Chapter 6

They Don't Understand

I woke up first around six. I sat up and scratched my head then remembered I was in Wonshik’s room again and looked to my left. The man was laying on his back with his mouth wide open and drool dripping down his cheek. I chuckled at him.

“You should sleep with more manners,” I said as I closed his mouth. I used his shirt to wipe away the saliva from his cheeks and then got up to get some clothes from my room before I shower and prepare breakfast for everyone.

When I got to my door I was glad to see it was wide open. I peeked in, knocking on the doorframe a couple times and then cooed at the cute sight I was greeted with. Sanghyuk and Hongbin were fast asleep, and Hongbin was spooning Hyuk. The magnae was smiling in his sleep. Probably dreaming about Hongbin.

I quickly pulled an outfit from my wardrobe and left to go bathe. After I did so and dressed in the bathroom I went quickly to the kitchen. What can I make for the four of us? There is certainly enough food here. I checked the pantry and grinned when I saw the box of waffle mix. Alright, I thought as I pulled it down. Western-style it is.

I went to work, putting eggs and milk in a bowl with the yellowy powder. I found myself humming as I stirred the yummy goop. I had a playlist of Wonder Girls songs running a loop in my head and I couldn’t keep myself from starting to sing aloud and dance a little to the melody.

“I’m so hot! Nan neomu yeppeo—oh!” I jumped a little and stopped mid-lyric when I felt Wonshik back hugging me. I didn’t even need to check to know it was him; his quiet laughter in my ear was enough to let me know.

“Jo eun ah chim, jagiya,” I could feel him smiling as he pressed a kiss onto my neck. I shuddered a little and he just chuckled and gave me a tighter squeeze before loosening his grip. I just exhaled quick ‘good morning’ back and went back to stirring my waffles.

“Oh spare me, please hyungs!” Wonshik let go and we both turned around to view a tittering Sanghyuk and a zombie-like Hongbin. At the thought of ‘zombie’ I immediately checked Wonshik’s face.

“Dammit, you washed it off,” I pouted and poked his cheek in slight annoyance. He just chuckled and pulled my hand down, holding it.

“Hell yeah I did, now who do I have to pummel for doing that?” he said towards HyukBin with any trace of the sweetness he just had in his voice disappearing completely. Sanghyuk and I immediately pointed to each other. Hongbin blinked a couple times before smiling widely at the rest of us.

“Oh good morning everyone!” he said cheerfully. None of us were drunk last night, but Hongbin definitely had the most to drink. No wonder it’s taken him so long to wake up. Hyuk poked him in the side, causing him to giggle and retreat slightly.

“Good morning, Hongbinnie,” he made a wide gesture with hands, “Welcome back to Earth,” he spoke slowly. Hongbin, being the only one to find that funny, laughed wholeheartedly and hugged Sanghyuk, burying his face in the blondness of the latter’s head.

“Oh spare me, please dongsaengs!” Wonshik mocked Hyuk causing all us to laugh but him. I let his hand go and lightly slapped his chest with the back of my hand and then turned back around to pour my waffle mix into the waffle iron.

“Okay, so who wants to help me make breakfast?”

“Ooh, ooh, me Hakyeon-umma!” Hyuk was by my side in an instant. If he had a tail, he’d be flying around like a helicopter by now.

“Okay. Well then you can start on the eggs,” I pointed to the fridge and he went there quickly and pulled the container out. I gestured behind me to Wonshik and Hongbin, “and you two go do something with yourselves; we’ll call you when we’re done.”

“Neh, umma,” both of them said. I glared and they surrendered and treaded up the stairs. I closed the iron and clicked the start button, and as I was walking to the fridge to find bacon, I decided to question my giddy, grinning dongsaeng.

“So Hyukkie…” He looked up from where he was cracking eggs over a pan.

“Neh, hyung?” his cute smile never faltered.

“How lucky did Hongbin-ssi get last night?” I raised an eyebrow suggestively and he whined and cracked another egg.

“Umma~ we didn’t do anything…” his face could put a tomato to shame as he pouted. I chuckled and bumped his hip with my own, making him smile slightly.

