphanage, in their ridiculous suits, making everyone there laugh in entertainment. After playing with the kids, eating, and chatting with the other workers, they soon had to go home, and Kyuhyun was finally allowed to take off his costume.

~

“Sungmin!”

“Yeah?”

“Are you going to the orphanage again?”

“Shh. No one knows about thatm so you have to be quiet.”

“Sorry, but are you?”

“Huh? Uh y-yeah. See you later!” And with that Sungmin left in a hurry.

Kyuhyun was confused as to why he was in a such a rush, and decided to go with him to the orphanage again. It would be fun anyways, to meet everyone. Having forgotten the directions to the place, Kyuhyun had to follow him again, but it seemed like Sungmin had taken a new route.

Within a few minutes, they arrived, at a hospital rather than the orphanage. Kyuhyun was confused. Hd something happened to his parents? Maybe one of the kids had fallen ill and Sungmin wanted to visit them. Nonetheless, he went in and continued to follow the other.

Sungmin was soon called in by a doctor and Kyuhyun knew that something was up. He quickly got up and went to the secretary.

“Hi, I’m here regarding Lee Sungmin?”

“What about him?” She asked with no interest.

“Is there something wrong with him?”

“That’s confidential.”

“But he is my good friend.”

“Okay.”

“Can’t you tell me?”

“No.”

“What’s this all about?” a new voice interrupted, making the secretary jump and stand up.

“Dr Park. This man is asking about one of your patients.”

“Who might that be?”

“Lee Sungmin.” Kyuhyun said.

The doctor’s eyes widened. “You know about his condition?”

“Condition?”

“U-Uh come to my office.”

~

“What do you know about him?”

“Not much. But I’m worried. I’m his only friend, and I want to know if there is anything wrong.”

“Yeah. He hasn’t told anyone.”

“What does he have?”

The doctor sighed.

 ~

Kyuhyun ran out. Tears were threatening to spill. He didn’t know how such news can cause him to feel so defenceless like this, considering the fact that he had already seen so many deaths. He shuffled back home, ignoring everything, and as soon as he went home, he went straight to his bedroom and laid there, even though he had a job to do.

He didn’t know how long he just lied there, thinking about Sungmin, but it seemed like it had been a long time- almost 7 hours, as Sungmin eventually came home, gave a tied smile to Kyuhyun.

“You’re still awake?”

Kyuhyun mumbled a yes, before turning and burying his head to the pillow.

“Hey, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I just want to be alone.”

“O-Oh okay. Good night Marcus.”

~

Kyuhyun decided to take the day off, it wasn’t the first, since he was a lazy person, but Sungmin didn’t mind either. He made up his mind to go out for a walk, clearing his head and thinking about his assignment.

He aimlessly walked around the town, and his feet soon brought him to the alleyway across from the hospital. He didn’t know why he went there, and was about to turn around when he heard a very familiar voice.

“H-Hey what are you doing? Please stop.”

“We just want to have fun with you. Your kind are the ones we hate the most.”

“My kind?”

“Yeah. The rich. The spoiled. You guys are a disgrace.”

Kyuhyun heard a whimper, and he realised who it was. Sungmin. With that, he ran into the alleyway and without seeing who it was, he punched them across the face.

“YAH CHO KYUHYUN.” His eyes widened when he heard his real name, and faced them.

“C-Changmin?”

The sad person let out a humourless laugh, blood was running down his mouth. “Wow, the notorious Cho Kyuhyun is trying to protect the rich? You’ve gone too soft brother.”

“What do you want?” He growled.

“Nothing. Boss just wants to say that you have less than a week, or else you get it. Have fun with your toy, Kyuhyun,” Changmin snarled, then glanced at the boy on the floor who was facing the ground the whole time, afraid to look up, and smirked, “or should I say Marcus.”

With that, the group left and Sungmin looked up wide-eyed, “Marcus? What are they saying? Cho Kyuhyun? That’s you? What?”

“Sungmin...”

“What’s going on?!  Tell me now!” He screamed in confusion, fright and anger.

“You won’t trust me anymore after this. I can’t let that happen.”

“I don’t trust you now at the moment.” He whimpered, making the other flinch at the directness.

“You have to promise not to freak out.”

“Okay.”

Kyuhyun took a deep breath and began explaining everything. He explained about his name, his change of name, and most importantly, his assignment to kill him.

“You have to kill me?”

“Y-Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Because, the boss wants your parents to suffer.”

