Chapter 3

They Don't Understand

I opened my eyes and took in my surroundings. Only thing was… there weren’t any; I was standing in the middle of a large black expanse and couldn’t see anything. This is so confusing, why is there no one here?

I took a few tentative steps forward and my shoes echoed on the floor that was seemingly as hard and cold as glass. I wonder if it is glass? I stomped my foot and sure enough, there was a crack. I tried it a few more times with every step I took forward. Each crack echoed louder than the last, and just as I was getting ready to stop another step, a crack sounded before I could cause it.

What the…? I stepped again, not even a sound. Now it’s really getting weird. The cracking behind me neared me slowly, but I couldn’t turn around, like I was stuck looking forward into the dark nothingness.

Crack… The floor started shaking.

CRACK! I started shaking. I called out, “Who is there? Don’t make me hit you!” I’m not usually one for hollow threats, but what other defense do I have? The voice that responded to me was deep and cold, and suddenly I was shivering.

“Don’t look behind you…” it growled. Of course I don’t obey it and immediately snap my head around to peer into glowing red eyes that could probably stare into my soul.

I screamed and fell back onto my back, and the floor shattered. I screamed as I fell, the creature’s maniacal laughter resounded all around me as broken glass rained onto my face.

I sat up panting and put my hand over my racing heart. I looked all around me and was relieved to see that I was still in my room. What the hell was that?! I was angry at my subconscious for trying to give me a heart attack. I glanced out the window and the sun wasn’t up yet.

I threw the heavy comforter off me and treaded out of my room to the bathroom to splash my face. I looked into the mirror and sighed at myself for getting so worked up because of a little nightmare. It’s okay, Hakyeon, nothing was real. I encouraged myself and walked back out into the hall. I was headed back to my room, but I walked past the other bedroom door and heard my housemate’s soft snoring.

I can’t get back to sleep anyway, so I decided to bother him. I opened the door and looked at him all wrapped up in his covers like a human cannoli and chuckled as I walked over to the side of his bed.

“Yah, wake up!” I lightly smacked his face and he stirred. I waited as he opened his eyes and gathered his bearings.

“Ugghhh… what is it?” it came out as a sleepy gurgle and I smirked for successfully annoying him.

“Get up. I can’t sleep and I’m lonely,” he glared at me through sleepy, squinted eyes. I cocked my hip and folded my arms, waiting. When he just stayed like that and I got no response, I raised an eyebrow. He groaned and flipped over so that his back was now facing me.

“Go away, I’m tired,” I pouted. I walked over to the other side of the bed, and his eyes opened to look at me when I walked in the opposite direction of the way out of his room. Another groan and he rolled out of the bed and stood in front of me.

“Great, so wha— eep!” I was silenced when he wrapped his arms around me and flopped back onto the bed. “What are you doing?” I started squirming and slapping at any part of him I could reach in my current predicament.

“I’m still tired, so If you want my company, you’re gonna have to shut it and man up until I’m done resting,” I could only blink at him, though he didn’t see since he’s closed his eyes again. I tried to wriggle my way out again but his grip only tightened.

“Lemme go!” I glowered at the half-awake man.

“Only if you agree to stay here and stay quiet,” he wasn’t really leaving me a choice was he? I harrumphed and agreed quietly. I’m still not tired, but he got me into the bed next to him somehow anyway. I just stared up at the ceiling and pulled the covers up to my chest. I looked to my left and the guy was facing away from me, sleeping on his side.

At some point his snores had started up again, and I felt my eyelids getting heavier. Fine I’ll sleep then, but I hope I don’t have any more nightmares.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

“YAH, Wonshik-hyung, you lied to me!” I woke up to the sound of a voice I didn’t recognize yelling at an obnoxious volume. Who the hell is he talking to?

I squinted a bit as daylight streamed into the room and it dawned on me that I’d fallen asleep in my friend’s bed. Oh, so his name is Wonshik? Nice. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. The guy I’d fallen asleep next to didn’t budge and was still snoring, except now he was lying on his stomach and drooling on his pillow. I looked away from him and up to the guy who was staring at me oddly.

