Chapter 8: The Beginning of An End

It Was Always You

Chapter 8: The Beginning of An End

The house alarm beeped, and light flooded the house as Yuri opened the door to her penthouse. She took off her shoes and put the bags down in the master bedroom. When she came out Stephanie was waiting for her in the living room.

"Go take a shower and get some rest."

Stephanie quietly walked past her into the master bedroom. Yuri took off her blazer and rolled her sleeves. She went into the kitchen and began to boil some water. She leaned against the counter, crossed her arms, and waited. The shower began to run, and Yuri closed her eyes.

What now?

After all these years being apart, and now that they're together—she didn't even know if she could even use that word. So many things happened, so much explanation needed, how do they go from here?

The boiler beeped softly and Yuri let it be. She massaged her forehead, trying to ease the ache that was starting to come back again. Her mind was in a mess, and she didn't know what to do. Then there was the convention center. What does Stephanie have to do with all this? Yuri hissed as the pounding in her head intensified.

"Yuri?"

A hand gently touched her arm and she straightened up, opening her eyes to Stephanie's worried face.

"Hey, I didn't hear you come out. Want some hot cocoa?"

She moved away to open the instant cocoa and poured the powder into a cup. She poured hot water and gave it a good stir. She held it out for Stephanie.

"Take it to the living room. I'll be there in a sec."

Stephanie hesitated, but took the cup anyway. Yuri made another for herself and moved to the living room. She sat down on the opposite end of the sofa where Stephanie was and sipped her hot cocoa. There was a sort of tension in the air Yuri couldn't describe, and the silence weighed down heavily on her. Stephanie put her cup down on the coffee table.

"Yuri, I need to tell you something."

She was silent for a long time, and Stephanie took it as a cue to continue, but Yuri cut her off before she could say anything more.

"Steph, you've had a long night. It's late. Get some rest. We have all the time to talk tomorrow."

Stephanie stared at her, and she could see the turmoil behind the brown eyes. Yuri looked away and got up.

She would love to take the conflict away from those eyes. But not tonight.

* * *

Yuri laid awake, tossing, turning, and staring at the ceiling. Sleep wasn't coming easily. She sighed, her side and closed her eyes, wishing her brain would stop thinking.

In the silence, she heard a voice. It was soft at first, and then it grew louder. And then it was a scream. She sprung out of bed and was in the master bedroom in seconds.

Stephanie was crying, and she screamed in her name in her sleep and thrashed about. Yuri was next to her in an instant.

"Steph."

Stephanie jolted awake, screaming still, and Yuri barely caught a swinging hand aimed for her face.

"Steph! It's me!" Yuri held onto both of Stephanie's wrists, trying to hold her down. "Relax, relax, it's me."

The younger girl stopped her thrashing and began to calm down. Her breathing slowed when she finally realized it wasn't a dream anymore.

"Yuri..."

Stephanie wrapped her arms around her neck and sobbed. Yuri held her tight and her head gently, cooing comforting words.

"Yuri, don't leave..."

"I won't," Yuri assured. "I won't."

That night, as she watched Stephanie fall asleep in her arms, Yuri wondered what nightmare haunted the younger girl in her sleep.

* * *

Yuri woke up to the light filtering through her blinds, and the sheets empty. She sat up. Stephanie's side of the bed was still warm. Yuri threw off the covers and went into the living room. The balcony door was left open, and she heard the faint hum of the morning city streets.

She stepped outside onto the cold stone tiles of her balcony. Stephanie was crossing her arms tightly as she stared at the dawn cityscape, her brown tresses blowing gently in the morning wind.

"Steph? What are you doing out here? It's cold."

Stephanie turned around, the gaze in her eyes beckoning her to come over. Yuri stopped when she was right next to Stephanie.

"Steph?" Worry underlined the tone of her voice.

Not knowing what to expect, Yuri let Stephanie step forward and wrap her arms around her own waist, her head resting snugly in the crook of her neck. She confusedly held the pale shoulders and the head on her shoulder gently.

“Wasn’t there something you wanted to tell me yesterday?”

Stephanie held on to her tighter.

“Yuri?”

“Yes?”

“Will you just, hold me…?”

Yuri held her close. Every move, breath, and touch in the silence of the cold morning air told her everything she needed to know.

* * *

Stephanie had fallen asleep again, still tired from the events the night before. Yuri had tucked the younger girl back into bed and took the opportunity to get out of the house. She contacted Mr Lee and told him to bring whatever information he had found. If her hunch was right, the information Mr Lee brought would just prove to solidify it.

She sipped her cappuccino as she waited staring into the empty space in front of her. Thinking, and yet not at the same time. What’s her next step?

The chair in front of her was dragged back, and Mr Lee in his usual tan trench coat sat down in front of her as he slipped off his gloves.

“Morning Ms Kwon.”

“Morning Mr Lee. Would you like anything to drink?”

“No no, I just had my cup of tea this morning. Is there anything I can do for you today?”

“As you know, Ms Hwang is currently staying at my place.”

“Yes.”

“This is just a hunch, but I’m guessing she will be having a meeting with her...employer, within the next few days.”

“How are you so sure Ms Kwon?”

She shrugged. “Just a hunch. Will you keep an eye on it?”

“Yes, Ms Kwon.”

“Also, did you have the thing that I asked for?”

“Yes, it’s right here.” Mr Lee reached inside his trench coat and pulled out an envelope that he slid across the table. “Is there anything else?”

