Chapter 5

They Don't Understand

We all sat in the car, no one talking except the radio show hosts. I looked out my window at the now beautifully lit up city. The windows in some skyscrapers glowed with a pretty yellow light, signs on restaurants and stores flashed and shimmered, and people stepped out of pretty-colored cars in elegant outfits. If there’s anything I love to see more than downtown in the day, it’s definitely the city’s nightlife.

Sanghyuk laid down across the backseat and fell asleep that way. I chuckled at the cute kid and turned down the radio so I could talk to Wonshik.

“So what are you gonna do with him?” I jabbed a thumb in the direction of the snoozing body behind us, though Wonshik kept his eyes on the road and couldn’t see. He shrugged.

“I guess I he can keep me company whilst you’re being interviewed. I really don’t have anything else to do anyway, so I guess it’s good he’s so stubborn,” he chuckled as he merged into the expressway traffic.

“Cool. I hope I do well…. Did he say I had to have any experience?” I worried a little now, and Wonshik furrowed his eyebrows.

“What, have you never had a job before?” I looked at my lap, embarrassed. I nodded my head, but then spoke up when I remembered he couldn’t see.

“Yeah, I haven’t…” he didn’t say anything for a few seconds, and had it not been for Miss A playing on the radio, the silence would’ve been suffocating.

“I don’t know if it’ll be that big a deal, and he sounded like a pretty nice guy. You gotta start somewhere, right?” he looked away for a second to smile at me reassuringly, and it did make me feel a bit less insecure about my blank resume.

I looked out the window, and time flew by. Soon we were driving down a street similar to the one yesterday. I noticed the bubble tea place we stopped at and waved to the almost-empty building.

“Heh, what are you doing?” Wonshik looked at me with a curious smile.

“Waving to Jaehwan.”

“Oh, did he see you?”

“I don’t even think he’s in there,” I laughed at myself and gazed out the window again. A few minutes later, Wonshik parked in front of a small building. I looked up at the sign that read ‘Binnie’s Books’.

“Oh, cool, we’re here?” A voice piped up from the back seat. Both of us turned over our shoulder to look at the now fully awake and alert Sanghyuk. “What are you waiting for, let’s go; it’s seven exactly now.” I looked at the clock on the dashboard and sure enough it is.

Hyuk opened the door and moved to get out. However, he was immediately yanked back as he’d forgotten to take his seatbelt off. All three of us laughed. Okay, so maybe he’s not all that alert yet…

Wonshik held the door for Hyuk and me and we all entered. Since the place is new, there are still boxes of books in some places and paintings leaning against the wall, waiting to be hung. Hyuk automatically gravitated towards one that looked like someone had flushed a rainbow down the toilet and taken a picture of it.

“Wahh, this is so nice,” he admired it, and suddenly a man appeared from a door near Sanghyuk. That must be Hongbin. The magnae was so wrapped up in the painting that he didn’t even notice when Hongbin walked over and stood behind him until he spoke.

“Yeah, it is, that’s one of my favorites,” Hyuk jumped dramatically and held a hand over his heart.

“Oh geez man, you scared the outta—” the boy stopped himself to ogle at the other man. Hongbin just smiled kindly at him, though I’m certain he could see all the way down Hyuk’s throat with the way the kid was gaping.

“Yah,” Wonshik attempted to snap him from his reverie, “Hyukkie, close your mouth; you’ll catch flies,” when he didn’t move, Hongbin chuckled, and it was truly a euphonious sound. He lifted his hand up to Hyuk’s chin and closed his mouth for him. Finally the magnae blinked and shook his head.

“Wow, you’re pretty,” Sanghyuk stated shamelessly. Hongbin looked curiously at him (why wouldn’t he?). Then Hyuk realized how that sounded and tried to fix himself immediately. “I—I meant that in a manly way…” the poor kid blushed and looked down to tangle his fingers together nervously. Wonshik stood next to me eating imaginary popcorn at the cute scene.