“Uh, hi?” I offered, but the guy just kept looking me up and down through judging eyes. Dude was making me uncomfortable…

“Hey,” he said finally, “could you wake him up, please?” I’m assuming now that this is the friend Wonshik was talking about yesterday that wanted to see me. I nodded and put my attention back onto the noisy, sleeping figure.

“Yah, baby, get up!” I shook his arm harshly and he just grumbled and shooed my hand away. He didn’t wake up, though. I pouted and thought of another way to get him up. “Okay, but you asked for it,” I told the unconscious man before shoving him off the bed entirely. The other guy who I just realized was blonde was staring at me with his mouth gaping. I just smirked when Wonshik stood up and groggily spoke, not yet noticing the blonde guy.

“Aish, yeobo, what was that for?” he frowned and rubbed the back of his head. I just silently pointed to the third person in the room and his gaze followed the direction of my finger. He jumped a little and his eyes opened really wide. I couldn’t suppress a giggle.

“Morning, hyung!” the guy smiled and waved, politely.

“Sanghyuk, how the hell did you get into my house?!” Sanghyuk only shrugged. I just sat and watched the exchange from my place on the bed.

“I know where you hide the spare key,” he gave a cunning smile and Wonshik only huffed.

 “What time is it? You said you weren’t getting here until three.” I looked to the clock on the side table and it was almost one in the afternoon.

“My meeting got canceled, so I decided to show up early. So hyung, when are you going to introduce me properly?” he smiled to me and I offered a small one in return. I got up from the bed and straightened out my pajamas. I held out a hand and Sanghyuk shook it, and I took the liberty of introducing myself.

“Hi, I’m Hakyeon. Also a friend of… Wonshik here,” I looked over to said man and he gave me a look I couldn’t quite define. I guess he feels the same way I do about not learning each other’s names until today. Sanghyuk dropped my hand and looked at me with a smirk. It was weird, but I didn’t pay it any mind.

“Han Sanghyuk: Wonshik’s best friend and coworker.”

Wonshik walked between us and turned to Sanghyuk, “Well since you decided to intrude on us two hours early, you’re going to have to wait until we’re ready to go okay?” the guy pouted. Aww, he’s so cute! Like a little kid, I mentally squealed. Sure I pouted a lot, too, but Sanghyuk worked it better.

“Fine, I’ll be downstairs then,” and he turned and walked out of the room. I stood awkwardly behind Wonshik still until he spun to look at me.

“You can go shower first if you want, I gotta go stop him from breaking my DVDs again…” he chuckled and gave a short smile before leaving me alone in the room.

“Again?” these two really are best friends if Wonshik could stand him that much. I laughed to myself and then headed to the bathroom.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

“Would you two hurry up already?” Sanghyuk yelled back at Wonshik and me as the dude was practically jogging down the sidewalk. He’d said he wanted to take us somewhere fun today, and originally we were both skeptical, but we caved as soon as Hyuk pulled out his aegyo. Neither Wonshik nor me sped up. We just kept a steady pace as we walked alongside each other. I’d never really been in this part of the city before, so I was admiring all the cute little shops that lined this particular road.

Wonshik yelled up to the bunny rabbit named Sanghyuk, “Yah, magnae, you still haven’t told us where we’re going!” Sanghyuk only snickered in response.

“So he’s always like this?” I asked as we barely saw Hyuk turn a corner before following quickly before we were left.

“Heh, yeah. He can be really hyper, but he’s a sweet kid, y’know?” Wonshik offered a sincere smile and looked toward me. I smiled back and we just walked along staring at each other like idiots. Sanghyuk startled both of us when he yelled for the nth time in the last twenty minutes we’d been walking.

“Yah, why aren’t you two holding hands?” he has slowed so he was only a few paces ahead of us now. I tilted my head and asked him a question of my own.

