Two Is The Lonliest Number

Turn Back Time

"Well I'll just tell you the good news. My photoshoot was cancelled so we can hang out at the beach until curfew."

Tao beams.

"Aren't you going to ask me the bad news?"

"No."

Tao already knows the bad news, and he doesn't want a reminder on this rerun.

The first time he lived this, he got in a fight with Kris.

He was determined not to argue one word with Kris tonight, or however long his time warp spell would last.

Could it last forever?

The car ride is filled with silent tension.

Kris drives fast and makes sharp turns around the winding roads before they reach their glimmering destination.

 

The wind in Kris's golden blonde hair reminds Tao of the sparkly sand. He wants to run his fingers through it.

"Wouldn't it be nice if we could fly away together?" Tao ponders, linking fingers with Kris.

"But you love it here," Kris starts.

Tao silences him with a kiss on the cheek.

Kris pushes him back.

"Tao what was that for?"

Tao shrugs and giggles, standing up to stroll.

 

"Tao, are you really fine with walking alone on the beach?"

This was new. Before the replay, Tao had not heard these thoughts Kris had.

"Why, I guess not. I want you to be with me forever."

Kris is silent.

They walk on the beach in silence and the invisible hand clutching Tao's heart tightens.

Tao feels like he is walking alone, and he wishes that his footprints will fade soon.

Tao holds onto Kris while he still can.

He feels that Kris is turning into sand, because the harder he holds, the more Kris slips away.

Then he heard the last thing on earth he wants to hear.