“I know, I know. You two really seem to like each other, though. You’re so cheesy it’s almost sickening,” I laughed again and flipped a few bacon strips. Hyuk sighed.

“Yeah, I know… but you and Wonshik hyung are just as cheesy!”

“Yah, no we aren’t!”

“You are, too! I swear you two are like something from a movie!”

“Well Wonshik and I aren’t dating.”

“Me and Hongbin aren’t either!” I just laughed and flipped one of Hyuk’s neglected eggs. He got the message and directed his attention back to the food.

“Touché, magnae. Touché.” We both finished cooking pretty quickly after that with small talk every now and again. Soon we had all the food plated and set out on the island in the kitchen. “Okay, Hyukkie. Could you go get them now? He nodded and disappeared upstairs.

I smiled to myself as I put some of the dishes in the sink and unplugged the waffle iron. I sat down on a stool at the island and checked the time on the stove. 7:43, it read.  Hyuk came bouncing down the stairs a few moments late with a grinning Hongbin behind him. I leaned over to check behind them as they sat down across from me. I didn’t see a third person.

“Yah, you know there’s another one, right?” I asked. Hyuk stopped giggling at whatever Hongbin said for a second to look at me, lost. “Where’s Wonshik?”

“I didn’t see him,” was all he said and then turned back around to his soon-to-be-boyfriend. I sighed and walked up the stairs to find him myself.

“Yah, Wonshik! Get your downstairs before your food cools too much!” I looked in his room, but he wasn’t in there. I shrugged and walked back down the hall towards my own room, only to find Wonshik digging around in the bottom drawer of my wardrobe.

I didn’t say anything and simply leaned on the doorway, arms crossed, wondering what the hell my friend is up to. He placed some of my clothes on top of something I couldn’t quite see and closed the drawer, dusting off his hands as if there was any dirt on them.

He stood up and turned to leave, and when he saw me he yelped and stopped back a little. I smirked.

“Geez, you scared me,” he chuckled shyly and advanced towards the door. I stepped apart and held my hands on either side of the door.

“What are you up to, sweetheart?” I smiled knowingly, even though I actually don’t know what’s going on.

“E-eh, I just wanted to surprise you. I promise I’ll tell you after breakfast, okay?” he tried with a small smile.

“Hmm. No, show me now!” I tried to get past him, but he just picked me up and tossed me over his shoulder, similarly to how he did when we first met. “YAH, put me down right now!” he ignored me and walked down the stairs. “I swear if you drop me, I will kill you!”

“Yeah, yeah,” I slapped at his back, but he only chuckled before getting to the center island and setting me down (quite unceremoniously) in my seat. I pouted and fixed my hair as he took the seat next to me. At least Hyuk and Hongbin were polite enough to wait. We all started eating then, mostly quietly, save for HyukBin flirting with each other every minute.

Sanghyuk looked away from Hongbin for a split second to peer at the stove clock. “Wow, hyung, we should really get going now, it’s almost 8:15,” Hyuk wiped his mouth with a napkin and stood up to put the dish in the sink. Wonshik stood and followed suit, and Hongbin and I just watched as we were in no rush.

“Thanks, Hyukkie,” he said and petted the kid on the head. He went upstairs and came back down in three seconds flat with a jacket slung over his arm. As he put said garment on he walked over to where I’m sitting. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders giving me a side hug and a lingering kiss on my temple, “And thank you for breakfast, baby,” he smiled and stood straight up again, making his way out the door.

“Wait for me, hyung!” Hyuk had been giving Hongbin a goodbye hug as well. He looked over to me just as he was closing the door, “Thanks for the food hyung, it was yummy!” I chuckled a bit.

“You helped make it, Hyuk-ah,” He smiled.

“Yeah, but you did it better!” Wonshik blared the car horn from outside, “Annyeong~” the magnae said and shut the door behind him. I laughed a little at my two friends. I turned back to where Hongbin and I were still sitting with our now empty plates in front of us. He gave me a small smile.