“No, Mr Lee. That will be all.”

The detective stood and tipped his hat politely. “Have a good day, Ms Kwon.”

“You too.”

Yuri snatched the envelope and opened it hurriedly. She hoped her hunch was right.

* * *

Yuri stood outside the museum, constantly checking her watch. She jumped on the balls of her feet trying to keep herself warm, excited to meet Stephanie. She looked around, trying to spot her amidst the crowd and smiled when she saw her shouldering her bag, walking towards her.

“Hi,” she said, grinning.

Stephanie smiled. “Hi. Why are you grinning like that.”

“Because I’m happy to see you.”

Stephanie looked at her as if it was a weird thing to say.

"What are we doing here?"

"Going to the museum, of course."

"But what for?"

Yuri leaned in. "For a date."

Pleased that she had caught Stephanie by surprise, she grabbed the younger girl's cold hands and pulled her towards the entrance.

- - -

Somewhere in the middle of looking at the art pieces, Stephanie separated from her to look at other pieces. Yuri turned around and found her on the other end of the room in a corner staring at a huge, hanging art. Without a thought, she made her way towards her, and when she was close enough, grabbed the pale hands and slipped her fingers between cold ones.

Stephanie looked at her. Yuri smiled.

"What?"

"You're acting weird."

"I'm just happy I can be here with you, holding your hand, and stealing kisses from you."

Yuri swiftly leaned in for a peck before Stephanie could even register what happened. The younger girl stared at her incredulously, and she just smirked playfully.

"People are looking."

Without taking her eyes off Stephanie, Yuri replied, "There’s no one in the room."

Except for the young man in the other side of the gallery, Yuri knew there wasn’t anyone else. Stephanie looked back at her with a look that didn't want to admit defeat. Yuri laughed and leaned in for another kiss. A bolder one this time, lingering just a little longer as she cupped Stephanie's jaw. She pulled away slowly, teasing Stephanie on, feeling Stephanie’s cool, ragged breath as she trailed after her. Yuri pushed her back easily. She smirked at the look of frustration on Stephanie’s face. She jerked her head towards the room.

“People are looking.”

The loud echo of footsteps in the hollow gallery and the squeals of children signaled the arrival of the other visitors. Stephanie looked at her in disbelief as she scanned the room. She pulled the younger girl close and moved to the next exhibition with a triumphant smile on her face.

* * *

Perhaps it was the unanswered questions and silent implications behind gestures that crept into the air—they lapsed into a tense silence at the end of the day, the only words exchanged was when she asked if Stephanie wanted some tea when they got home. She clutched her almost empty mug tightly.

"Yuri?"

"Hmm?"

She looked at Stephanie who had her eyebrows furrowed staring at the floor as if it had the words she wanted to say.

"Yuri, I..."

"It's okay."

Stephanie closed and wrung her fingers together on her lap.

"It's okay if you don't want to explain now. It's okay if you don't want to say anything. It's okay."

She tried to smile reassuringly as she could, but anyone could tell she was desperate for answers. So desperate she just wanted to grab Stephanie and demand it out of her. But both of them needed time. The answers would have to wait. Yuri stood to put away her cup, but Stephanie grabbed her wrist and pulled her close. She reached for her other wrist and held them. She kept silent and held her head down for so long it gnawed at Yuri. Then she started shaking, and Yuri felt cool water drops on her hand.

“Steph…?”

Stephanie’s words were so soft Yuri almost missed it.

“I’m sorry, Yuri…I’m sorry…”

Yuri guided the cold hands around her waist and pressed the crying girl to her shoulder. The arms tightened around her.

“I’m sorry,” Stephanie repeated. “I’m sorry…”

Yuri her head gently.

“It’s okay.”

- - -

It took her a while to convince Stephanie to stop crying, and another while to convince her to get ready for bed. When she stepped into the bedroom Stephanie was on the bed, hugging her knees underneath the covers. Yuri closed the door softly behind her and sat on the edge of the bed.

“My father was an alcoholic,” Stephanie began, “and he was a gambler. He owed a lot of people money, but he never stopped. He would find someone else to lend him money and he would gamble it all away again. He eventually used up all our savings when no one gave him money any more, and when that was gone, he was desperate to find someone who would. He found Mr Cho, and he agreed to give my father the money, if he could return it all within half a year. My father agreed. He wasted it all. Drinking…gambling…and when the time came to pay up, he couldn’t.”

She hugged her legs closer and shivered, recalling haunting memories that wouldn’t leave her.

“The men came knocking on our door one night. My father refused to open it. They broke it down and charged in.” Stephanie paused slightly as Yuri watched the scene appear before her eyes. “They beat him up. The begging and screaming didn’t stop. When it was silent there was blood everywhere and my father wasn’t moving anymore. They took me back, Mr Cho he-”

“That’s enough.” With the ruthless and cunning ways he ran his businesses, Yuri knew how exactly they got this point.

Stephanie grabbed her when she got up to tuck her in. “Yuri, what are you going to do?”

“Stop him.”

She pulled her in. “Yuri you can’t. What Mr Cho wants, he gets. He’ll kill you!”

“He can try.”

“Yuri please.”

“Thank you for telling me.”

She kissed her firmly and slipped away before Stephanie could catch her.

Now all she needed to do was put an end to this.


A/N: I know I haven't updated in a long time, I'm sorry! It was a combination of no motivation to write, writer's block, and life. I make too much excuses for myself, but I hope you are happy with the update! ^^ the story will be ending soon!