“It’s okay, I understand. Thanks,” he put his hand on Hyuk’s and stopped his trembling ones. Omo, they’re so fluffy! It’s so cute!! Hongbin held onto Sanghyuk’s hands with both of his own.

“Are you the one here for the interview?” he wore a hopeful grin, but Hyuk shook his head and nodded in our direction. Wonshik stopped eating air immediately.

“N—no, my hyung over there is. The red-haired one,” I waved and gave a small smile.

“Heh, hey…” it was Hongbin’s turn to blush now.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you guys there…” he let go of Hyuk’s hands and rubbed the back of his neck, walking over to me. “Evening. Lee Hongbin,” he shook both of our hands and then gestured for me to follow him. “We can have the interview back here. Don’t worry, I won’t take too long,” he looked back to Sanghyuk and winked, causing him to giggle madly. Yeah, I bet you won’t…

We stepped into a small room with a desk, and I assume this is what will be his office when the place is done.  He took a seat on one side of the desk and I did on the other.

“So,” he started. I sat with my hands folded, ready to answer whatever questions he had for me. “Well, thanks for applying, you’re one of the firsts to do so actually…” my eyes widened for a second, but then I nodded, quietly. “Uhmm, this is a bit informal, huh? I guess I should start by asking your name—”

“Cha Hakyeon,” I stated quickly. I probably looked really stiff right now.

“Okay. So why are you interested in this job?” his face was expressionless, so I decided that honesty was the best policy.

“I don’t have one, and the bubble tea guy said to ask here. I really don’t wanna keep freeloading off my friend.” He nodded, lips pursed.

“I see,” oh shoot, did I say something wrong? I guess not since he kept talking, “Well since you don’t have your resume, could you tell me a few skills you have that would be beneficial to you if you were to get the job here?” I thought about it for a minute.

“I color-coordinated my wardrobe at home, I’m always able to get people to do what I want them to,” though I don’t think I should slap the customers, “so I guess organization and being persuasive would be two definite ones,” I nodded at myself in approval.

“Do you have anything that would conflict with a daily work schedule? You wouldn’t have to work weekends of course.”

“Nah, I’m pretty much just a housewife right now,” I didn’t even think before I said that, but Hongbin didn’t seem to care too much.

“I see… well then you can go ahead and tell your husband you got the job,” he smiled and I squealed a little and kicked my feet. Cool, my first job! But hold on, did he just say—, “So you can start tomorrow. For now I could really just use some help unpacking, but once we officially open, you’ll be stacking shelves and working the cash register. There’s another employee that works here, too. Her name is Sunmi, and you two will have alternating shifts.” I nodded slowly, absorbing everything he’s telling me, “I’ll see you tomorrow at nine then?” he held out his hand and I automatically shook it.

“Yes, thanks Hongbin-ssi, I won’t let you down,” I smiled madly as I got up from my seat. He hadn’t let go of my hand yet though, and he pulled me right back down into it. I gave him a questioning look, but he just smirked.

“We aren’t quite done yet Hakyeon-ssi…” He let go of my hand and folded them atop his desk.

“What else is there?” I tilted my head to one side, and he leaned forward over his desk and spoke just above a whisper.

“What can you tell me about your blonde friend in there?” I chuckled as he pointed at the closed door behind me.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

I skipped out of the room, followed closely by my new boss, and looked for my friends. Wonshik was standing against a wall listening to Sanghyuk ramble on and on about how awesome Hongbin is.

“And did you see how he looked at me? Oh I swear I died a little,” Wonshik nodded numbly, but Hyuk didn’t stop. “He’s super y, hyung! Man, I can just imagine us in—” I decided I’d stop him before he any further humiliated himself in front of his new crush who was smiling foolishly right next to me.

“Hey, magnae!” both guys snapped their heads up to look at us. Wonshik burst out in laughter, and Sanghyuk quickly pushed him off the wall so he could hide behind him. I laughed and pulled him away from Wonshik and shoved him at Hongbin. The latter caught him of course, and Hyuk tried to hide his cherry-hued face in the only thing he could which just happened to be Hongbin’s chest.

