Prequel

The Very Last

“KYUHYUN! CAAATCH.” The said boy turned to follow the sound of the voice, but it was too late when he felt a hard football slam right in his face, in almost an instant, something thick and gooey flowed out of his nose. He held onto it to try and stop it from flowing out and faced the ground, as he heard his classmates run up to him.

“Why didn’t you catch it!” one of them screamed, “We could’ve won.” Others started crying because of their loss, and Kyuhyun continued staring on the grass. He felt one of the boys punch him on the head, and tears threatened to spill out.

“He can’t even play properly. Kyuhyunnie’s a girl.” They all teased.

The 4-year-old boy ran away and cried heavily, when he reached a quiet place at the back of the orphanage.

“Yah,” a girl shouted, “Why are you here? Can’t you see that’s where our dolls are? You’re going to break them!”

He stood up again and bowed, before trying to remember another place to stay, without getting scolded anymore. “Kyuhyun?”

“Seongsaenim.” He replied with a small voice.

“This place is out of bounds,” she said calmly, “please go play with the other boys.”

He shook his head and ran off again. Although he ran as fast as he could, he still managed to hear his teacher call him a ‘pitiful blind kid’, and it made more tears spill out.

~

“Sungminnie.”

He looked up from the bunny he was fiddling with. “Yeah?”

“Are you excited?”

“Yes! I’ll get to see sooo many other kids, that are my age, and we can play all day long.” He sang happily.

His mother still had a stern expression and she replied that he wasn’t to ‘mingle’ with any of the poor kids, making him pout in dismay.

They got out of the car, and Sungmin straightened out his little suit, and immediately ran inside the orphanage. He ignored his mother and father’s disciplined call and continued running, until they were out of sight.

After a few minutes, Sungmin realised he was lost, but unlike any other 6 year old kid, he wasn’t scared. In fact, he felt ecstatic that he was able to be independent and explore the place all by himself, besides, he had a phone that he could use if any dire situations were to happen. He casually walked around, examining the huge building that stood in front of him.

After a long walk, Sungmin became tired, and decided to sit for a while on an empty bench. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the peacefulness until he heard a little sniffing. His eyes opened quickly, and his heartbeat quickened. He scanned the place, but didn’t see anyone, yet he still heard constant sniffing.

“H-Hello?” He asked, slightly frightened. He was replied with a gasp and a quick shuffling. “Hey! Don’t run away, I just want to talk.”

The boy stopped and turned around. Sungmin saw that the boy’s eyes weren’t ordinary. His eyes were a crystal blue colour, and Sungmin was entranced in the beautiful eyes. He cautiously walked forward to get a better view of the eyes, and it seemed like the boy noticed it, as he stiffened and his breathing hitched.

“Hey, don’t be scared.” Sungmin whispered soothingly. He noticed the boy’s eyes rapidly move around and he shakily moved his hand up to his back and rub it, like how his mother used to do when he was crying.

“My name is Sungminnie. What is yours?”

“Kyuhyun.”

“Kyuhyunnie?” The boy shook his head.

“Kyuhyun.”

“No, it’s Kyuhyunnie!” He said gleefully. “You have beautiful eyes, Kyuhyunnie.”

The former faced him with shock written all over his face.

“Beautiful eyes?”

“Yeah! They are blue like the water! And they are big!” He said, rambling on about how pretty his eyes were.

Kyuhyun listened intently, and without knowing he started smiling. Sungmin stopped and glanced at his eyes again. “Wow! You should smile more Kyuhyunnie! Your eyes. They sparkle more than the stars that shine brightly at night.”

“Really?” Sungmin nodded, unknown to the other boy. “Everyone else hates my eyes… because I’m blind.”

“Blind?” Kyuhyun nodded and glanced away from the latter.

Sungmin didn’t know what the term ‘blind’ meant, but he didn’t want to appear stupid in front of his new friend so he replied with a simple, “Oh.”

~

“Ommaaaa.” Sungmin whined, trying to get his mother’s attention, after she had tucked him in bed.

“What is it?”

“What does blind mean?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“I just heard someone say the word blind, and I want to know what it means.”

His mother sighed, “It means that you can’t see anything.”