“Yeah, Hakyeon-ssi, this is pretty good. Thanks to you and Hyukkie,” I grinned at him using the nickname for my ‘son’.

“Yah, you better not try anything with my kid, Hongbin,” I pointed my finger at him, “You may be my boss, but I will dropkick you if I have to!” I glared and he didn’t know what to do. It took everything in me to keep from laughing at him for thinking I’m serious!

“U-uhh, yes… sir, I understand,” his eyes looked everywhere but at me and finally landed on the floor and choosing to stay there. I couldn’t hold it anymore and exploded in laughter.

“Ahh, Hongbin-ssi, you’re too serious,” I breathed as I wiped a tear from my eye. He sat totally still, afraid to make any move other than releasing a few cautious, fake chuckles. Oh no, I hope I didn’t just permanently scare the man! “Hongbin-ssi, really, I’m not serious,” I spoke slowly to him just as Hyuk had earlier, “You can calm down now.”

He smiled and let out a breath. “Alright, I guess I believe you,” I nodded and then looked at our empty plates as a silence fell over the two of us. “Hey, you want another waffle?” I asked, standing up to go get one for myself.

“Uh, yeah sure.”

“M’kay, hand me your plate,” I held my arm out behind me in his general direction without even looking at him. He gave me his plate and I put a new, fluffy waffle on each of ours. I sat back down, sliding his over to him. Both of us silently dug in again. After a few minutes of silent munching, he spoke up.

“Oh. Maybe we should get going now, we gotta get to the shop,” I nodded and collected the dishes.

“I’m glad it’s walking distance from here,” I said as I rinse out the juice glasses, “This way I won’t have to bother Wonshik to drive me every morning, y’know?” I smiled over my shoulder.

“Yeah,” he stood, pushing his chair closer to the island, “So, you ready?” I turned off the faucet and grabbed my hoodie off the loveseat in the living room.

“Yeah, let’s hit it,” I said, but just then my cellphone rang in my pocket. I halted in my steps and Hongbin’s hand was on the doorknob. I picked up the call.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Hakyeonnie, you haven’t left yet, have you?” Wonshik’s voice, obviously.

“Ah, nope, we’re still here.”

“Okay, good. I have a spare house key I keep in my side table upstairs in my room. You can just keep that for yourself since you’ll be going to work every day now.”

“Oh sweet, alright,” I was about to hang up, but then I thought of something. Putting the phone back up to me ear, I asked him, “Wait, yeobo.”

“Yeah?”

“Are you still driving?”

“Heh, yes, why”

“Don’t talk on the phone while you’re doing that anymore, pabo. I don’t want you to get hurt!”

“Hah, okay umma, I won’t.” He chuckled and hung up, obediently. I exhaled and looked up at Hongbin.

“Would you mind waiting for a sec? I gotta go get something.”

“That’s cool,” he waved it off and I went upstairs. I found the key exactly where he said and was back down in a flash.

“Okay,” I smiled, “We can get going now,” we both silently exited the house and I followed Hongbin down the street, making sure to familiarize myself with the path for tomorrow. Within fifteen minutes of idle conversation and dragging our feet, we arrived at the quaint little place. Hongbin shoved a key in the door and we entered.

This place needs a lot of work, I thought as I took in all the boxes on the floor for a second time. There isn’t even much furniture. Hongbin saw me observing and enlightened me.

“The shelves won’t arrive until next week, but I ordered some tables and chairs for the lounge and those should all be here Thursday. After all that I think we can finally open,” He smiled, proud of how his little business is coming along so well.

“So what are we doing until then?” I questioned. He bent down and picked up one of the thirty cardboard boxes grunting as he did so.

“Inventory,” he told me with a smile too wide for such a boring task. I complained inwardly as I took the box from him. Oh well, could be worse. I dropped the box on the counter with the register and walked around behind it, pulling out the first book and hopping up to sit on the counter. I held it up and looked to my boss who was sat on the counter next to me, starting on a box himself.

“Yah, Hongbin-ssi, how do I do this?” I gestured to the book and then to one of the two computers set up on the counter. He explained to me how to put everything, and I groaned at the tedious work, but started on it nonetheless.