“So did it go well?” Wonshik questioned me, and I tore my gaze away from the hugging couple.

“Yeah, I got the job,” I clapped for myself.

“Congratulations,” he smiled.

“Should we go celebrate?” He laughed a bit and looked over to ‘HyukBin’.

“Sure, we could. Hyukkie’s gonna have to stay over since his truck is still downtown, so—” I cut him off to jump around and squeal.

“Yayy! Slumber party!” The other three looked at me oddly as I’m now standing in the middle of the floor doing the cabbage patch. I smiled widely as I looked back over to Wonshik. “Baby, can Hyukkie bring his new boyfriend? It’ll be so much fun with all of us!” I clapped. Wonshik looked over to Hongbin who now only had his arm around the waist of a flushed Sanghyuk who was mumbling something that sounded like ‘we aren’t even dating, though…’ The two men shrugged at each other.

“If you and Hakyeon-ssi don’t mind—” Hyuk cut Hongbin off and joined me in fangirling. We held hands and jumped around in a circle.

“Sleep over, sleep over, sleep over!!” we chanted. Wonshik walked over to Hongbin and clapped a hand on the latter’s back.

“Guess it’s final then,” both of them smiled.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

All four of us were piled into Wonshik’s car. It only took five minutes to drive back to the house, and Hyuk and I bolted for the door as soon as we parked. Wonshik came and unlocked the door and soon we were all inside standing in the living room.

“Okay…” Hongbin eyed Wonshik oddly, “so what—” I interrupted.

“Hyukkie and I will get the party started!” I turned to my dongsaeng and put an arm around his shoulder, “Hyukkie you get some snacks and I’ll start up with the music,” he departed with a salute and made a beeline for the kitchen.

A moment later, we were all sitting, chatting in the living room with BTOB playing from the entertainment system. Bags of chips and assortments of other snacks were spread out on the coffee table, and Wonshik was just returning back again from the kitchen with drinks.

He plopped down on the sofa next to me and quickly joined in with the useless chat we were making. Hyuk was saying something to Hongbin about his favorite painters and I piped in every now and then only to ask questions like, “oh, is that the one who cut his ear off?” We all laughed with each other and Hongbin came up with a marvelous idea.

“So who’s up for a dance party?” Okay, so maybe he’s had one too many drinks… He turned the music off and replaced the disc with a Teen Top CD. Immediately he was doing a bad cover of ‘Be Ma Girl’ and Hyukkie couldn’t get enough of it. He was giggling and clapping along and eventually stood up and was moving along to the song with Hongbin. Wonshik and I cheered the duo on from the couch.

When they finished dancing alongside each other like idiots, they graciously decided it was mine and Wonshik’s turn. Hyuk grabbed me by my wrists and dragged me off the couch, and Hongbin did the same with Wonshik. We got into a groove as ‘Her Long Straight Hair’ began to play. I knew part of the dance, so when it got to the chorus I went mad, sloppily doing everything I knew. Okay, so maybe I had had one too many drinks, too. Oh, and Wonshik as well since he’s now singing the lyrics to me while playing with my hair.

After about ten songs later we were all drained and collapsed on the sofas. Hyuk was all over Hongbin now, literally. The two were on the long sofa, and Hyuk was using Hongbin as a blanket. It’s probably only a matter of seconds before they start each other’s faces.

“Hey, how about we watch a movie?” Wonshik offered and I nodded in agreement, as I currently have a mouthful of Cheetos.

“Let’s watch a horror film!” Hongbin voiced, only to be countered by his little blonde pillow.

“Nooo, I can’t do horror, let’s just watch a romcom,” Wonshik shrugged and looked to me.

“I don’t mind either, so I guess it’s up to you, sweetie,” I didn’t care either, so I just said the first one that rolled off my tongue.

“Horror,” he got up and selected a disc from the large stack on the side of the TV. Hyuk groaned and frowned because he lost.

“I’m going to go get some more candy,” he untangled himself from Hongbin and trudged into the kitchen. No one even bothered to ask what movie Wonshik had chosen and the opening of it was already playing. Hyuk came back with a bag of licorice and flopped onto the sofa next to Hongbin again, frowning.