“Why would we be?” he sniggered before looking Wonshik in the eyes. Said man scowled back at Hyuk’s smirk. He exhaled and then looked annoyed as he brought up a hand to rub his temple, as if Sanghyuk could give him a headache just by existing. I didn’t really doubt he could…

“Aren’t you two a couple?” Wonshik and I both stopped. I was stunned, did we really come across to people that way? It was kind of funny how our behavior towards each other looks like something totally different to others than it does to us. I guess Wonshik thought it was funny, too since we both were soon racked with laughter.

“Hyukkie, I already told you on the phone that we’re not,” Wonshik wiped away imaginary tears.

“But I saw you two in bed together!” could he have possibly said that any louder? Geez, now there are other people who have stopped just to look at the three of us funny. I reddened and hid my face with my hand as much as I could. Luckily Wonshik responded; I felt like I would throw up from all the attention we were all now getting.

“That doesn’t mean anything, Sanghyuk,” Damn right! He pointedly sent a glare out to the small audience and they slowly dispersed and continued on their ways.

“Aish, whatever,” I moved my hand back down as Sanghyuk continued talking. He stopped in front of a shop’s door and bounced up and down in his place, “Oooh, c’mon, hyungs, we’re here!” I looked up at the sign and saw we were at a small bubble tea café. I shrugged and walked in after Sanghyuk, holding the door for Wonshik.

The interior was quite charming with a cute color scheme of a cream and pale pink color. The first thing that hit me was the sweet scent of vanilla, and I immediately decided that it was the flavor bubble tea I wanted. Sanghyuk bounded up to the counter and nearly shouted his order to the poor, unsuspecting cashier. Though he just cut in front of two—now slightly upset—people waiting in line, he was done ordering before Wonshik and I took our places behind the other two customers.

“Hakyeon, what are you getting?” I looked up to Wonshik and then to the menu suspended above the counter.

“Ehhh, vanilla bubble tea and…” my eyes lit up when I saw my favorite dessert, “strawberry shortcake!” He chuckled a little when my excitement almost made me as hyper as Sanghyuk. This thought in mind, I stopped bouncing where I stood, cleared my throat and calmly stepped up to the register as the cashier called ‘next’.

“Hi, sirs, how may I help you?” I told her my order first and then Wonshik took his turn, ordering a piece of cheesecake and a chocolate bubble tea. I reached into my pocket when she told us the price, but Wonshik put his hand on my arm to stop me before paying for both orders himself. “Okay then, you two can seat yourselves and we’ll have someone bring you your order shortly.” We both thanked the nice cashier lady and took our seats with Sanghyuk, who had chosen a round table by the front window.

I nudged Wonshik in the arm slightly to get his attention. “Hey, thanks for paying for me. I promise I’ll give it back,” he smiled and shook his head.

“Don’t worry about it, baby; my treat,” I smiled back and we both turned to look at Sanghyuk, who I just realized saw that little exchange.

“Sooo, hyungs~” uh oh, I don’t like that mischievous glint in this kid’s eyes. I know he’s gonna pull up the couple topic again. “How long have you two been interested in each other?” I scoffed, and Wonshik rolled his eyes and propped his head up on his hand.

“Hyuk, would you stop with that already? I already told you: we’re friends, you loon,” I laughed at how exasperated Wonshik now was. I piped up in agreement.

“Yeah. He’s not really my type anyway,” I just said anything to end this conversation. I don’t really even have a type, actually. Wonshik looked at my quizzically, as if waiting for me to elaborate on what I’d said. Sanghyuk said something before I could tell Wonshik to quit looking at me funny.

“Oh, hyung, I almost forgot: did you start working on this month’s issue yet? You know you’re one of the main guys, and we all can’t really start without you and the other photographers.” I perked up. Wonshik’s a photographer?

“Oh yeah, I plan to start tomorrow. I’ve been looking for some good places online, and I found a few within driving distance. Don’t work, Hyukkie-ah, you can start reviewing soon.”

“Ahem…” I cleared my throat. They needed to be reminded of my very confused presence.

“Oh, mianhae Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk apologized. “We were talking about work, I know it’s boring, we’ll stop.”