“Y’know, we should get some music playing,” I looked up from typing, “Liven up the place, y’know?” I nodded.

“Sounds good,” he walked out the room and into his office returning shortly with a speaker and his cellphone in his hands.

“Heh, I’ll set up a real sound system when funds allow, but for now this’ll do, right?” He plugged in his phone and Ailee started blasting from the little speaker.

“You and ah ah ah ah I, you and ah ah ah ah I!”

I laughed at how loud the tiny thing is, “Yeah, this will definitely do!” I tried to yell over the music to the man standing right next to me.

“What?!” He leaned closer. I rolled my eyes and reached over to turn the phone’s volume down, thus decreasing it on the speaker as well.

“Nevermind, Hongbin-ssi,” he shrugged and got back to putting in book titles. Both of us worked in silence for about an hour. If we wanted to talk, we could’ve easily spoken up over the now almost faint music. He asked me something, and I almost jumped a bit, startled by the other voice.

“So, Hakyeon-ssi, how long have Wonshik and you been going out?” Oh yeah, Hongbin’s new, so we haven’t gotten the chance to drill it into his head yet.

“Ehh, we aren’t dating, Hongbin-ah,” he curled his lips and nodded slowly before that signature grin spread across his face.

“Ah, I see. So how long have you been married?” I almost fell off the counter. I know he said Wonshik was my husband earlier, but I didn’t think he really believed he was!

“No! No no no, we aren’t married either! We’re just friends; neither of us even likes each other romantically!” He furrowed his eyebrows and set the book he was inputting down.

“Huh? But then… what’s up with all the ‘honey’ this and ‘sweetie’ that? And the hugging and the kissing? If you aren’t a couple then what the hell does all that mean?!” he’s totally flabbergasted. I just sighed and continued typing in book titles as I answered.

“It just means we have a unique way of expressing our friendship. You’re not the first on to think we’re together, y’know?”

“Yeah I bet,” I ignored him and continued.

“They all mean differently between us than they do when used by other people, I guess… I dunno, I don’t really know how to explain it…” I looked down at my fingers that are now just pressing random keys. I exhaled and hit the backspace fifty times.

“Hakyeon-hyung,” Hongbin is trying to read my face. I guess he didn’t find anything because he started picking up books again, “Ahh… never mind, I’ll just ask later. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it right?” He chucked, but it was a forced sound. I shrugged, putting in the title in properly this time.  The day went on like that until 2:00 when my boss decided a nice lunch out was in order.

We got food at some noodle shop down the street and Hongbin said I could just go home for the day afterwards. I thanked him for paying the bill for me as well and we parted ways down the sidewalk. As I walked and the house came into view, I thought about how Hongbin looked earlier after I had told him about my apparently ‘weird’ relationship with Wonshik. It’s true that I only like him as my friend, but thinking back, I’ve never been like anyone else like that, not even Hyemi and we’d lived together for years. Wonshik and I were just kinda of automatically attracted to each other I guess, but I know for a fact that he feels the same way about me I do about him. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I saw I arrived at the house and quickly turned my key to enter.

As soon as I got in I remembered the happenings from this morning and darted up the stairs to my bedroom. What was Wonshik hiding in my wardrobe? I got to said piece of furniture and immediately started tossing clothes over my shoulder. I got all the way to the bottom and didn’t find anything. What in the world was he doing then? I pulled out my cellphone and texted him.

Me: Yah, what were you hiding in my wardrobe? It’s not there!

I spent a few minutes after that sorting through other things in my room trying to find anything new that he’d want to hide from me. My phoned buzzed in my pocket just as I was throwing my bed sheets around.

Wonshik: kekeke, of course I knew you’d search for it, so I kept it on me XP

I scoffed. This guy is such a troll. Oh well. I lay back on my bed and vowed to force it out of him later.