I laid on the loveseat with Wonshik sitting up at the other end. I had my legs pulled up so I didn’t have to put my feet on him. But then I thought, meh, what’s it matter? And onto his lap my feet went.

“Yah, I don’t need your little Heechuls on me! Move!” he pushed my legs down.

“Hey, my Heechul socks are cute!” I put my legs back up. He pushed them off again, but I just put them up again. This happened five times before he eventually caved and let me do what I want. I checked over on Hyukbin and cringed at the cheesiness as I witnessed Hongbin feeding Hyuk licorice strings to keep his mind off the film. He himself was taking glances every so often.

By the time the film ended, Wonshik was asleep and Hyuk was on Hongbin’s lap, shaking like a leaf. “Hyukkie, it wasn’t that scary,” he tried, but the kid didn’t budge, instead choosing to nuzzle even further into Hongbin’s neck. He sighed and resorted to gently petting the younger’s back.

I turned my attention back to Wonshik because his snoring is starting to bother me. “Yah, wake up, pabo!” I nudged him in the stomach a few times with my toes and he stirred. Ooh, an idea…

“Hey Hyukkie?” I called over, and the blond looked up.

“Neh, hyung?”

“Wanna help me draw on his face?”

In the next second he was upstairs searching for markers.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

“Okay, I think it’s time to go to sleep, guys,” Hongbin put a hand on my and Hyuk’s shoulders where we were crouched in front of Wonshik.

“Who made you the leader?” Hyuk whined, but soon smiled as he couldn’t really be mad at Hongbin for too long.

“He’s right Hyukkie. We do all have work tomorrow,” I proudly stated, taking a glance at Wonshik who now looks like a zombie with Hyuk and my great art skills on display.

“Yeah, listen to your Hakyeon-umma,” he snickered and Hyuk gasped.

“How did you know about that?” I tapped Hyuk’s shoulder.

“I told him. Now we need to go over sleeping arrangements. You wanna stay down here and keep the sofa or go upstairs? I guess you two can have my room. It’s a queen-sized bed just like Wonshik’s so you won’t be crowded,” though for some reason I don’t think they’d mind if it was small.

“Cool, thanks, hyung,” Hongbin told me.

“But hyung,” Sanghyuk came closer so he could whisper in my ear.

“What about pajamas?” I could easily loan him a pair of mine, and Hongbin could probably fit Wonshik’s stuff. But I whispered back and said something else.

“I don’t think you two will need them,” I smirked and he blushed madly. I laughed and then gave him a hug in apology. No, I did not miss the glare I earned from Hongbin. “Now,” I pointed to Wonshik, snoring obnoxiously on the couch still, “Who wants to help me wake the human rock?”

Hongbin walked over to him and yelled in his ear, successfully scaring him onto the floor with a very unmanly scream. We all laughed and he glared at us, but we only laughed harder since he had the marker on his face.

By midnight everyone’s finally in bed. Wonshik and I did indeed lend Hyukbin night clothes. Those two decided to sleep in my room so I was forced to share Wonshik’s bed again. Not that I don’t like it more that the sofa, though. Said man had fallen asleep instantly when he saw the bed, so now I’m by myself. I sighed in contentment, closing my eyes and thinking about the day we just had. I fell asleep with the faces of my friends imprinted on my mind.


A/N: Okay, so kind of a shorter update today. Yay, finally HyukBin appears! I seriously fangirled at how fluffy I made Hyuk and Hongbin in this chapter, like I don't even know how I managed to keep going >.< As always, you guys will have another update next week, please anticipate it!

And OMG, who else is super excited for Error?!?! I can't wait for the release! I must have watched the teasers like a hundred times. And Hakyeon's showing off a bit of his forehead for once! ლ(☮╹◊╹☮)ლ (BTW, I'm VERY N biased for those who don't know) Kyaaa, I can't wait!! Okay, I'm done, bye now XD 

<-- click to see Error teaser!

Like OMG I can't even >.<