“No, actually, it doesn’t sound very boring. Just pretty vague…” Wonshik chuckled at me and spoke up next.

“Oh, we work for the same art magazine. Hyuk reviews the photos I take. We’re partners,” he explained. Oh, that’s why there’s all those magazines and covers all over the living room…

“Well you guys’ work sounds fun,” I sulked a little. They both had a well-paying, and an enjoyable occupation. Lucky…

“Yeah it is,” Wonshik lit up as I had when I ordered my cake. Where are our orders anyway? “This month is on graffiti, and I’ve already found some recently tagged places. They really look spectacular; I can’t wait to get my camera out there.” He talked about it with such enthusiasm and genuine happiness. I smiled, seeing him so excited. “I bet you’d really like to see the locations I’ve found,” I nodded as he continued. I kinda tuned him out as I was simply memorized by how he spoke. So melodious…

“Hakyeon-hyung?” I came back to reality as Sanghyuk snapped his fingers in front of my face, “Did you hear the question, hyung?” I looked down to the table and reddened a bit. I felt embarrassed at how little attention I was paying.

“Ah, no, could you repeat it?” Hyuk just gestured to Wonshik, indicating it was his question. Said man asked me again.

“Yeobo, I asked if you wanted to come with me to work tomorrow,” Really? That’d be so cool! It’d be like a little tour of the city, or wherever we’re going…

“Yeah, it sounds like fun,” we smiled at each other and Sanghyuk exhaled deeply. I looked at him, confused.

“Ugh, I feel like such a third wheel around you two, maybe I should get me a boyfriend and see how you like it!” He pouted when he finished his little threat, and the three of us ended up laughing. When it died down, Sanghyuk asked me another question.

“So, hyung, we told you about our jobs, where do you work?” Way to kill my happy vibe, Hyukkie. I couldn’t really lie could I?  Wonshik already knew the answer, but didn’t say anything, probably trying to spare me of embarrassment even if only for a bit. I sighed and answered lowly.

“I don’t have any job right now, actually,” I didn’t take my eyes off the table. Sanghyuk’s response was a small ‘oh’ and Wonshik tried to cheer me up.

“Well don’t worry, you’ll find somewhere eventually,” he smiled and patted my shoulder. He’s good at making me feel better.

“Uhmm, excuse me” all three of us looked up to see the worker holding a tray of plates and cups, “Sorry to interrupt but here are your orders. I do apologize for the wait.” He set each order down on the table in front of its correct recipient. We each thanked him, but instead of leaving back behind the counter, he tucked the tray under his arm and said something else. “Oh, also…”

“Neh, Jaehwan-ssi?” Ohh, look at Wonshik being all observant and reading his nametag.

“Well, I also overheard about you,” he gestured to me and continued, “being out of a job right now,” oh how embarrassing. Does the whole shop need to know? I groaned and hid my face in my hands. Now people are going to think I’m the freeloader I am.

I only held my head up again when Wonshik pulled my hands from my face, letting one drop to my side and keeping the other one in his own. Great, more to convince Sanghyuk we’re together. I heard said Hyuk snicker right then, too.

“I wanted to tell you that my friend, Hongbin, just opened his own book store, and he’s got an open position there. I could give you the address if you want,” Jaehwan offered with a friendly smile. I nodded gratefully and said that it would be great.

He took a notepad from his apron pocket at scribbled down the address. I got it from him when he handed it over, and Wonshik and I both thanked him when he finally departed. I looked at the paper and saw that there was a phone number on it as well. I would’ve assumed it was Jaehwan’s but at the top he’d written ‘Lee Hongbin’ leading me to believe that all the information was belonging to said man.

Sanghyuk sipped his drink and wiggled his eyebrows at me, “Well, look like someone’s having a lucky day, huh?” I scoffed and started on my cake.

“Really? Working at a bookstore,” I ate mouthful and shuddered at the strawberry deliciousness, “what’s the difference between that and being a librarian?” I scrunched up my face and poked more at my food. Wonshik spoke in-between sips of his tea.

“Well you never know, maybe you’ll enjoy it,” he offered as he let go of my hand to eat his cheesecake. I shrugged. Oh well, beggars can’t be choosers, can they?

After about half an hour of chatting and munching on sweets we left the café, Wonshik not forgetting to leave a tip for Jaehwan on the table. Hyuk was bouncing even more now as we stepped out into the cool air.

“Okay, hyungs, on to the next stop!”  What, next stop?

“Hyukkie- ah, isn’t bubble tea enough fun for one day?” Wonshik complained.

“Wow, hyung, if you think like that your life must really be boring,” Wonshik pouted as me and Sanghyuk laughed at him. Once again we were following the magnae down the sidewalk, except this time we were all in a line and not running to catch up to the rabbit man.

I turned to look at Wonshik, still laughing a little. “Y’know, I might agree with him on this one; your life does seem boring,” I wasn’t serious. I mean, he does do his passion for a living, and that’s enough to make anyone’s life as exciting as it can possibly be. Wonshik stopped pouting and let a small smile grace his face instead.

“Yah, since you it’s not,” he laughed shortly and grabbed my hand again. Aish, he’s so weird. I decided to play with him a little.

“Aish, baby, you’re so cheesy; are you sure we’re not dating?” he opened his eyes wide in shock and was starting to pull his hand away, but he saw that I wasn’t being serious and started to laugh. I followed suit and we continued walking down the street again. Sanghyuk called to us, reminding both of us that he was there.

“Uck, you two are so squishy and fluffy it actually makes me want to hurl,” he emphasized his point by making ralphing noises and holding his stomach. This just made Wonshik and me laugh even more. He took his hand from mine and wrapped it around my shoulders instead.

“You know you’re just jealous, Hyukkie,” I leaned into his hold to prove the point and Sanghyuk just rolled his eyes at us before suddenly sprinting ahead.

“Yah, taxi, hold up!” he flagged the cab for us and it slowed, allowing the three of us to climb in, Hyuk in the front, and Wonshik and me occupying the back. As soon as we all clicked our seatbelts the driver asked where we were headed and pulled off back into traffic. Hyuk sputtered out some address I didn’t quite catch, and the cab took an immediate turn causing me to dig my nails into the seat in fear of being flung out the window due to the stereotypical reckless driving of a taxi.

Wonshik saw and I looked over to see him muffling his chortles with his shirt sleeve. I shut him up by slapping his arm girlishly until he stopped. As always, my signature move is successful. I mentally commended myself.

As soon as I stopped he asked a question to Sanghyuk, “Hey, Hyuk-ah where are we even going?” No answer came as Hyuk disregarded his hyung entirely. We all eventually just resorted to playing games on our cellphones and waited for the vehicle to stop.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

I guess I shouldn’t have been too surprised when we all arrived at the karaoke place. Hyuk tossed some bills haphazardly to the driver and skipped inside the building, not uttering a word to either of us and just expecting us to follow.

We did so silently as we got inside and noted our surroundings. Hyuk was already up at the counter paying for a room. The place had a red black and silver color theme with posters of idols and fake electric guitars hung in some places. The lighting was dim, but still bright enough to illuminate a walkway between the doors of the different rooms. There was music playing over the speakers and I immediately recognized the song as Heart Attack by EXO.

Hyuk finished and waved a hand in our direction. “C’mon, quit walking so slow!” He pouted and stomped his feet childishly as we caught up. “We have room 13,” he informed us. We arrived a couple of meters later and Hyuk squealed as he opened the door and stepped in.

Wonshik grinned as he looked at the song choices in a book on the table. Hyuk sat, bouncing up and down on the small sofa, and I leaned on the wall by the window.

“Hyuk, do you want to go first?” I asked, and the boy nodded so quickly I thought he’d shake his brain right out his nose.

“We can do most of these as duets, and there’s some trios in here, too,” Wonshik kept flipping through the pages.

“Sanghyuk, which song do you wanna sing first?” He didn’t even look at the list upon hearing my question. He jumped up and nearly squealed again.