“But you have eyes!” he retorted back, remembering Kyuhyun’s eyes.

“Yes, but they don’t work anymore, because their eyes are now tired.” His mother replied.

“But can someone be blind when they are a baby?”

“Yes, it just means that their eyes are too tired to work.” Sungmin nodded, and kissed his mother on the cheek, and then bid her goodnight. His mother stared at him strangely before smiling and turning off the light, and leaving the room.

~

The next Wednesday, Sungmin woke up early and ran downstairs, shouting loudly to wake his parents up. Once they were up, he begged them to let him go with them to the orphanage again, and as soon as they agreed, he squealed and ran to the car, forgetting all about breakfast, and getting dressed.

After 10 minutes of convincing, he reluctantly got off the car to get ready. Sungmin chose on a casual t-shirt and shorts, since the suit he wore last week was too formal. He ate his breakfast in a record of time, and ran back to the car.

~

As soon as they arrived, like a repeat of last week, Sungmin got out of the car, and ran out despite his parent’s call. He went to the place, where he had first me the boy with the beautiful eyes and to his contentment, Kyuhyun was sitting there by himself, swinging his legs.

“Kyuhyunnie!”

“Sungminnie?”

“That’s me!” He said happily, but his smile soon turned into a frown of fright and confusion, “Hey, why are you crying?”

“Minnie left me for a whole week.”

“I-I’m sorry, Omma and Appa didn’t let me go me you.”

“Omma and Appa?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re not an orphan?”

“H-Huh? Oh.” He replied.

Kyuhyun stood up, ready to leave, when he was stopped by Sungmin holding his hand. “Why are you leaving?”

“People don’t like me because I’m blind, if you have parents, they won’t like me either.”

“Y-YAH who said that?!” Sungmin asked angrily.

“I heard the teacher’s say it, that’s why no one wants to adopt me yet.” He said sadly, before turning away.

“That’s not true! I’ll adopt you any day!” Sungmin retorted, still holding his hand.

“But you’re only 5. You can’t adopt me.”

“I’m 6. I may be too young to adopt you now, but don’t you worry! I will adopt you as soon as I turn 18!”

Kyuhyun smiled a bit, “You promise?”

“Yeah!” Sungmin replied, whole-heartedly. “Come on, let’s go sit back there.”

He pulled Kyuhyun along, and as soon as they sat, he tightened his hold, around Kyuhyun’s chubby hands.

He closed his eyes and smiled widely. “Kyuhyunnie! I can’t see either!”

He heard him laughed, and replied, “That’s because you have your eyes closed, silly!”

“No I don’t!” he lied. He opened his eyes and saw Kyuhyun facing him, as though he was genuinely staring at him. “Hey! That tree looks soo pretty, Kyu.” Sungmin said, pointing to the tree behind him, and forgetting that the latter couldn’t see.

“Tree?”

“Oh yeah! It’s really pretty.” He replied. He suddenly remembered of the boy’s disability and closed his eyes again.

“The tree is huuuuuge! It’s bigger than you and me put together,” he emphasised, “the bottom bit of the tree is hard and rough, I don’t like the feeling of it. But the top bit is big and fluffy with lots and lots and lots of leaves…” Sungmin paused, and with his eyes closed, he reached out to feel Kyuhyun’s hair. “It’s like Kyuhyunnie’s hair. It’s fluffy and pretty.”

“Are you saying that I’m a tree too?”

“No no, that’s not what I meant, Kyuhyunnie is prettier than a tree.” He replied, enthusiastically.

For hours, the two young couple would hold hands, and Sungmin would describe to him everything he liked, with his eyes closed, pretending that he was blind like his friend. Unknown to him, Kyuhyun was grinning happily for the first time since he was born.

~

Sunset soon came, and Sungmin had fallen asleep on Kyuhyun’s stomach. He was woken up buy a shake, and as his eyes slowly opened, he saw his mother angrily shaking him.

“Lee Sungmin. I told you specifically not to hang out with people like him. Why don’t you listen to me!” He shouted, slapping him across the cheek.

Sungmin cried, “But he’s different! He is-”

“Minnie?”

“Kyu!”

