Chapter 6: The Space Between Us

It Was Always You

Chapter 6: The Space Between Us

“Yuri…!” Someone grabbed her shoulder and shook her. “Damn it Yuri, wake up!”

The hand didn’t stop shaking her, and Yuri scrunched her eyebrows at the pounding in her head that was getting worse with each shake. She groaned.

“Damn. How much did you drink Yul?”

“What…?” she croaked.

“I haven’t seen you drink like this in a while.”

She tried to open her eyes, but the bright lights made her squint instead as she tried to make out who was in front of her. She moved her head, and groaned again when her neck hurt from the awkward position her head was in.

“What time is it?”

“Midnight.”

Through her blurry vision, Yuri made out Taeyeon’s form kneeling down in front of her with a concerned face.

“Is the party over?”

“Almost everyone is gone. Just a few of your father’s close friends are here. Come on, let’s get you to your room.”

More conscious, she tried standing up with the help of Taeyeon, leaning her weight on her friend’s small frame. Taeyeon silently supported her the short distance down the hallway to her bedroom.

“What happened to you? I thought you said you were going to the garden?”

Yuri massaged her head.

“I did.”

“How did you end up in your study? Was Stephanie here?”

Yuri furrowed her brows. “How did you know?”

Taeyeon chewed on her lip. “I saw the folder…”

Yuri cursed.

“Yul—”

“I don’t want to hear it.”

“You have to let go of her.”

“I can’t!” she burst, grabbing onto Taeyeon’s shirt. “Taeng, I can’t let go. She was the one thing that made me happy, and no matter how it hurts I can’t let go.”

For the second time that night, Yuri crumbled to the floor, crying. Her hands were cold, and her chest hurt, and it drove her crazy that the one person that could make her feel right again was the one who is breaking her.

“Yul…”

“Taeng, it hurts…” she sobbed. “It hurts so bad I don’t know what to do.”

Taeyeon held her quietly. It was okay that she didn’t say anything. She just needed someone with her tonight. Anything to help with the pain.

* * *

Yuri woke up to the sunlight streaming through her sheers and a still pounding head. Groaning, she turned towards her nightstand, where Taeyeon had set a glass of water and painkillers. She reached out for the white tablets and gulped them down with the water. They weren’t going to help that much, but it was better than nothing. She took her phone on the nightstand and opened a message from Taeyeon, sent earlier during the day.

Meet me at the coffee shop when you get up. It’s important.

What could her best friend possibly want with her that was so urgent?

She threw the covers off and got up from bed. Her vision spun and her head felt like someone was pounding her with a sledgehammer. But staying in bed would be worse; she needed to keep herself busy, take her mind off things. It was the only way she knew to cope. Whatever it was she was trying to cope with.

* * *

The coffee shop Taeyeon had asked to meet her in was her favourite. It was a hole in the wall, obscure, but good. Their coffee was aromatic, and the ambience was homely.

She saw Taeyeon at a corner, facing the entrance, talking to someone Yuri couldn’t see.

The barista greeted her, and she ordered herself a macchiato as she made her way towards the table.

“Taeng.”

“Yul, you’re here.”

“Who is…” Yuri caught herself when she saw the stranger sitting across from her best friend. “Sunny.”

 “Hi Yuri. It’s been a while.”

* * *

Yuri closed her eyes. She tapped a finger against the side of her cup erratically. It was a bad habit of hers when she was thinking, and nervous.

Taeyeon had tricked her. The midget had quickly excused herself after her arrival, explaining that she had an appointment with another client, and thought that they might want “some time alone”. She knew Yuri wouldn’t have been open to this idea, so she just…set her up.

Damn that one sly midget. The next time I see her I’m—

“So…how have you been…?”

Her tapping stopped, and she opened her eyes. She cupped her warm mug of macchiato, nodding.

“I’ve been…good. What about you?”

“Good.”

“That’s good…”

Yuri gripped her mug. What can you say to the best friend of the person who was running away from you?

She her dry lips nervously. “I’m…sorry if Taeyeon troubled you for calling you out like this. Seeing how she just texted me earlier, it must’ve been a rush for you too. I mean, you must be busy.”

Sunny smiled and shook her head. “It’s fine. I happened to have a free schedule today, and it seemed like she wanted to meet up for something important. I agreed, for old time’s sake.”

“You can’t take Taeyeon’s words that seriously.”

Sunny laughed softly. “But I think we had the same interests in mind.”

“And that would be?”

“Concern for our best friends.”

Yuri took a big gulp of her macchiato. She had asked for extra caramel today, but it still left a bitter aftertaste in .

“Do you…is—” Yuri cursed. There were so many things on her mind she didn’t know where to begin. “Sunny, how is she?”

“Stephanie?” Yuri’s silence cued Sunny to continue. “Well, it depends on which perspective you’re looking at. Physically, she’s fine. She goes to work, she eats, she drinks; she lives her life like any normal person. Emotionally—mentally—I don’t know. There are days where I find her at my door, drunk senseless. She sleeps over sometimes, and she would wake up in the middle of the night crying, screaming. I know dreams about you, because she whispers your name in her sleep. She smiles like everything’s okay. But deep down inside, she isn’t whole anymore.”