Sungmin let out a shaky breath. “So to make them suffer, you have to kill the person closest to them.”

Kyuhyun nodded, “Which is you.”

“And if you don’t kill me?”

“Then I die.”

“Must they be so harsh?”

“It’s how I’ve been living since I left the orphanage.”

“T-Then…” Kyuhyun glanced at him. It seemed like he was wanting to say something, but something was stopping him.

“What’s wrong Sungmin? I’m sorry.”

“Then kill me.”

“What?”

“I have no reason to live anyways.”

“Don’t say something like that. I’ll make sure that we both live.”

“Don’t you get it?! Everything already hurts. I’m going to die sooner or later. I already know that you know about my disease.”

“Sungmi-”

“I have heart disease, Kyuhyun. I have 2 weeks left to live unless someone gives me a transplant, and that highly unlikely. Didn’t my doctor tell you?” he whispered, as tears fell from his eyes.

“I don’t want you to die. I may sound selfish, but I’m not ready for you to die yet.”

“Why? You’re a freaking assassin. You’re supposed to kill. Don’t act innocent.”

This time, Kyuhyun was starting to lose his temper. “Don’t you dare call me that! I don’t even know why this has happened to me. I’ve killed so many people already, yet the mere thought of hurting you pains me.”

Sungmin was taken aback at what Kyuhyun had said, “Why? Did I do something wrong?” he asked quietly, still looking down and crying.

“Yeah you did.” Sungmin looked up, “I don’t know how you did it, but you managed to break down all those walls around my heart, that had I built up over time. You… Although my head still doesn’t want to admit it, my heart, it reminds me every day that I’ve fallen for you.”

Sungmin gasped, “What?”

“It’s true. It wasn’t meant to happen. I was supposed to complete this assignment ages ago, but I just couldn’t seem to do it.”

Sungmin broke into more tears. “No. Tou’re right. This isn’t meant to happen. I wasn’t supposed to get close to you. I had a perfect plan to leave this earth without anyone knowing. You can’t fall in love with me. I have to be alone. I can’t deal with suffering. Please… stop falling for me.”

“You think I haven’t tried? You think I wanted to? I tried so hard to forget about you! To think that this was just an act. How was I supposed to know that I’d fall in love with someone I have to kill? If I’d known, I wouldn’t have accepted this assignment. It hurts too much.”

“B-But, will it hurt even more if I said that I liked you too?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. “You do?”

He nodded.

“But, we can’t be together, I’ have less than 1 week left to kill you.”

“1 week’s enough for us to spend together right?”

“No. Why must there be a time limit?”

“There’s always a problem in every situation. I guess time is the problem for our love.”

~

The week had quickly arrived, and it was time for Kyuhyun to kill his boyfriend. He didn’t want to be reminded of this day, however there was a phone call that morning and a text message every hour reminding him to complete his project well and with success. This also didn’t come oblivious to Sungmin as he saw the anxiety and the worry in his eyes.

“It’s today right?”

“W-What’s today?”

“You know what.”

Kyuhyun sighed. “I can’t do it. I’m just going to pull the trigger on myself.”

“And let me suffer?”

“If I let you die, then I’m going to suffer.”

“I’ll die a week later from today anyways. We might as well get it over and done with.” He mumbled depressingly.

“We did so much together in the last week, if God gave is another week, it would be wonderful.”

“Just do it Kyu. We both know it’s going to happen soon.”

Kyuhyun reached for his gun and stared at it. He glanced at the silencer that was attached to it. Maybe he should detach it and so people would see that he’d kill Sungmin and be punished for it. His thoughts were cut short, when he felt a hand around his.He looked up to see Sungmin close to him. He pulled up his sleeve and Kyuhyun pulled the bracelet Kyuhyun had worn since he was young.

“Wha-” His sentence was cut short when Sungmin pulled off something around his neck, a heart locket. He took the key that was on Kyuhyun’s necklace and unlocked the locket, revealing kid versions of Sungmin and himself.

“Sungmin?”

“I saw the bracelet the other day. I thought that it was the key to my heart. I guess I was right.” He smiled. He then wrapped Kyuhyun’s hands around the gun, and pointed it to his heart, glancing at Kyuhyun with sad eyes.

“After I die, please help me with the orphanage.” 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to write the original ending and the alternate ending in 2 parts, in the next chapters so itll be easier if you want to skip an ending and stuff hahah xD