His mother scoffed, “Not only do you hang out with poor pitiful people, but you also play with this useless blind boy?”

Kyuhyun whimpered, and Sungmin pushed his mother. “He’s my friend! Don’t say that about him!”

“I don’t care what he is, we are leaving and never coming back.” Mrs Lee carried her wailing son and Kyuhyun stared there whimpering Sungmin’s name. He started sobbing and cursing himself for being who he was.

After what seemed to be 10-20 minutes, he heard rapid footsteps coming towards him. He tried to follow where the footsteps were coming from, but he couldn’t follow it.

“Kyu.” A whisper came, from next to him.

“”Minnie?”

He felt his arm get lifted up and a metal object was placed around his wrist. “Wha-”

“Omma won’t let me see you again,” he whispered urgently, “But, I’m still going to adopt you, okay? This is a bracelet. It has a key to unlock the heart that is on my necklace. I’ll make sure I won’t love anyone, but you, who is the only person that can unlock me heart.” Sungmin said, he was crying, but he tried not to let Kyuhyun sense it, although it didn’t work.

Kyuhyun reached up to feel his tears. “Don’t cry, Hyung. I love you too. I promise I won’t let anyone steal the key to your heart.” With that, they hugged and Sungmin had to run back again.

~

Sungmin was sobbing, after he came back from giving Kyuhyun his bracelet.

“Mrs Lee, I’m sure there is some other way.”

“There is NO other way. We are breaking this agreement. We are no longer funding this stupid orphanage. I will not let my son be with disgusting children in here. Call this deal, over.” Mr Lee replied venomously and within seconds, they left.

~

4 years later

Kyuhyun never smiled. He never spoke to anyone. He never did anything. Some said that he was depressed, others said he wanted attention. Kyuhyun didn’t care what they thought. He only wanted a certain someone. Minnie. That was all that he of him. Kyuhyun had forgotten who the boy was, he only remembered that they had made many good memories, and that he had the key to unlock his heart.

“Cho Kyuhyun.” He boy followed the voice and faced the person who was calling him.

“Someone wants to adopt you.”

~

He felt the cloth taken off his face.

“Now open your eyes.” He slowly did, and the first thing he say, was a searing light, entering the darkness he had lived in for 8 years.

“Congratulations, Kyuhyun. Your operation was successful.”

“What’s the colour of blue?” That was the first thing he had asked, remembering that the boy had always complimented his blue eyes. The doctor looked around the room and pointed to the blues that were all in different shades. Kyuhyun stared at the colour for a while. It was a pretty colour. He then caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror that was next to him. His eyes widened.

“What colour are my eyes?”

“Brown.”

“W-Were they blue before?”

“Yes.”

“I-I want them back.” He replied, his lips quivering a bit.

“What?”

“Minnie won’t know who I am anymore if I don’t have blue eyes.” He whimpered. Minnie. He quickly glanced at his wrist and saw a metal bracelet around it. It was a simple bracelet, but hit had a small key, that dangled on it. He held it up to eye level and sniffled. Didn’t you promise that you’d adopt me? Why did you have to leave me? He thought.

~

Kyuhyun was picked up by a chauffeur. He looked around, and saw a large object outside. The bottom bit was brown, straight, long and rigid, but the top was swaying from the wind. It was green and at times, the green would fly away along with the wind. He unconsciously held his hand up to feel his hair. Fluffy. Was this a tree?

“Appa?” Kyuhyun voiced out, when he arrived home. He was met by a slightly overweight man. He grinned, and Kyuhyun saw the yellow, and slightly rotten teeth.

“Don’t call me that. From now on, I’m your boss.” With that, he grabbed Kyuhyun to a large school-like building. “this is where you’ll stay. You will train here. You will eat here. You will sleep here. You will not leave, unless I say so. Once you are capable of doing things I want you to do, then I will give you your first mission.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ta-da!! the prequel!! It's quite short, i really didnt know how to end it soo Q_Q I'm sorry! I really tried to make it link with the actual story, but it really is quite difficult, so i apologize again.

Anyways, hope you'll tell me what you think of it because i really enjoy reading your thoughts about it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask ^^