Chapter 2: Miracle

It Was Always You

Chapter 2: Miracle

“Hey guys look, it’s the nerd again.”

The group of girls laughed mockingly, and Yuri clutched her books tighter. She looked at the ground and quickened her steps.

“Hey Nerd, who said you could walk away?”

Her footsteps stopped abruptly when the girls surrounded her. She turned around, and her heart sank when she realized she had no where to run.

“Hey Nerd, we’re talking to you.” Someone pushed her. “Are you mute?”

Yuri bit her lips and continued staring at the ground, clutching her books closer to her.

Another girl scoffed. “Who does she think she is, not answering our questions. How rude.”

“We should teach her a lesson,” a third one said.

“Grab her.”

Rough hands gripped her elbows and her book dropped to the floor in a mess of folded pages. A kick to the back of her thighs brought her down to her knees, and a hard punch to her jaw sent her sprawling onto the floor. Someone kicked her ribs and she gasped. She held her arms up in defense as she felt bruises start to form. She knew they wouldn’t stop, not until she bled. So all she can do right now is to defend herself as best as she can, and pray for a miracle.

“Hey! What are you doing!”

The kicking stopped and Yuri sees the shoes disperse, making way for another pair.

"Well, well look who's here..."

"What is the new transfer girl doing meddling in other people's business...you got a death wish, ?"

"Get away from her."

The bullies laughed ridiculously at the command.

"And if we don't? What are you gonna do? Tell the teacher?"

"I've just witnessed student abuse with my own eyes, and I’ve recorded it, multiple times..." the transferee threatened, holding out her phone.

Multiple times...?

"...I can report this to the headmistress and each of you will be expelled, for physical abuse on another student, suspended indefinitely at best, on account of your parents’ generous donations to the school. I’m sure you’ll do fine outside even if you get expelled. You’ve got all your parents money to spend, and everyone else to beat up when things don’t go your way anyway.”

“Damn you,” the leader seethed.

“I’d be damned if I didn’t report this.”

The newcomer's sneakers had taken slow steady steps forward, and the leader's slowly faltered backwards.

“You watch out Hwang. We’ll get you one day.”

“I’ll be waiting for it.”

There was a moment of silence, then the bullies left.

"Hey are you okay?" Gentle hands pried her arms away from her face. The transferee, Hwang, looked at her with concern, her eyebrows furiously knitted together. "Let's take you to the infirmary."

Yuri nodded and allowed the girl to pull her up. A sharp pain shot through her ribcage, Yuri gasped, clutching her side.

"Can you walk?"

Yuri winced and nodded weakly, taking a slow step forward, and immediately doubling over. Hwang grabbed her before she fell.

"Don't force yourself." The new student took her arm, wrapping it around her own neck and held her waist with her other hand. "Take it slow."

Yuri winced in pain every time she took a step with her right foot, and was thankful for the support. Steadily, they hobbled towards the infirmary.

Despite her predicament, Yuri allowed herself a smile.

She had found her miracle.

* * *

The sound of pencil scribbling against a clipboard was the only sound in the otherwise quiet infirmary. Yuri laid on the bed and watched as Hwang wrung her hands in nervous anticipation, and she herself gulped anxiously.

"So...what did you say happened to her?" the nurse asked, suspicion written all over her face.

"She uhh, slipped and fell down the stairs, and hit the pole," Hwang lied.

The nurse narrowed her eyes. She raised an eyebrow in partial belief and slowly continued jotting down on her clipboard.

"Just so you know, the kind of bruises she got is not the kind that you get from falling down the stairs." Yuri saw the transfer student visibly stiffen. "But I'll let you off this time. I won't force you to tell me anything, but our staff and nurses are always here to help. Mmkay?"

They both sighed in relief.

"Yes...thank you."

The nurse smiled, a complete change from her earlier expression. "I'll call your parents so they can take you home. And you missy," pointing to Hwang, "better get to class."

"Y-yes."

The nurse left and Yuri was left with her saviour. There was an awkward, pregnant silence, and neither of them could say anything.

"So uhh, you heard her. I...gotta go."

Yuri nodded, because she didn't know what to say. The transferee moved to grab her bag and shouldered it, heading for the door.

"I'll get going."

"Thank you."

Hwang stopped and looked at her, a grin slowly starting to creep onto her face. Yuri realized that those were her first words since she met this stranger, and the girl was probably surprised that she decided to speak now. Or if she could speak at all.

"Thank you," Yuri repeated herself, "for just now. I...I don't know what would happen to me if you hadn't stopped them."

Yuri looked up from her clasped hands. Hwang was smiling now. "You're welcome."

Then she looked down, as if she thought of something funny, shook her head slightly, and opened the door.

"Wait. What's your name?"

"It's Stephanie. Hwang Stephanie."

"Nice to meet you Stephanie. I'm Kwon Yuri."

"Nice to meet you too, Yuri."

They both smiled at each other, a little lost for words.

"I'll uhh, get going. Don't wanna be late for class."

"I'll see you around."

Stephanie waved and she was out the door.

It felt like weeks...months, since Yuri smiled genuinely, and years since she felt a happy, bubbly feeling fluttering in her chest. She wonders when she’ll see Stephanie again.


A/N: A short one, while I sort things out. Dividing it was a bad idea. Plus, I didn't want to study D: