With or Without

Drawback
Please log in to read the full chapter

The air was growing colder with each passing day, the leaves starting to turn different shades of red one by one. Yoochun wondered how long would it be before the trees became completely bare as he looked out of the office window. He hadn’t had a chance to talk to Junsu yet and didn't know where to start.

He had to talk to him. At one point. In the future.

‘Mr. Park!’

‘Uh?’ he looked at his boss in confusion, realizing that she must have been standing there for quite a while as everyone was staring at them, probably wondering why she had to practically jell at him to get his attention.

‘The report?’

'Huh?'

Ah, right. He was daydreaming again instead of working.

‘I'm- I haven't-' he tried to find some kind of believable explanation for his behavior 'Could I turn in early today? I’m not feeling so well. I’m going to finish this at home and send it to you later, ok? I promise’ he gave his boss the most reassuring and trustworthy smile that had always worked so far, praying that it would save him this one time as well.

Sure enough, it worked, and he left his job an hour early with all his colleagues wishing him health and happiness.

As he was driving home, he decided to call Junsu to make sure the other would come home early as well. After just two beeps the call was answered, Yoochun's ears filled with Junsu’s cheerful voice. He smiled automatically, without having to think about it.

‘You’re home, hun?’

‘Yeah, why you're asking? Do you want to eat something special today?’

‘Sure. I will be home early’

‘Ohlala’

No. No, no, no. He had to keep his mind on the serious issues, couldn’t think about all the fun they could be having instead. Damn that Jaejoong and his problems messing up his love life.

‘We need to talk’

Junsu fell silent, no response coming from the other end. Then he asked in a quieter vioce.

‘It's because of – that evening?’

Well, not really, but kind of.

‘It’s- it's not something to talk about over the phone, ok? I’ll be back soon, hun, please don’t worry. I just wanted to make sure you’re home’

‘Ok. Bye. Love you’ Junsu replied, awfully quiet.

After the short conversation, Yoochun felt worse than before. If he had wanted to be non-dramatic, this was not the way to do it. Now Junsu was probably worrying sick and making up thousand unreasonable break-up scenarios.

Jaejoong's dramatics were definitely rubbing off on him.


---


‘Wake up’

Huh?

‘Come on, wake up already!’

Someone was poking his side and shaking him. His head was heavy, pounding and killing off every thought that occurred in it. The world was dark and cruel.

‘Just throw him out on the street’ a voice said and he felt his body being rudely raised from his position. What followed was a collision with a hard, wet surface.

‘Oh. You’re pretty’ the same voice said close to his face as he curled up on himself, just wanting to sleep ‘a pity you’re such a slob’

With that the man left him alone and Jaejoong opened his eyes. He was lying on the cold ground in an alley of some kind of a bar he couldn't even remember going to. What had happened yesterday? A sharp pain shot through his head when he tried to move and he let out a strangled moan, feeling sorry for himself.

Yesterday had been one big mess.

‘A drink?’

His head was killing him, no memories of what had happened. He propped himself up on one knee and rubbed his forehead. He must be looking like because he felt like one.

After a minute of fumbling with his own legs, Jaejoong managed to stand up and look around with a somewhat clear vision. World was slightly spinning and, if he had actually eaten anything, he would definitely be throwing up now.

Staggering out of the alley, he had found himself on a street not too far from home. Well, god gracious, for once he was lucky.

Wrapping his arms around himself for some warmth, he started his way towards his apartment. Although it was cheap and dirty, he did feel somewhat safe there. It was still early in the morning and only few people were on the streets, none of them surprised seeing a coupe of drunkards just like him stumbling their way home.

It was freezing and he shivered, cursing himself for being a complete idiot. Because he was a complete idiot.

‘Let’s do it’

‘Eh? No. You're such a horndog but I don’t think I’m actually up for it’

What the hell had happened? He could sew together some bits of memories but mostly everything was clouded. Something had gone terribly wrong, he was sure of that, and it was probably what he deserved for going behind Yunho’s back like this.

So this was it. He had finally sabotaged his one chance at being happy.

Good on you, Jaejoong, good on you.

His phone started ringing, making his head explode in pain. Damn stupid loud ringtone he had chosen in earlier, easier times. Now it seemed like a nuclear bomb going off in the midst of the morning.

‘Yes, hello!’ he yelled in the phone as soon as he fished it out of his pocket. He felt unreasonably angry that this thing was so ing loud. The sooner he answered, the sooner he could stop talking.

'Hey’

Oh. Junsu

‘Hey, what’s up?’ he groaned, that being the best he could manage.

‘What’s up? What’s up?!’

Someone sounded slightly upset.

‘I’ve been trying to get ahold of you for hours, Jae!’

'Really?' he looked at the screen which showed around forty unanswered calls and blinked in confusion.

‘What do you mean really!’ Junsu was yelling so loud he would hear him even if he threw the phone away. ‘I’ve been calling you like bazillion times! Why didn’t you answer?’

'Well' Junsu seemed strangely upset. It’s not like he was usually so worried about his less than perfect lifestyle. What's with the sudden change? This definitely wasn’t the first time he had gotten himself in trouble or not answered his calls. Junsu was a couple of years too late to worry. 

‘I was-’ not sure how to best explain what he had done 'busy. Please don't yell’

For the sanity of Jaejoong, the voice on the other end softened, the tone more concerned than angry now.

‘You ok?’

Junsu was being really really weird now.

‘Yeah. I guess I am’

He guessed he most likely wasn't but this- such things- it was nothing to cry over, right? Weird how he felt like doing exactly that but Junsu was not the shoulder he wanted to cry on. These were things best dealt with alone. If he wanted pity, he shouldn't have thought about cheating. It was a bit too late for regrets.

'Another drink?'

Jaejoong shook his head, trying to remember but unable to hold onto a thought for more than a couple

Please log in to read the full chapter