Yuri squeezed her mug.

“Why does she pretend like she doesn’t know me when she’s around me?”

Sunny shook her head. “I don’t know myself.”

“I don’t understand…”

“You know Stephanie always does things with a reason.”

“But what reason does she have to pretend like we’re strangers?” Yuri raised her voice.

“I don’t know, Yuri. I wish I knew.”

Yuri shook her head. Nothing made sense. Why now? After all these years, why appear now? So much time had passed; she had forgotten what it felt like, to have her heart beating so fast, so excitedly for someone. Now that it all came back, the feeling hurt.

“You know she still loves you.” Sunny’s voice was barely a whisper.

“Did you know…? How she ended up—”

“A stripper?”

Yuri winced at the word.

“No…she wouldn’t tell me even when I asked…”

“Did she tell you why she came back to Seoul?”

“No. But I know you’re part of the reason.”

Yuri stared at her half empty mug of macchiato. She wanted to see Stephanie, to talk to her, figure things out, for things to go back to what it once was. But it all seemed so impossible.

“Yuri, Stephanie may distance herself from you, but that’s the last thing she wants.”

Her hands tightened around her mug.

“How do you know that?”

“I’m her best friend. I know.”

“I don’t even know what I should do…”

“Go talk to her.”

Yuri scoffed. “You make it sound so easy.”

“I hate to see Stephanie like this. I’m sure Taeyeon feels the same way. All this, it isn’t easy, that’s the reason why you have us. Taeyeon and I, we’re always here for you.”

Sunny placed a warm hand on her cold one. She looked up to see Sunny’s smile, one she returned gratefully.

“Thanks Sunny.”

“Anytime.”

* * *

Yuri stopped her car and let out a long sigh. She looked out of her window at the back entrance of Allure. It had been a week—of torturous longing and tumultuous thinking. She wasn’t ready to face Stephanie yet. Not now.

Irene who had been waiting for her by the entrance opened the door, bowing.

“Evening, Ms Kwon. Your father is waiting for you upstairs.”

“Thank you, Irene.”

Yuri moved through the club easily, avoiding the crowd as she made her way to the second floor. She stood in front of the VIP room, hearing her father’s loud laughter. She knocked and opened the door. She saw her father, his face already red from alcohol, Mr Cho pouring him another shot with one hand, his other hand on Stephanie, smoothing over her body, touching her—violating her. She clenched her jaw as her gut twisted in disgust.

“Ahh Yuri, you’re here. Come, take a seat!”

It took all her will power to stop herself from grabbing Stephanie, pulling her out of the room, out of this forsaken place, into the safety of her embrace—her protection.

She slowly took her seat next to her father, directly in front of Stephanie. Yuri looked at her, and she must’ve looked pained, because Stephanie turned away from her gaze guiltily.

“Yuri, it’s wonderful for you to come join us!”

Yuri tore her gaze away and forced a smile. “I’m glad to be of company, Mr Cho.”

Mr Cho cackled sleazily, almost maniacally, and leered at Stephanie with dark, lustful eyes. “Our Tiffany here has been doing a good job at keeping us entertained, haven’t you my dear?”

Stephanie smiled shyly as she allowed Mr Cho to burry his face in her chest, hitting him playfully.

“Dad, why did you call me here?” Yuri turned to her father.

He took one last swig on his drink and placed the glass down, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

“You know we’re having some investment problems lately.”

Yuri narrowed her eyes.

“Yes.”

He sluggishly motioned to Mr Cho.

“Mr Cho has graciously decided to help us to convince the investors.”

“What do I have to do with this?”

“You’re the heiress of this company Yuri. You’re going to handle this matter with Mr Cho.”

She looked over to Mr Cho. He smirked lopsidedly. In his eyes was a glint of…cunningness.

“If that is all you’re going to tell me, I’m going to take my leave.”

“Aren’t you going to stay a while to have a drink with us, Yuri?” Mr Cho called out.

Yuri stopped by the door and turned around. She smiled as politely as she could. Stephanie avoided her gaze.

“No, thank you. I have other matters to attend to. Have a good night.”

* * *

Yuri leaned against her apartment wall with a hand, as her knees grew weak beneath her.

She felt worthless.

Hopeless.

Pathetic.

She did nothing but watch as the person she wanted to protect was violated in front of her. Stephanie was so close. And yet there was nothing she could do.

Nothing.

She is the second most powerful person in the entire nation of South Korea, and she is useless.

Yuri sat on the ground of her apartment. And despite the darkness that engulfed her, the light came to her as she finally started to realize the reason for Stephanie’s actions.

Stephanie was so close…but it’s too vast—

the space between us.


A/N: An update. Because it’s my birthday today ;) silky, you’re the best.