“Hakyeon hyung, you and I can sing Girl’s Day together!” Wonshik flipped back a couple pages

“They have a few Girl’s Day songs in here, which one do you want?” he held the book up for Hyuk to read, and without saying anything, he turned around, inserting some numbers with the remote, and Female President started blaring into the room.

This time I got excited. “Ooh, ooh! I know the dance to this one!”

“Yayy, me too!” Wonshik shook his head and smiled at how childish we both were being and soon was laughing as we started to sing and dance along to the song.

We were having a blast, and then went crazy when it got to the chorus, pulling Wonshik up by either arm to join us in doing the funny wiggle move. He laughed and sure enough joined in, too, all of us now going ‘da da da dada da da dada!’ at the top of our lungs.

It ended and we were all out of breath just after the first song. Turns out, Wonshik knows the dance, too. I smiled and poked him in the neck a few times.

“C’mon, it’s your turn to do a song with me!” Sanghyuk pouted as he probably wanted a second turn in a row, but didn’t say anything as he plopped down onto the couch and watched Wonshik and me debate on what song to choose.

The evening continued like that; the three of us taking turns doing duets and trios. I was fun, and we were all upset when the announcement showed up on the TV saying we have five minutes left.

“Aww, it doesn’t feel like it’s been an hour!” the magnae whined, I pouted, and Wonshik shrugged.

“There’s no use being upset about it when we could be enjoying one last song,” the guy had a point. I stood up and grabbed the book from the table, facing Hyuk and Wonshik who were still sat on the couch.

“Okay, so let’s see what song we should sing to end with,” I said and then read off a few titles. Nothing particularly interested us so Wonshik made a random decision, picking up the remote and pressing a few random numbers.

We all looked at the screen, anticipating the next song, and we cheered when High High came on. All three of us started jumping to the beat. Wonshik took the first part, imitating G-Dragon’s voice.

“—T.O.P. class! I’m mister G, in the club, in mah B-boy shtance!” he laughed at how funny it sounded because that’s exactly how he says it in the song. I took the next part of T.O.P, Hyuk said a few lines, and then all three of us joined in for the chorus.

“High high! I’m so High! High High, up in the sky!” I hit the wall a couple times, I can’t stop laughing! Hyuk was holding his sides, trying to fight back the tears that came with intense laughter, and Wonshik was crouched down on the floor, letting his happy tears fall freely. We’d forgotten to do the next line, but we all stood up and did the arm movement for the next part. All three of us sang it again.

“Ha ha ha ha ha, say la la la la la. Ha ha ha ha ha,” and then finished it up with an unnecessarily loud, “Aaahh-ight!” I don’t even know how we got through to the end of the song because once it went off all three of us fell into a laughing mess on the sofa. The TV flicked off, indicating our time was done, but no one even cared. In an hour, we managed to have practically a week’s worth of fun.

Once all three of us calmed down, Hyuk was the first to speak, “C’mon hyungs, we should probably go before they kick us out.” I agreed and stood up, holding my hand out behind me for Wonshik to take and stand up. He took it and he did stand up, but didn’t let go. I barely noticed as I was still thinking about all the fun the three of us just had.

We all thanked the man behind the desk with a bow and continued out the door. Shortly after, we were all in a cab again, and the sun was now setting. We were in the same seating as last time, and Hyuk yawned is he leaned against the headrest.

“Uh, sir?” the cab driver had nowhere to go. Hyuk was so tired he didn’t give any destination. I chuckled at his forgetfulness. Wonshik saw the predicament of the half-asleep and unresponsive Hyuk and the frustrated taxi driver and hurriedly spit out an address. It wasn’t the address of the house, so I didn’t know where we were going.

“Baby, where are we headed now?” I look to Wonshik with a quirked eyebrow, and he just smiled and let his head fall back on the headrest, closing his eyes.

“We’re going out for dinner.”


A/N: Yayy! Sanghyukkie is here~  Tell me what you think in comment section please, you! <3 ^_^