I guess I dozed off because when I opened my eyes it was dark outside. Rubbing my eyes, I sauntered out of my room and down the stairs to find Wonshik sitting on the sofa eating potato chips. I walked around and fell lazily onto the other end of the couch. He looked up and offered the chip bag to me, but I declined so he just shrugged and turned back to the TV.

“Hey, I still wanna know what you’re hiding from me,” I stated and he sighed, shoving another few chips in his mouth before muting the television.

“You’ll find out later, don’t worry about it.”

“Nah. Tell me now!” I demanded, but he just chuckled and turned the volume back up. Okay. He’s gonna get it now. I launched at him from my spot on the sofa, but he thought ahead and caught me by my shoulders. “Ugh, again with this?” I started squirming, but all efforts of escape were futile. “Why won’t you just tell me?” I tried aegyo this time, doing a ‘bbuing bbuing’ motion with my fist, and Wonshik finally caved and let me down. I climbed off of him and sat back where I previously was, crossing my arms over my chest.

He gave me a glare as he reached into his pocket, but I only smirked in victory. “Okay, here,” he handed me a couple slips of paper. My eyes widened and I squealed, bouncing up and down like Hyuk in excitement.

“Yayy, we’re going to the amusement park?!” he grinned and took the tickets back from me.

“Heh, yeah this weekend. I was hiding them until I could get two more tickets for Hyukkie and Hongbin. I think it’d be more fun with all four of us right?

“Yeah, I’ll tell him first thing when I get to work tomorrow!” I’m yelling now, I’m too happy to speak in a normal tone! Wonshik smiled and turned back to the show. I reached over and snatched the bag of potato chips from him. Not that I even wanted them, but I ate some anyway.

“Hey, you could’ve asked!” He sounded annoyed, but he was still smiling. He grabbed at the bag, but I lifted it over my head, out of his reach. When he tried again, I jumped off the couch and made a break for the stairs. He didn’t follow, but he yelled to me from his seat.

“Yah, you’re such a kid, Hakyeonnie!” I giggled, still pumped up about the amusement park news.

“Thanks, baby!” I called back before shutting the door to my room and jumping up and down a few more times. I stopped and ate a couple chips. “Meh,” I frowned at the bag, “I don’t really want you.” Onto the night stand they went. I don’t know how or when I fell asleep then, but I did. The entire time I thought about going on all the biggest, baddest rollercoasters.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

“Good morning Hongbin-ah!” I skipped through the doors of the book store and found my boss bent over behind the counter. With a grunt he surfaced, dropping an all-too familiar-looking cardboard box down by the computer.

“Morning, Hakyeon,” he checked his wristwatch, “Oh, good. Right on time,” he smiled and I skipped over.

“I’ve got awesome news!” I stood in front of him leaning over the counter with both my hands atop it.

“Ah, so do I, hyung. But you go first,” he gestured to me with his hand and I grinned largely.

“We’re going to an amusement park! All of us, Saturday!” I clapped and hopped up a couple times.

“Wow, that’s great. So…” he looked down before continuing in a much softer voice, “Sanghyuk is coming too then?” I laughed.

“What kind of question is that? We couldn’t take you without him. Wonshik said he’s going to buy the tickets for you two today.”

“Fantastic,” the wide smile returned, “Now my turn.”

“Go for it,” I told him. He opened the cardboard box and tossed me a piece of clothing. Oh, I thought there were more books in there… I unfolded it and saw that it’s an apron; brown with ‘Binnie’s Books’ in blocky, orange lettering. Hongbin grinned and gestured to the apron with both arms outstretched.

“Uniforms came today!” he did jazz hands and I chuckled, putting mine on. He grabbed another from the box and did the same. “Okay, now,” he handed me a stack of novels and I groaned, knowing exactly what’s coming next: “More inventory today!” Again, he gets way too excited for this stuff. I sighed and walked around to my computer, opening the sorting program.

Alright, Hakyeon. Only two days to go.


A/N: Hello~ well, not very much going on here, but Navi and Hyukbin are going to the amusement park! Yayy ^_^ I gave you a bit of cheesy morning Navi, too >.< Anything you liked let me know, anything you didn't like, let me know! :) Bye for now guys~